CBDC aka Central Bank Digital Currency

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Speed limiters - bad idea due to being a safety risk
- Would encourage "foot-down" driving. If the car will limit the top speed then why not just put the pedal to the floor and let the car do the rest similar to how I drive my golf cart? It would effectively increase all speed limits by 10mph
- Would likely not pick up reduced-speed areas (work zones, school zones, variable speed zones). Could result in high speeds through dangerous areas.
- Could potentially pick up lower speed limits in error. My car reads signs to let me know what the speed limit is. It frequently picks up the signs for exit ramps and tells me that the limit is now 45mph rather than the 70mph I was traveling. If the vehicle also engaged the brakes to slow down to that incorrect speed it could cause an accident.
- Could limit options to emergency situations. Let's say I'm attempting to pass a car when suddenly an oncoming car appears (might have come around a curve, been hidden by an obstacle, rose out of a low area, maybe I just overlooked it). Depending on where I am in the pass, the right answer might be to accelerate to complete the pass and get out of the way. If the vehicle took away that option by preventing me from accelerating that would create the potential for an accident.

Central bank control of digital currency - Not sure if I care / living it now
- I use cash so infrequently now that I am effectively living in a cashless society already
- There are already restrictions on what I can purchase with a credit card - Marijuana products for example.
- Even cash is difficult to use for very high value exchanges.
- It's hard to be supportive of a concern that if cash goes away then people will have harder time conducting illegal activities.
- I feel like the focus should be on changing laws that restrict activities rather then ensuring there is a method to violate the laws

I am much more concerned about the slow whittling away of our freedoms happening now (restricted access to books, internet, high school and college courses, "public" information, speech, voting) than I am about a conspiracy about global elites taking away my ability to buy THC gummies.
Not sure where you get your information, I not long ago bought THC gummies with my credit card?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,403 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdrm View Post
Not sure where you get your information, I not long ago bought THC gummies with my credit card?
A quick search found the links below. I haven't been anywhere to try it myself.

Can You Use a Credit Card at a Dispensary?
The 2023 Guide to Cannabis Payment Processing Solutions
Mastercard Moves to Stop use of Debit Cards at Cannabis Shops
Mastercard Weed Ban Not Surprising; Visa Could Be Next, Says Lawyer

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-29-2024, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Thread has gone off topic and off the rails
Welcome to TOTV
Old 01-29-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
It was destined to from the start, I assumed that was the original intention.
No, it wasn't intended to do that. It's both disappointing and astonishing that people of mature ages can't accurately comprehend a basic analogy and understand the purpose of it. If too many older folks can't do that - imagine how lost younger generations will be as they witness bad examples of those ahead of them. Smh...

The topic is and remains CBDCs. They aren't a theory and TPTB are quite serious. They've been in various stages of development around the world. See here: Central Bank Digital Currency Tracker - Atlantic Council
Old 01-29-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
If all conversations get back to covid, which was a one time pandemic event which hasn't happened in 100 years, and will fade into medical background noise like the flue which has a lot of origins in the prior pandemic, to be analogous to any discussion on any other government policy on technology, the conversation is not linear, but off the rails.
I disagree that there weren't many, many things that occurred in that period that were very serious over-reaches by those "in authority". People that ignore that kind of tyrannical conduct will get kicked in the head again when they exert more of the same. Which they will (partly because people make it so easy for them).

THAT is the point of discussing CBDCs. It is, perhaps, the biggest over-reach possible by national Govts and those that naively sit by and believe their Govt loves them, only have their best interest in mind and willingly submit to whatever they dictate are sheep to slaughter. History is replete with endless examples of that.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Gee - do you think that maybe, just maybe, the “elites” would like to reduce the more than 12,000 folks killed each year in auto accidents due to speeding? Or perhaps reduce the number of folks injured each year in auto crashes?

But, then again, we certainly don’t want the “elites” telling us what to do.
Gee, do you really want that much government overreach??
What if it’s an emergency you’re trying to get somebody to the hospital? What if you’re trying to run from somebody That’s having road rage? Once you give the government that kind of control you’re gonna give them the control to just shut your car down completely. Have you thought about that?
Old 01-29-2024, 09:15 PM

Vote with your feet. If you don't like the nanny states like California, leave. Go to places like Florida where persons still have the right to liberty. But hurry up, looking at some of the responses on this posting, some of the nanny state folks have laded here in Florida.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
Vote with your feet. If you don't like the nanny states like California, leave. Go to places like Florida where persons still have the right to liberty. But hurry up, looking at some of the responses on this posting, some of the nanny state folks have laded here in Florida.
Yep, and I just don't understand the mental process. If you are leaving CA, NY, NJ, IL or other high-tax, over-regulated jurisdictions, why would you move somewhere with more freedom and then vote your way back to what made you leave your previous hellhole?
Closed Thread

Tags
limit, speed, tells, tesla, told

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.