California and Electric vehicle truck deliveries

Old 12-30-2023, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
And climbing, that’s why they are trying to impose an exit tax on all its residents that are moving or have moved out of the state.
Exit tax… good luck with that once exited.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Whoever thought this was a good idea for semi-trailers wasn't thinking it thru.
Just another example that the world doesn't scale linearly. . .
And sometimes the design doesn't scale at all. .
Old 12-30-2023, 10:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Alabama Firefighters Pour 36,000 Gallons of Water Into Single Burning Car, Highlighting Deadly Problem on American Roadways

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-30-2023, 11:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Finally! An automobile fire that actually involved a lithium battery!

This fire was a Tesla car and not a electric delivery truck. But yes, electric vehicles can catch on fire and the fires are hard to extinguish. Fortunately, there are far fewer EV fires than there are ICE (gas/diesel) fires.

(Interestingly, the rate of hybrid fires is quite high. I still haven't found an explanation for why.)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-31-2023, 03:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

I have never had or known of a battery powered torch or watch to catch fire either!
Old 12-31-2023, 05:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Finally! An automobile fire that actually involved a lithium battery!

This fire was a Tesla car and not a electric delivery truck. But yes, electric vehicles can catch on fire and the fires are hard to extinguish. Fortunately, there are far fewer EV fires than there are ICE (gas/diesel) fires.

(Interestingly, the rate of hybrid fires is quite high. I still haven't found an explanation for why.)
Here's another one, a Tesla, parked. It is from last year, but I remembered it & the discussion it sparked, so I looked for the link. Apparently it is a problem for fire departments. Had this one combusted in an apartment parking garage rather than an outdoor parking lot, the results could have been disastrous.

Fully Involved Tesla Car Fire Takes 42 Minutes to Extinguish - Stamford Fire Department.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Here's another one, a Tesla, parked. It is from last year, but I remembered it & the discussion it sparked, so I looked for the link. Apparently it is a problem for fire departments. Had this one combusted in an apartment parking garage rather than an outdoor parking lot, the results could have been disastrous.

Fully Involved Tesla Car Fire Takes 42 Minutes to Extinguish - Stamford Fire Department.
Yeah, they happen, but far less frequently than ICE vehicles. If an ICE vehicle combusts in an apartment parking garage rather than an outdoor parking lot, the results could be disastrous.

It would be interesting to know the cause of the fire. Yes, the batteries made the fire worse, but did they cause the fire or were they ignited by the fire?

Another thing to wonder about: Was the battery fire extinguished or did the batteries simply burn out? Would the results have been the same if the water was used only to contain the fire rather than extinguish it? Or, would that have risked explosion rather than a 42 minute burn? I don't know the answer and haven't found any discussion, I'm just curious.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 12-31-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Another fire. Not sure the intended use of the Lithium batteries.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...cb85d21&ei=127
Old 12-31-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Yeah, they happen, but far less frequently than ICE vehicles. If an ICE vehicle combusts in an apartment parking garage rather than an outdoor parking lot, the results could be disastrous.

It would be interesting to know the cause of the fire. Yes, the batteries made the fire worse, but did they cause the fire or were they ignited by the fire?

Another thing to wonder about: Was the battery fire extinguished or did the batteries simply burn out? Would the results have been the same if the water was used only to contain the fire rather than extinguish it? Or, would that have risked explosion rather than a 42 minute burn? I don't know the answer and haven't found any discussion, I'm just curious.

IMO less cause there are less and EV are fairly new. IMO that number will go up as they age, just like ICE vehicles.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:50 AM
Default Caulifornia - tax WILL follow you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Exit tax… good luck with that once exited.
Issue with a county tax in CA; took five years to get it off my credit report even though paid within a month. Dinged big time.

Corp tax in CA. I paid two years after leaving the state, $750 minimum per year to the fascists.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Issue with a county tax in CA; took five years to get it off my credit report even though paid within a month. Dinged big time.

Corp tax in CA. I paid two years after leaving the state, $750 minimum per year to the fascists.
I wouldn’t have paid it, at my age I don’t care about credit report cause I haven’t had loan for 20 years.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Always wondered why people worried about credit rating after retirement.
I haven't had a decent credit rating for donkeys years.
Couldn't care less.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Always wondered why people worried about credit rating after retirement.
I haven't had a decent credit rating for donkeys years.
Couldn't care less.
Credit rating and credit reports are used for more than just mortgages these days. If this has worked for you, great. It might not work for everyone.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-31-2023, 10:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Electricity

I get the whole don’t pollute, I really do. I also get how cool it would be to run everything on electricity. California is all smoke and mirrors though. They are by far the largest importer of electricity in the US (PA is the largest exporter). That electricity is produced in large part with natural gas, coal and some renewables. The state also has problems staying out of blackouts.

While leaders spew their lies and dreams that are nowhere close to the truth, the residents in that state suffer. I have to laugh at the latest “No gas stove” initiative that hampers homeowners, but allows restaurants to cook as they wish. IMHO, the state is ripe for a turnover in governance.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 12-31-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
IMHO, the state is ripe for a turnover in governance.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If Chicago and NYC are any indication, people continue to do the same things over and over while expecting different (better) results. The problems get worse, but the people never wise up or change. I'm not sure if it is bc they are so ignorant that they don't see the connection between their actions and the outcome or bc they are so ignorant that they believe the lies and promises each time around and never learn their lesson.

Tags
link, work, logged, disclaimer, apologies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.