The States with the highest SAT scores.

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The States with the highest SAT scores.

The states with the highest and lowest SAT scores

The writer says that families with higher income have students who score higher on the SAT and attributes that to being able to pay for tutoring. I think it could be because of higher I.Q.

West Virginia scores quite a bit higher than New York State and Washington D.C. is the bottom of the list.

What do you think about this?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

What blew me away was the low participation rates of the highest scoring states, 2 - 3%!

Historically many western state colleges used the ACT rather than the SAT although most students took both.

I find it sad that the SAT keeps getting dumbed down.

Thank you for this post, Gracie. It is informative.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-06-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage

Interesting!!

I don't know why there is controversy about I.Q. tests. It helps us understand how and what and when and why a person may learn a certain way. High I.Q. does not mean success in life or a high income.

We are not all born equal, but we ARE all born valuable...unless we harm others.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage

One of my teaching friends who was the Social Studies Department Chairman had a brilliant plan that worked. When his 3 girls became freshman he would pay them $10/hour [15 years ago] on Saturday, every Saturday to seriously take a 4 hour SAT test. You can buy the tests and answers. How much did that really cost him? Where did the money go?

Two girls went into the academies Navel and Air Force. One got a scholarship to Princeton. Share this with your children and grandchildren.
Full-length, Free SAT Practice Tests | The Princeton Review

Last edited by tomwed; 08-06-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

No surprise............Midwest people have been the smartest for a very long time.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No surprise............Midwest people have been the smartest for a very long time.

Right here in River City....

Ya better hide, Dew.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Those with lower IQ are just as valuable as those with higher IQs because the latter won't do menial jobs.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The states with the highest and lowest SAT scores

The writer says that families with higher income have students who score higher on the SAT and attributes that to being able to pay for tutoring. I think it could be because of higher I.Q.

West Virginia scores quite a bit higher than New York State and Washington D.C. is the bottom of the list.

What do you think about this?
How can anyone compare states if the participation is different? For example if one state has a 60% participation rate and another [DC] 100% would it seem reasonable to remove the lowest 40% from [DC]? and re-average. Only 42% of the students in DC are on track to graduate.
I don't think this study by itself tells half the story.

AP Program Participation and Performance Data 2017 – Research – College Board
I would take a look at this information too if so inclined.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,478 Times in 549 Posts

I have read that a number (don’t know how many) of universities are no longer requiring SAT/ACT scores. I always thought they were used in combination with HS grades and extra curriculars to determine who would be accepted. Does that just leave HS grades & extracurriculars for decision-making purposes?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I have read that a number (don’t know how many) of universities are no longer requiring SAT/ACT scores. I always thought they were used in combination with HS grades and extra curriculars to determine who would be accepted. Does that just leave HS grades & extracurriculars for decision-making purposes?
The school's names escape me but they were the most difficult to enter. IMHO to be a good candidate you need to do something different.

My oldest had an academic scholarship so I told him to take summer online courses for his electives to make the workload easier during the school year. My younger son did the same. I told the oldest one after his freshman year not to worry about a summer job like the other college kids for room and board. I'll cover most of that. I told him to dress professionally and knock on every mechanical engineering company door he could find in our area of NJ asking for summer work. Tell them salary does not matter. He came home empty handed. I told them in a couple of days go back and knock on all the same doors. This will make you different. He got a job for $10/hr for 20 hours a week and agreed to work another 20 hours a week for free in return for the lessons he would learn. After his BS degree he got 3 fellowships and ended up with a PHD, debt free. In every application he told the door knocking story. They all want to know what makes you different.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
The school's names escape me but they were the most difficult to enter. IMHO to be a good candidate you need to do something different.

My oldest had an academic scholarship so I told him to take summer online courses for his electives to make the workload easier during the school year. My younger son did the same. I told the oldest one after his freshman year not to worry about a summer job like the other college kids for room and board. I'll cover most of that. I told him to dress professionally and knock on every mechanical engineering company door he could find in our area of NJ asking for summer work. Tell them salary does not matter. He came home empty handed. I told them in a couple of days go back and knock on all the same doors. This will make you different. He got a job for $10/hr for 20 hours a week and agreed to work another 20 hours a week for free in return for the lessons he would learn. After his BS degree he got 3 fellowships and ended up with a PHD, debt free. In every application he told the door knocking story. They all want to know what makes you different.
Very good direction dad. Makes me want to hug you.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Very good direction dad. Makes me want to hug you.
You were a teacher. How many times have you seen a teacher wipe out after the first 6 months on the job for any number of reasons. I really didn't know for sure if I could be a teacher until I did it for a long time. And when I figured out how I could stay in education and not have any classes I loved going to work.

One of the problems in education is that kids spend too much time getting ready to work. I've had many apprentices. I wanted my son to find out ASAP if he liked the work.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Interesting; I grew up in Missouri #4, have also lived in Kansas #5, North Dakota #6, Iowa #3, and Minnesota #1. I feel certain I have brought the collective IQ down in each.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 PM

I believe you mean Naval Academy.

A Navel Academy would be something different ..such as the study of Oranges or study of "I dream of Jeanie "seminars
Old 08-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
I believe you mean Naval Academy.

A Navel Academy would be something different ..such as the study of Oranges or study of "I dream of Jeanie "seminars
I meant to fix that and forgot. aw nuts

My dad was in love with Jeanie. My brother in law would tease him about it and even when he was 80 he would turn red.
Closed Thread

Tags
higher, sat, scores, bit, virginia

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.