Buying shrimp in TV??!!?!

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Buying shrimp in TV??!!?!

I went to Sam's today to get shrimp. All they had was frozen and from INDONESIA!!!!
NO THANK YOU!
Then I went to Pubqlix and found their shrimp rings.......from INDONESIA!!!!
NO THANK YOU!

I live in FL and there is no domestic shrimp? At least in those two stores.

I do not but foods from non USA producers let alone shrimp from half way around the world.

Please spare me the globalness speech(es).

Is there a fresh seafood store anywhere near TV?

btk
Old 11-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I went to Sam's today to get shrimp. All they had was frozen and from INDONESIA!!!!
NO THANK YOU!
Then I went to Pubqlix and found their shrimp rings.......from INDONESIA!!!!
NO THANK YOU!

I live in FL and there is no domestic shrimp? At least in those two stores.

I do not but foods from non USA producers let alone shrimp from half way around the world.

Please spare me the globalness speech(es).

Is there a fresh seafood store anywhere near TV?

btk
I buy Florida wild-caught shrimp from Fresh Market. It is the only shrimp I will buy in this area. They have a brochure on their various shrimp kinds, and they claim their farm-raised shrimp comes from pristine farm conditions. Still, I stick to the FL wild caught.

Also, there is a seafood stand on 466. Right-hand side going west, I think somewhere between Rolling Acres and Belevedere. Maybe somebody will chime in with the exact location.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

How about checking with the guy that has a stand at the Brownwood farmer's market on Saturday mornings? He is usually setup by the Five guys restaurant.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.

Last edited by AriaGrandparents2013; 11-24-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Sage

I buy shrimp from the vendor at Brownwood. They also sell at what was the old fruit stand on 466. The shrimp are Florida shrimp and are delicious. It's Lighthouse Seafoods and they have a brick and mortar shop in Lake Mary. Their fish is all locally caught, fresh and delicious.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Couldn't remember the name......it's Lighthouse Seafood and we have bought from them at Brownwood and it was very good.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I buy shrimp from the vendor at Brownwood. They also sell at what was the old fruit stand on 466. The shrimp are Florida shrimp and are delicious. It's Lighthouse Seafoods and they have a brick and mortar shop in Lake Mary. Their fish is all locally caught, fresh and delicious.
Lighthouse Seafood also sells at Spanish Springs Farmers Market on Thursdays
Very good seafood.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Does anyone remember when shrimp were expensive and ordering a shrimp cocktail at a restaurant was living the high life? Shrimp are now cheap and we can afford to buy huge shrimp rings for not too much money. This is because shrimp aquaculture has grown from small subsistence level to huge aqua farms. These huge operations are mostly located in Asia though there are some in South America also. Complaining about your shrimp coming from Asia is like complaining about the asian goods sold in WalMart. Those products are there because we demand them at very low prices. For those who want to see these huge fish farms located in Florida, I would recommend reading up on the ecological damage that these factory operations cause to the local environments.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Has anyone purchased seafood from the person who has a add in the Daily Sun? It's small add and they deliver.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Interesting Article On Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Does anyone remember when shrimp were expensive and ordering a shrimp cocktail at a restaurant was living the high life? Shrimp are now cheap and we can afford to buy huge shrimp rings for not too much money. This is because shrimp aquaculture has grown from small subsistence level to huge aqua farms. These huge operations are mostly located in Asia though there are some in South America also. Complaining about your shrimp coming from Asia is like complaining about the asian goods sold in WalMart. Those products are there because we demand them at very low prices. For those who want to see these huge fish farms located in Florida, I would recommend reading up on the ecological damage that these factory operations cause to the local environments.
Here is the link to an interesting article regarding the nutritional, health and eco characteristics of shrimp farming in SE Asia versus the U.S. versus fresh caught.
A Quick Guide to Shrimp | Mark's Daily Apple
Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
I do not propose changing anything that is going on in the world. When I live in an area abundant in fresh or fresh frozen seafood there is no desire what so ever to have to eat the same thing from across the planet......NONE!
When I can look the guy in the face who caught it why would one buy from across the planet, with all the unknowns in between?

I do not equate food for the table from Asia to non-food stuffs at Walmart or anywhere else. And where there is an option it is always made in USA, FIRST.

But that is just me and how I prefer to do things.

btk
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Gold member

I get tired of this made in America crap. for many years my company earned a lot of money taking and bringing Asian goods. it sustained thousands of good paying jobs. even perishable foods like shrimp. remember asia is only hours away by air.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
I get tired of this made in America crap. for many years my company earned a lot of money taking and bringing Asian goods. it sustained thousands of good paying jobs. even perishable foods like shrimp. remember asia is only hours away by air.
To each his own. Yup my company did too. We literally caused hundreds of thousands of American jobs to be shipped out of the USA. I participated in industries where a place like GE Appliance Park in Louisville, KY went from 25,000 employes to less than 3,000. Another example is the machine tool industry...there was, once upon a time thousands of small and large machine tool manufactures here in the USA and now there are less than 300.

Not to mention all the supplier and support jobs that went away as well.

All in the name of increased profitability.......good for the company....bad for we the people.

Buying American is not "crap" for many of us.

btk
Old 11-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
The difference is I might buy dry goods from Asia, but I'm never eating the shrimp from Asia. It's a well-known fact that Asian shrimp are not farmed in a natural manner and spend a lot of time swimming around in their own crap in ponds that are not cleaned.

American... Florida... wild-caught. Fresh Market or Lighthouse.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Here is the link to an interesting article regarding the nutritional, health and eco characteristics of shrimp farming in SE Asia versus the U.S. versus fresh caught.
A Quick Guide to Shrimp | Mark's Daily Apple
Thanks, a lot of info on this site. Also a lot in his archive.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.