Butterball or Honeysuckle ?

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
If you look near the chicken stock in the store you will see turkey stock. They usually have it around Thanksgiving. Buy it when you see it because it is not always there. Here is a link on how to make the gravy using the turkey stock.

Perfect Turkey Gravy Recipe

Have a happy turkey day!
thank-you very much.......i bought both gravy and turkey stock at aldi's last week.....i bought the stock for soup but now i'll make gravy with it instead
Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I sure hope you aren't speaking about turkey vultures,
which definitely are plentiful in Florida.

Ugh. I think I'm going to be sick.
Wow! Turkey vulture served on Thanksgiving Day. That cracked me up. Thanks for the laugh.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I paid .98/lb for a frozen butterball in 13lb Walmarts last week. To me it was more important to get the size I wanted then crossing my fingers, hoping for a better price.

My problem is that a friend of mine will be smoking my turkey too. That is kind of him and I appreciate it. I bought some jarred gravy but I'm wondering if there are any tricks of the trade to make the jarred gravy taste more like homemade gravy. I wonder if I could roast the stuff that's packed in the inside of the bird and the neck just to get some drippings?
Since your friend is smoking your turkey... I'm sorry, but that brings all sorts of hilarious comments to mind, but I'll exercise some self control. Anyway, you probably won't have any pan drippings.

I have a make ahead turkey gravy recipe that you make by roasting turkey wings (can buy separately in grocery store) and carrots & onions, then using those pan drippings and simmering everything in broth, then straining and thickening with flour. I make it every year and freeze it. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post or PM the recipe.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I make it every year and freeze it. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post or PM the recipe.
That sounds good too. Send the recipe, please.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The recipe and a video are here: Chef John's Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I use stock instead of water, don't use the thyme, and don't go to the trouble of browning the flour in the fat. I just shake the flour and a cup or two of water or stock in a jar till it's all liquified, then add it to the hot stock.

Don't feed any of the wing meat to your dog. I was up every two hours last night taking himself out. I made sure to head straight to my neighbor's lawn.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Sage

Just me but I stay away from Butterball. The last thing I need is a turkey injected with saturated fat. I go for a turkey breast since hardly anyone eats the dark meat anyways.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Just me but I stay away from Butterball. The last thing I need is a turkey injected with saturated fat. I go for a turkey breast since hardly anyone eats the dark meat anyways.
I'm a leg man.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I believe you're wrong about that. No fat is injected.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.