Bonding out of jail

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Eternal Member
Default Bonding out of jail

We all read in the online news about these meth heads, PCP users, and other drug users who all look as though they don't have any money.

They are taken to jail and bond out on $2,000 or $3000 bond that supposedly guarantees their next court appearance. We then see future online stories that say they have been arrested again for missing a court date.

My question is how they keep getting bonded out over and over if they have forfeited one bond? Why would a bondsman do it again if he got stiffed once? I realize the bondsman charges at least 10% as his fee.

If the arrested person calls Mom or Dad for help with the bond and then skips out on the court appearance; one time should be the limit on that.

Just curious - no agenda or personal thing!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I've wondered if perhaps they're bonding out using credit cards.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

$2k or $3k is not difficult to come up with............that's a couple days of profitable dealing.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Sage

or working a truck stop
Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Platinum member
Angry Arrests and more arrests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
We all read in the online news about these meth heads, PCP users, and other drug users who all look as though they don't have any money.

They are taken to jail and bond out on $2,000 or $3000 bond that supposedly guarantees their next court appearance. We then see future online stories that say they have been arrested again for missing a court date.

My question is how they keep getting bonded out over and over if they have forfeited one bond? Why would a bondsman do it again if he got stiffed once? I realize the bondsman charges at least 10% as his fee.

If the arrested person calls Mom or Dad for help with the bond and then skips out on the court appearance; one time should be the limit on that.

When I was a young deputy sheriff in Tampa, we had a standing joke. If we arrested a prolific burglar or safe cracker, and that person made bond, we could look for a significant uptick in that kind of crime as he sought to raise money to pay his bondsman and lawyer.

The druggies you reference both buy and sell, as well as use, drugs. They have their bondsmen on speed dial. They have a track record with their personal bondsman who knows that he can front the money because they will pay him later.

Your opening sentence states that the arrestees "look as though they don't have any money." Actually, their drug addiction affects their personal grooming, but not their financial condition. That scruffy looking drug dealer may have $3,000 in cash in his pocket.

I have personal knowledge of some drug users who travel up from Tampa to our area to obtain drugs. Arrests don't deter them. They make bond and keep on going.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
When I was a young deputy sheriff in Tampa, we had a standing joke. If we arrested a prolific burglar or safe cracker, and that person made bond, we could look for a significant uptick in that kind of crime as he sought to raise money to pay his bondsman and lawyer.

The druggies you reference both buy and sell, as well as use, drugs. They have their bondsmen on speed dial. They have a track record with their personal bondsman who knows that he can front the money because they will pay him later.

Your opening sentence states that the arrestees "look as though they don't have any money." Actually, their drug addiction affects their personal grooming, but not their financial condition. That scruffy looking drug dealer may have $3,000 in cash in his pocket.

I have personal knowledge of some drug users who travel up from Tampa to our area to obtain drugs. Arrests don't deter them. They make bond and keep on going.

It's VERY sad that the parents (or grandparents) enable these folks in their addictions! I wish they'd demonstrate some "tough love" as it's not helping anyone. I can't imagine the heartache, much less the stress it all has on families!! I think we're seeing more and more of this here in The Villages.....
Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

The situation you describe is the judge's fault for setting the bond amount too low. The purpose of the bond is to ensure that the defendant will appear in court. The judge did not do his/her job and should be removed from office.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The situation you describe is the judge's fault for setting the bond amount too low. The purpose of the bond is to ensure that the defendant will appear in court. The judge did not do his/her job and should be removed from office.

Our justice system IS broken.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Our justice system IS broken.
Human way of life is broken
Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Walmart business model.........low prices, high volume.

Closed Thread

Tags
bond, court, arrested, bondsman, online

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.