Casey - Innocent until proven guilty?

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Gold member

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find ‘The Wizard Of Ahs’, err I mean Judge Belvin Perry irritatingly slow in delivering his pronouncements. It seems to take him forever to complete even the simplest sentence.

I realize he is well regarded in the legal community for his knowledge of criminal law proceedings, but I could prepare a three course dinner in the time it takes him to announce a fifteen minute recess.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

The only thing that I heard about a bone being in the 'muck' was when Ashton was cross-examining the female defense botanist, and he asked her about a hip bone that he said was buried about 4 inches into the muck when the remains were found. (That was when she replied that that would mean that either the bone would have been there more than two weeks, or that the other explanation for it being buried that deeply was that a dog or coyote could have buried it).

I haven't heard all of the testimony though; did someone testify that the skull was also partially buried when it was found, since Kronk's phone call clearly says that the skull rolled out of the bag when he poked at it with his meter stick?

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Platinum member
Default Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
The only thing that I heard about a bone being in the 'muck' was when Ashton was cross-examining the female defense botanist, and he asked her about a hip bone that he said was buried about 4 inches into the muck when the remains were found. (That was when she replied that that would mean that either the bone would have been there more than two weeks, or that the other explanation for it being buried that deeply was that a dog or coyote could have buried it).

I haven't heard all of the testimony though; did someone testify that the skull was also partially buried when it was found, since Kronk's phone call clearly says that the skull rolled out of the bag when he poked at it with his meter stick?
Freeda, look at post #229. Jeff Ashton, the prosecutor, even demonstrated how deep the skull was in muck on his cross with Dr. Bock. Apparently, this may have been what the photos that were presented in court showed. To me, these discrepancies bring into question discovery of the remains site tampering (in all fairness to which Ashton would not have any involvement) by someone there. You're right, it was a portion of leg bone they were discussing as well as possibly being buried 4 inches in the muck by animals .

I'm not sure what a lot of this has to do with anything because whatever happened was not right...a child is dead. I just think there are too many fabrications all around and they are coming from both sides. Roy Kronk was not even consistent in what he said (sometimes he used his meter stick; another time, he picked up the bag and it rolled out; etc.) To me, what's important is the truth....not victories and/or the politics of anyone. Caylee is the one who deserves the victory....the truth.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Last edited by dillywho; 06-26-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

I wish I had heard the testimony of the crime scene investigators who first responded to the scene, to know what they said about the state the skull and other remains were in, insofar as whether they were stuck in the ground/muck or not, vs. lying loose and freely on the ground or in the bag; since Kronk's account (at least, his first one) was clearly stating that the skull was loose and rolled out of the bag.

So, I wonder if Jeff Ashton's questions to the defense's botanist (and perhaps to other witnesses?) describing the skull as being stuck in the ground when it was discovered were in error as to this point (the significance of which is to dispel the defense's theory that the remains had been moved; and, thus, that someone may have tampered with them, placed the duct tape etc - to add confusion and uncertainty about what actually had happened). If Ashton was in error in framing his questions with this description (ie, in stating that the skull was partially embedded in the muck when found), I'm surprised that the defense didn't catch this and object, if there was no evidence on which that question was based. My brains are getting exhausted from trying to digest all of the minutiae, and wondering whether there is just one small point that might clear up all of the confusion so we can know, for sure, exactly what happened. I suspect we will never know, for sure, which is part of what I think makes this case so intriguing, and also sad. Still keeping an open mind, but it still seems to me at this point that there are only two viable explanations, both bad for Casey.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
I wish I had heard the testimony of the crime scene investigators who first responded to the scene, to know what they said about the state the skull and other remains were in, insofar as whether they were stuck in the ground/muck or not, vs. lying loose and freely on the ground or in the bag; since Kronk's account (at least, his first one) was clearly stating that the skull was loose and rolled out of the bag.

So, I wonder if Jeff Ashton's questions to the defense's botanist (and perhaps to other witnesses?) describing the skull as being stuck in the ground when it was discovered were in error as to this point (the significance of which is to dispel the defense's theory that the remains had been moved; and, thus, that someone may have tampered with them, placed the duct tape etc - to add confusion and uncertainty about what actually had happened). If Ashton was in error in framing his questions with this description (ie, in stating that the skull was partially embedded in the muck when found), I'm surprised that the defense didn't catch this and object, if there was no evidence on which that question was based. My brains are getting exhausted from trying to digest all of the minutiae, and wondering whether there is just one small point that might clear up all of the confusion so we can know, for sure, exactly what happened. I suspect we will never know, for sure, which is part of what I think makes this case so intriguing, and also sad. Still keeping an open mind, but it still seems to me at this point that there are only two viable explanations, both bad for Casey.
I think you are very right, counselor. I am VERY curious to find what has happened in chambers, just as Donna says.

It seems that the family is doing all they can to save her life. I am so confused as to what Lee was crying about...not knowing his sister was pregnant? no. I don't think he was her lover or anything sinister like that.....but what is he crying over?

It is just one of the most overwhelming, and bitterly sad things a person could witness. All these nice looking, on the surface...normal people and all this horrible mess just under the surface. I think Casey will never tell what really happened but I have to wonder if it happened when she was drunk or high. She obviously has no remorse.

That dear little girl.....it is so sad.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you are very right, counselor. I am VERY curious to find what has happened in chambers, just as Donna says.
Wild-haired guess, based on ... nothing: Whether to let the family stay in court during testimony, as they will again be called as witnesses. Even worse wild-haired speculation: Something to do with a witness impeaching himself/herself and/or possible perjury changes.

... or it could be something boring.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Sage

I heard speculation today that the jury was sent home today so the judge could look into some allegations of evidence tampering. I don't know if it is true or not.

Another speculation was that Casey was ready to cope a plea. Another interesting thing is the judicial ruling (which doesn't affect this trail at the moment) that Florida's death penalty is unconstitutional. That has apparently been discussed more than once in Florida.

Either way, we can't lose sight of what this entire thing is about. That is justice for the three year old little girl whose body was dumped in a trash heap. Somebody knows what happened. Somebody and God. I would be scared to death holding a secret like that.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default After watching channel 6

Noticed that Casey was given a mean stearn look to Chaney Mason....Do you think they were going to Mason's office to retrieve the remainder of his paperwork on this case because he was fired!....He is pro bono, so I'm sure it would not take much for him to say "good bye"!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I am anxious to see, what took place behind closed doors on Sat...
If Casey knows what's good for her, she will take a plea, if one is on the table!!!
I'll bet, she gets about 40 years or more..Any thoughts????
I do not think that she will plea. Furthermore, I think that this case will drag on through appeals so that due to our age, some of us will not live long enough to see how it ends.

C
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I heard speculation today that the jury was sent home today so the judge could look into some allegations of evidence tampering. I don't know if it is true or not.

Another speculation was that Casey was ready to cope a plea. Another interesting thing is the judicial ruling (which doesn't affect this trail at the moment) that Florida's death penalty is unconstitutional. That has apparently been discussed more than once in Florida. Either way, we can't lose sight of what this entire thing is about. That is justice for the three year old little girl whose body was dumped in a trash heap. Somebody knows what happened. Somebody and God. I would be scared to death holding a secret like that.
Looks like you may have hit that head-on BK. I guess that's what is being discussed right now in Chambers.

God forbid they call a mis-trial.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
Looks like you may have hit that head-on BK. I guess that's what is being discussed right now in Chambers.

God forbid they call a mis-trial.
Looks like she can wipe that crazy smile off her face now!

264212_179337645458796_161095267283034_490793_1941768_n-jpg

I was on pins and needles when they announced the reason for the conference and Judge Perry was making his announcement. I really thought she had a chance to be declared incompetent. Thank God for the justice system.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What happened? I am packing...Oh someone tell me.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

The defense had filed a motion on Saturday asking the Judge to determine whether Casey was mentally competent to continue trial. He had 3 psychologists examine her over the weekend, and found her to be competent; so 'Court is in Session!'

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Default Father of the child

I bet the brother is the father of the child,,,,that is the reason he was excluded for the pregnancy and birth....just my two cents!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
I bet the brother is the father of the child,,,,that is the reason he was excluded for the pregnancy and birth....just my two cents!
They've already done DNA tests and have determined that he IS NOT the father of Caylee.

I think I just sounded like Jerry Springer!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.