Camara phones have changed our lives

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2021, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It would be POSSIBLE to decrease black and white "friction". it would require a somewhat "big brother" solution that most people would NOT go for. But, for argument's sake, the government could increase the blending of races by paying women and couples to give birth by artificial insemination to children of races different from themselves. Increased blending would likely decrease friction. Of course, many people would find fault with such a system that it would NOT be utilized. I guess that it is possible that in a few hundred years that the whole earth's population is blended. And maybe even national borders are eliminated then?
I missed this chapter in the book 1984.......which chapter was it?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
That statement involves holding a grudge for a VERY long time. It also contains a smattering of racial overtones.
I for one am tired of the race card. It has been so overused, that I have built an immunity to it. It is effective because if you look for it you will see it even when it is not there. Perhaps, even more important it is impossible to prove I am not a racist so I will not even bother trying.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well I watched all of the footage, and I saw and heard George Floyd refusing to sit in the squad car, after refusing to get out of his own car and later struggle against four policemen. I saw him apparently quite high on something inside the store. I saw that he was a very large man in apparent excellent physical shape and he towered over the smaller police officers. It appeared to take all four to restrain him.

The cameras, nor the trial mentioned that George Floyd had been arrested and convicted for breaking into a home and holding a gun to the belly of a pregnant woman while four others robbed the home. He must have continued to do illegal things because the store clerk called the police in the first place because he passed a counterfeit twenty dollar bill. Correct me if I am wrong on either what I saw or what I read from sources I vetted.
You are not suggesting anyone with a record should just be eliminated.......are you?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Suggested reading.....BLACK LIKE ME.......John Howard Griffin

Might give you a more realistic viewpoint
Right, because that book written 60 years ago is totally relevant now, good grief. Do race relations need work? Yes, however, the great inroads that were made into the problem are being lost by the constant yammering that everyone is racist. It is driving deep wedges were there were none. Have an in-depth conversation with a black pastor who can speak anonymously and it will help open your eyes.

Last edited by Aces4; 04-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You are not suggesting anyone with a record should just be eliminated.......are you?
I believe she was pointing out that he had been a serious threat in the past. Are you aware people on drugs can be very difficult to control and on occasions have been able to remove weapons from officers?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Well I watched all of the footage, and I saw and heard George Floyd refusing to sit in the squad car, after refusing to get out of his own car and later struggle against four policemen. I saw him apparently quite high on something inside the store. I saw that he was a very large man in apparent excellent physical shape and he towered over the smaller police officers. It appeared to take all four to restrain him.

The cameras, nor the trial mentioned that George Floyd had been arrested and convicted for breaking into a home and holding a gun to the belly of a pregnant woman while four others robbed the home. He must have continued to do illegal things because the store clerk called the police in the first place because he passed a counterfeit twenty dollar bill. Correct me if I am wrong on either what I saw or what I read from sources I vetted.
OK. There is a mild correction to be made. Inside the store, he appeared about as normal as the average person at any Walmart in the country. I have seen a lot worse. AT best he could be thought of as mildly high, not "quite" high. I see that as a perception thing.

I would not have liked to be killed (legally speaking-murdered) by Police officers for passing a $20 bill, which I might not even have known was counterfeit. And if they could not have handled him WITHOUT murdering him, then they needed to call for backup. Also, the Police have psychologists for situations like that - it is obvious that Floyd had acquired an unrealistic FEAR of Police somewhere in his lifetime. Many blacks have that same fear. Many whites have led sheltered lives of privilege that have insulated them from real-world Police encounters. So, my conclusion is that depending on people's background, they have different slants and perceptions on the Floyd incident. I think that the jury was correct!
Old 04-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
OK. There is a mild correction to be made. Inside the store, he appeared about as normal as the average person at any Walmart in the country. I have seen a lot worse. AT best he could be thought of as mildly high, not "quite" high. I see that as a perception thing.

I would not have liked to be killed (legally speaking-murdered) by Police officers for passing a $20 bill, which I might not even have known was counterfeit. And if they could not have handled him WITHOUT murdering him, then they needed to call for backup. Also, the Police have psychologists for situations like that - it is obvious that Floyd had acquired an unrealistic FEAR of Police somewhere in his lifetime. Many blacks have that same fear. Many whites have led sheltered lives of privilege that have insulated them from real-world Police encounters. So, my conclusion is that depending on people's background, they have different slants and perceptions on the Floyd incident. I think that the jury was correct!
I think if you would serve as a police officer for one week in the inner cities we would have even more “murders” like this. It’s easy to sit outside the equation and judge.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
I think that Steve Jobs knew exactly the degree that a camera phone would change people's lives. He probably thought constantly about change and technical innovation. He wanted his devices to be people-friendly not just expert-friendly. Derrick Chauvin had his life changed by the camera phone. And that could possibly end up as a landmark pivot in human and race relations?

History shows that is wrong. The development of the Atomic bomb. Brilliant people thought it was impossible. Others perhaps some the same thought if we ever successfully created such a chain reaction it would continue till the earth consumed itself. Others, the Rosenbergs, illegally shared the information with Russia believing we must have balance.

We tend to think somethings are good some are evil. Some people/companies are good and some are evil. We tend to edit reality to support our views. Steve Jobs, Apple are not saints. They are influential they have changed our reality. We have no choice but to accept fact spinning. Aside-Apple allowed workers in China to be driven so hard that several workers committed suicide by jumping out the factory window.

In the real world nothing is 100% good or evil. Balance? That is not a clear line. It is usually a moving line. Often, usually, people think the line belongs in different places.
The simple reason for differing views. It should be clear to all it seems that solution is impossible till people look for a deal. A deal is not, can not be I get everything and you get nothing. Any such deal will sooner or later fail. History shows that is so.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
The "good old days" had one advantage - the wealth gap was decreasing!
The wealth gap is because of companies like Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, to name a few.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I believe she was pointing out that he had been a serious threat in the past. Are you aware people on drugs can be very difficult to control and on occasions have been able to remove weapons from officers?
How were those officers aware of his past record, while pinning him to the pavement?
Old 04-22-2021, 03:23 PM
Sage

Quote:

We all tend to spin facts to support our view. We due to language say such things as many whites. I am white. My dad was a wounded wwII COMBAT VET. We were poor.
I lived in a city housing project till I was 13. White privilege? Huh. Childhood issues?
I should get reparations because my parents taught me self responsibility. My parents taught me if you want something, if you need something you must work for it. Hum, clearly I should get reparations.

You do not choose the cards you are dealt, you do choose how you play them.

Obviously, I was not on the jury. I'm not sure how I would have voted. It should be clear to all that all were aware if they did not find the police officer guilty it would be yet another excuse for riots.

The drugs that Floyd was on were developed by the Germans in WWII. They suppress the centers of the brain that control what we call morality-this is wrong. They also suppress fear. The normal thought hey, I shouldn't do this. Floyd was no saint even the press tried to paint him as such. Floyd had a long and violent criminal record. Floyd out weighed the cop by over 50 lbs.

Proper verdict? I suppose it was the best verdict possible for we the people.

I do not claim to have answers. Whatever the verdict is there is no way it can or would end well.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:

OMG - Have you ever sat on a jury ? George Floyd was not on trial. He could be the worst guy on earth - it don't matter. Did you listen to the part when the three laws were read word by word and the definitions of those words given. Then the jury is instructed that is the sole criteria the evidence is to be weighed against. Usually the judge will say something to the order of that is the law you are to rate against it and only it. You may not like the law but too bad. It is the law until it is changed the proper way and not for you to do something different at this time.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I disagree with only one part of that post. Namely, the "things are pretty good". If things are so good, then WHY does the US have the greatest wealth disparity of 1st world nations. Things started going south in about 1975 when average wages no longer increased with respect to inflation.
In 1976 Steve Jobs built his first computer. The wealth gap increased with companies like Apple. It seems everyday Americans are blamed for a wealth gap made by a few ultra wealthy companies. There has also been a massive increase in immigration since 1975. It takes a couple of generations to catch up if you don’t read, write, or speak the language of the country you live in. I know this is getting off the original subject.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,466 Posts

So, I can’t record private conversation without consent and not be entered as evidence in courts of law, why taking video without consent allowed in court of law? What difference?
Old 04-22-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
We all tend to spin facts to support our view. We due to language say such things as many whites. I am white. My dad was a wounded wwII COMBAT VET. We were poor.
I lived in a city housing project till I was 13. White privilege? Huh. Childhood issues?
I should get reparations because my parents taught me self responsibility. My parents taught me if you want something, if you need something you must work for it. Hum, clearly I should get reparations.

You do not choose the cards you are dealt, you do choose how you play them.

Obviously, I was not on the jury. I'm not sure how I would have voted. It should be clear to all that all were aware if they did not find the police officer guilty it would be yet another excuse for riots.

The drugs that Floyd was on were developed by the Germans in WWII. They suppress the centers of the brain that control what we call morality-this is wrong. They also suppress fear. The normal thought hey, I shouldn't do this. Floyd was no saint even the press tried to paint him as such. Floyd had a long and violent criminal record. Floyd out weighed the cop by over 50 lbs.

Proper verdict? I suppose it was the best verdict possible for we the people.

I do not claim to have answers. Whatever the verdict is there is no way it can or would end well.
Obviously, if your vote was to aquit when police officers, doctors, experts testified under oath that Chauvin murdered Floyd, you would have been in the minority. Please, let's not forget, this was not about Floyd record or health, it was about nine and half minutes of Chauvin's knee on Floyd neck over a $20 contf. bill. Thank you Steve Job for camera phone.
Closed Thread

Tags
changed, lives, camara, life, outcome

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.