Can you timeshare a new pick up truck?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 09:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We own a truck. Anytime a neighbor needs it, we lend it. So uncomplicated. And neighborly. The dogs love it too.
you are very kind--i have a wood shop and offered it to my neighbors

i believe in sharing too
Old 04-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
In addition to all the listed ideas why this won't work is the fact that leases restrict the miles the vehicle can be driven.

24 users 12,000 miles per year
each user gets 1,000 miles---go over and you pay---i want a pu to go to lowes, 1 mile awa

And insurance,
you get a quote

maintenance,
everything is under warranty, the dealership can brake out the costs in advance

etc... would be a nightmare. Not to mention that no one would treat the vehicle as if they owned it.

why not?----if i borrow something i take better care of it---i won't let a friend down
What happens if it's your turn to use the truck and it is in the shop waiting for parts for 5 days? Then everyone on the sharing plan would be running for cover when the vehicle is turned in when the lease is done. Nice concept but no dice.

What if the person before you holds up a store then puts the truck in your driveway and the next guy gets pulled over and overreacts and gets hurt.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

There are ways this could work. I have done it with airplanes and sailboats. Can't be done as cheap as you think, but can be done. First thing you do is form a club. Elect a president, VP, maintenance officer and treasurer, develop a set of bylaws to manage it. In the flying club these folks got 6 hours a year free and the sailboat 6 days a year free.

Some suggestions. 24 is way to many. The most I ever got the plane to work was 12. 6 to 8 works best. You buy it, don't lease it. All costs get divided into three buckets.

First bucket is a share price to join the club. That is all club assets divided by the number of members. And a vote is required to change the share price. So to start, a new truck is say $28,000, divided by 10 members so $2800 each. Shares can be bought and sold as members want to move on. Share price changes as assets and asset value changes but only by a club vote which is established in the bylaws.

One bucket is all costs to own it with zero use. In other words, you own it and it is always ready to use. You need a scheduling service like an answering service. You need a garage to keep it in, probably rented. Airplane we rented a hanger and sailboat a marina slip. All these costs are your monthly dues. You pay them weather you use it or not. If you finance it, that lowers the share price but increases the monthly dues.

Then the next bucket is all cost for every use. And establish a minimum use. For an airplane we used one HOB (hours on board), a sailboat one day, so for a truck, maybe 25 miles and 4 hours. For a truck these costs would be gas, oil changes, tires, maintenance intervals, all costs incurred to start it and move it. Probably broken down to x cents a mile used. These are billed each month to those who use it on top of their dues.

So again I say it can be done. But not as cheap as you think. However it is always cheaper then owning.

For airplanes this worked very well as only about half the members ever used the plane but all fixed costs were shared by all members. And a plane requires certain maintenance. We did 100 hour plus annual inspections. You replaced the engine every 1800 to 2000 hours which was built into the usage cost so we always had the money ready for the engine overhaul or replacement.

For a sailboat it was harder as the maintenance was a lot less defined. So we had to have a contingency maintenance fund that was fairly expensive. We maintained 10K is this emergency fund and went through it often. So this required special assessments every once in a while. For the heavy users this was fine, for the occasional users not so much.

For a truck this would probably not be an issue. With good care, regular oil changes, new tires and brakes when needed, not much else goes wrong.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Anyone think of an Uber pick up truck.
Closed Thread

Tags
person, lease, payment, pick, truck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.