A better lithium battery

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2023, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
And if you would read the links you would learn, God forbid, that these batteries are using less expensive materials than the lithium ion batteries now use. But you'd rather snipe than learn maybe??
Learning requires TOO much energy as opposed to sniping (at an advancing age).
Old 02-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
As I mentioned several times before, battery technology (and electrical power generation centers) are NOT going to stop improving. We are like in the time period as far as E-vehicles go....... compared to about what 1900 WAS for ICE vehicles. Ice vehicles KEPT improving AND so will E-vehicles.
.......The US is EVEN paying people to participate in the future switch-over. It's ALL good !
What EV do you drive? Do you walk the walk?

-Tom Petty
Old 02-06-2023, 04:40 PM
Veteran member
Default Please use link

This just came onto internet today.
Things are improving.
Link below:

What Are Solid-State Batteries And Why Are They The Future?
Old 02-06-2023, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
I completely agree with you that lithium mining is fraught with inhumane conditions and needs reformation. Hopefully enough light gets shown on this abuse that international pressure pushes reforms in those countries and those corporations that allow it to continue.

Similar conditions existed in coal mining here and elsewhere for generations, and still exist in clothing manufacturing, other mining, and very likely in the production of the cell phone I use. Sadly we as consumers are certainly complicit in our inadvertent or even advertent worker and environmental abuses. And worker abuses do not only occur in the third world, only differing in the severity and breadth of those abuses. The horror stories from Qatar building the World Cup facilities is a good example of how this goes on even in a rich country.
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere (?) that there are some Lithium deposits located in Alaska. If so, it could be mined using modern US mining technology and mining equipment - instead of "slave labor". As far as US citizens trying to save the world and eliminating harmful child labor practices in foreign countries - I believe that we need to stop buying Apple stock and Apple products and Teslas made and sold in China. I remember distinctly that Chinese workers had such bad lives that they were jumping to their deaths from the roofs of Chinese manufacturing facilities.
.....Personally, if I never bought a Chinese product again, I would be a happy camper. And I would be willing to pay much more to buy US products. And we would NOT HAVE the EXTRA POLLUTION of the ocean ships from China.
.........America became wealthy historically with slavery and cotton production and then by the industrial revolution because we have the MOST navigable rivers in the 1st world and electrical production from waterfalls.
..........We could return to complete TOP RANKING American innovation and have both the world's best software companies AND the best AUTOMATED factories with the best A.I.
...........We don't really NEED China and their STEALING our technology. We have created our own BEST enemy.
........We are in a position to be the greatest innovator of ANY new technology like innovative new batteries for non-polluting E-vehicles. Like new-generation, cutting-edge, and safe Nuclear power generation. I hear too many people say that the US can't do THIS or can't do THAT and , "we don't want to change and please don't make us or we will "hold our breath". It is like we create our own speed bumps.
......Years ago the US beat the Russians to the MOON......HOW, by everybody working together. Today it is "EVERYBODY pull apart". This business about new technology for E-vehicles is just a perfect example of the non-acceptance of new ideas and the speed bumps and NAYSAYING. US attitudes changed in about the 1980s with outsourcing and business schools acquiring the "best and brightest" students instead of the students going into the Scientific and Engineering fields.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Here is one company that is already in business. They are accepting Lithium ion batteries. I cannot tell if they are stockpiling or actually doing the recycling which is a very fair question. But either way it will get recycled.
Tesla's website says " None of our scrapped lithium-ion batteries go to landfilling, and 100% are recycled." but does not indicate what company is doing the work or if they are reclaiming the raw materials now, or planning once facilities are built to then begin reclamation.
I am very concerned with batteries being recycled as I care about our planet. I just took a bunch of old Lithium ion batteries to our local toxic waste event for recycling.
Good for you. That's taking PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere (?) that there are some Lithium deposits located in Alaska. If so, it could be mined using modern US mining technology and mining equipment - instead of "slave labor". As far as US citizens trying to save the world and eliminating harmful child labor practices in foreign countries - I believe that we need to stop buying Apple stock and Apple products and Teslas made and sold in China. I remember distinctly that Chinese workers had such bad lives that they were jumping to their deaths from the roofs of Chinese manufacturing facilities.
.....Personally, if I never bought a Chinese product again, I would be a happy camper. And I would be willing to pay much more to buy US products. And we would NOT HAVE the EXTRA POLLUTION of the ocean ships from China.
.........America became wealthy historically with slavery and cotton production and then by the industrial revolution because we have the MOST navigable rivers in the 1st world and electrical production from waterfalls.
..........We could return to complete TOP RANKING American innovation and have both the world's best software companies AND the best AUTOMATED factories with the best A.I.
...........We don't really NEED China and their STEALING our technology. We have created our own BEST enemy.
........We are in a position to be the greatest innovator of ANY new technology like innovative new batteries for non-polluting E-vehicles. Like new-generation, cutting-edge, and safe Nuclear power generation. I hear too many people say that the US can't do THIS or can't do THAT and , "we don't want to change and please don't make us or we will "hold our breath". It is like we create our own speed bumps.
......Years ago the US beat the Russians to the MOON......HOW, by everybody working together. Today it is "EVERYBODY pull apart". This business about new technology for E-vehicles is just a perfect example of the non-acceptance of new ideas and the speed bumps and NAYSAYING. US attitudes changed in about the 1980s with outsourcing and business schools acquiring the "best and brightest" students instead of the students going into the Scientific and Engineering fields.
Oh... Where to start...

We can't drill in Alaska (for environmental reasons), but mining Lithium is just fine? (ever seen a lithium mine?)

We need to stop buying Apple stock/products? Why? Do you really think that ONLY Apple has their computers made in China?

Do you buy Nike products (I know you think running is better exercise). Have you heard about THEIR practices in China?

Stop buying Teslas made and sold in China? Er... Is ANYONE in the US buying Teslas "made and sold in China"? Let me answer that NO! The only Teslas sold in the US are manufactured in CA and TX...

Unfortunately, the US can't get out of it's own way with regards to innovation. That is why we're not building the new Nuclear plants needed to supply the electricity for your beloved EVs.

Too many rules, regulations, red tape, lobbyists etc, etc, etc...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-06-2023, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
There have always been Luddites, blueash, and TOTV seems to have more than its fair share.

Keep posting good articles and you may win a few over, but most will continue to stick their heads in the sand and nay-say everything new with "evidence" they have been using since the 1990's.
Well written !!!!!
Old 02-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You can certainly spend $80-$90K on an EV, just as you can on a gas vehicle, but you don't need to. There are many EVs available for much less. For example, the Tesla Model Y SUV is available for $55K minus the $7500 incentive from the IRS. The average new car price, by the way, is $50K.
I have to agree with that post.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
It seems the new technology will increase density but efficiency looks like it will be similar. So no real effect on the grid requirements. So longer ranges on a charge but same amount of kw per mile. Please correct me if this is not accurate.

Regardless, the mandate to eliminate ICE will have devastating consequences for out economy, safety and standard of living.

If the true intent was only to reduce fossil fuel demand then the government overlords would have required a shift to hybrids and fuel cells. That would be logical.

But we all know what the real motives are.
Nobody IS "mandating" people switch over from ICE vehicles to E-vehicles. California is creating a "carrot, not a stick" about legislation for about 2035. They will NOT stop (or imprison) anyone (or any Luddite) that PREFERS to keep buying used cars or driving 1965 VW Bettles even. We will ALL BE long DEAD and people in Fl. will STILL be driving ICE vehicles. But, at least, there will be maybe 20% to 40% fewer of them and hopefully better and less polluting Electrical generating power plants like new generation Nuclear types.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You can certainly spend $80-$90K on an EV, just as you can on a gas vehicle, but you don't need to. There are many EVs available for much less. For example, the Tesla Model Y SUV is available for $55K minus the $7500 incentive from the IRS. The average new car price, by the way, is $50K.
I like spending other people's money.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Fuel cells are problematic because of the low overall efficiency of generating hydrogen, the difficulty of storing hydrogen, and the lack of infrastructure to deliver hydrogen. While we may see some growth in the use of fuel cells for commercial vehicles that leave from and return to a common location, large scale use for personal travel is a tough sell.
Another seldom mentioned advantage of E-vehicle is that they will need MUCH less maintenance compared to ICE vehicles. A person's electrical battery drill and electrical washing motor spin in a circle as opposed to PISTONS flailing up one way and then reversing and flailing in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. It is just intuitively LOGICAL as to which one is going to be MORE RELIABLE. And E-vehicle has a lower center of gravity, which has INCREDIBLE advantages and also battery power vehicles have MUCH GREATER torque. A 50K Tesla can beat a 100K Corvette from zero to at least 50 MPH, maybe higher. Which is most US city speed limits. So basically, if you want to kick Butt from a stop light, get an E-vehicle.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
We are nowhere close to prime time for EV’s. There are so many issues with EV’s that will take decades to fix. Here are a few:
I have a relative in the northwest and he says a lot of the charging stations are damaged and the online mapping of these don’t indicate this,
Even the weather channel during the evacuation of the residents for Ian were telling people not to us an EV to leave in,
Not enough charging stations, too long to charge, long wait times at charging stations, range is too small, local mechanics can’t work on them, and the cost is too much. When the charging stations availability equals that of gas stations, when it takes the same amount of time to charge your car as it does to fill it up with gas, car prices are equal, and most mechanics can work on them, then I’ll be interested
Well today, the prices ARE equal. And since E-vehicles are POTENTIALLY MUCH MORE RELIABLE, then maintenance will be needed less often and YOUNG mechanics (that are NOT AFRAID of change) will quickly become comfortable repairing them. Body people will NOT have to change much, if any.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
I take it that you actually read the link to the news of a potentially better lithium battery, unlike some who just want to only whine about the elites, whoever they are.

Your question is why I asked if there are any P Chem people reading who could give more enlightened answers. It seems that if a battery of similar size and weight can hold a much greater deliverable amount of energy that your range is extended. But perhaps I don't fully grasp the physics. I don't see anything telling me whether that greater capacity would mean longer charge times.
The image in the original post suggests to me, and I may be entirely wrong in my interpretation, that a pound of lithium battery vs a pound of gasoline will provide the same amount of power to the car. [one gallon of gasoline weighs about six pounds]
Right now today with current technology most E-vehicles HAVE RANGE ANXIETY only in the minds of the uninformed. Especially for older people the range is greater than their capacity to drive without stopping overnight. Then they can simply charge up at a motel. Even during Hurricane IAN, many people had to wait in line to get GAS. And I remember the 1974 gas shortages. I rode my bicycle to work a lot. It would have been better in 1974 to have an E-vehicle and a solar cell generator.
...... This RANGE ANXIETY business is sort of a "straw man" argument that lacks logic!
Old 02-06-2023, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
From Tesla:
An average electric vehicle (EV) will need a replacement battery when it has lost 20% of its range. Most users have reported Tesla battery loss at only 5% after 100,000 miles.
Tesla batteries last between 300,000 to 500,000 miles. The average person drives 273 miles a week, so you can expect your Tesla battery to last anywhere from 21 to 35 years, depending on your driving habits.

Point being, Tesla batteries will rarely (if ever) need to be replaced. You’ll probably need to replace your car before you need to replace the battery.
People in the Villages will have to be on their 2nd REINCARNATION before they will need a new battery.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Thanks for the interesting article. But don't get upset by some of the responses you get here. There are quite a number of people here who post just to see their screen name in print. They think their replies are cuttingly smart, when thoughtful people recognize them as stupid and dumb.

Tags
battery, website, lithium, discussion, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.