NOT POLITICAL -What about FAIR CUTS

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default NOT POLITICAL -What about FAIR CUTS

Across the board percentage that cuts ALL programs!....Is this "do-able"?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Not unless you change some laws. Think about social security. How would you cut a percentage amount?

The biggest issue we have in cutting cost of government is how we run it. In business I am driven to cut cost every year as a percent of my revenue. In government I am driven to spend every cent of my budget. I support several government contracts. Every year along about July or August, there is a spending flurry. If a department or agency does not spend all their money, they will be cut by that amount the next year. So they will find a way to spend it. Even on things they don't need or make bad buying decisions.

There is zero incentive for them to cut cost. In business, that is how I am paid. My annual bonus has a significant component of how much I cut cost below budget. My employees are paid on what they save. Not true in the government. They are penalized if they don't spend it all. We need to change that and reward those that find ways to do more with less. Believe me the opportunity is there.

The way we manage the government today is wrong for saving money.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Sage
Default 12ridehd good points!

I know we all have programs that we would NOT want cut, lord only knows that SS would qualify and this is one program that SHOULD be self-sufficent, BUT congress has been dipping, so I thought maybe if all programs are cut equally by percentage, problem solved!...Just a thought and I'm sure it is not original!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Not unless you change some laws. Think about social security. How would you cut a percentage amount?

The biggest issue we have in cutting cost of government is how we run it. In business I am driven to cut cost every year as a percent of my revenue. In government I am driven to spend every cent of my budget. I support several government contracts. Every year along about July or August, there is a spending flurry. If a department or agency does not spend all their money, they will be cut by that amount the next year. So they will find a way to spend it. Even on things they don't need or make bad buying decisions.

There is zero incentive for them to cut cost. In business, that is how I am paid. My annual bonus has a significant component of how much I cut cost below budget. My employees are paid on what they save. Not true in the government. They are penalized if they don't spend it all. We need to change that and reward those that find ways to do more with less. Believe me the opportunity is there.

The way we manage the government today is wrong for saving money.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Good luck keeping this non-political. You won't be able to discuss many specifics and reasons why you can or cannot do any of this with getting "political", but in the spirit of the post I have to say it's a wonderful idea that cannot ever see the light of day because politicians all have their sacred cows to protect from such a proposal.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

One vote for No increase in any program and then have a mandatory separate vote on reducing or ending every program. This includes the military.. everything.
JJ
Old 04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Sage
Default Do you think Jim Jo

that we could get the majority of 535 members to agree??? It's too personal, everyone has their own little "goodie bag" they are protecting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoe View Post
One vote for No increase in any program and then have a mandatory separate vote on reducing or ending every program. This includes the military.. everything.
JJ
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.