Change Medicare plans and or ask for better rates?

Closed Thread
Old 11-20-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

All these companies are offering whatever they can to sign you up, which is great for the public. But before you sign up with anyone of them do your homework and consider your heath before you choose. Make sure the fine print covers your situation or you believe what your situation will be in the near future. Both my wife and I were covered under United Heathcare, but we had different plans due to her medical condition. Just be careful before you sign on the dotted line.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

[QUOTE=shut the front door;2275897]I went back to XM about 18 months ago because I felt like all of the local stations were playing pre-recorded shows day after day. For instance, 105.9 I would hear the same songs every day at the same time.
Now, I'm getting the same from XM. Same songs, over and over. I'm sorry, if you have a whole decade to pick from, I shouldn't have to hear the same songs every day at the same time.[/QUOTEI buy it mostly for the sports channels so the music is secondary , and in my home I use pandora where I have created a lot of stations and keep adding or subtracting others and you can also mix ,so you never get bored .I never watch TV in the daytime EVER except for football so especially in the mornings its Pandora and newspapers.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I have always been on plan G, originally with Mutual of Omaha.... then someone told me Aetna was cheaper so I called... it was cheaper. So I called Mutual of Omaha and told them Aetna had the same plan for less and asked if they would match it. They wouldn't, so now I have Aetna.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:23 AM

I always call XM Radio and get the $5 a month plan that ends up being like $75 a year with the taxes and fees. It is a great deal for me because my car uses XM Radio maps for directions and that is included.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:46 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I have not yet done my homework to see if it would be worth giving up our Plan F for Plan G.

I know people who have Plan. G and are happy with it, but they did not have Plan F available to them.

I need to find out the of the percentage of the premium that can be saved by giving up Plan F. I am hesitant to change for a couple of reasons…..

Reason 1: I am way too good at procrastinating ………..

Well……….I guess that’s pretty much it ……..

And now, here I am, this morning, on TOTV, procrastinating, while transparently trying to glom onto someone else’s research by asking what the percentage of premium savings was that they found when comparing G and F. Anybody?? Please.

Boomer

PS: Btw, even if you have a Plan F and are so used to never getting a bill, pay very close attention to your statements.

Somebody took an ambulance ride on my dime in a city that I have not been in for years. I finally got it straightened out. Took forever because, first, Medicare said to go figure it out myself??? United Healthcare was not overly helpful at first either. I asked them to at least flag it, and then I went back to my own detective work.

Then the hospital that screwed up had outsourced their claims to a winding road of trying to find who knew what to do. Finally got it done after hours of hanging on the phone and taking copious notes.

I never thought this was actually Medicare fraud. I think what happened was due to the fact that both my first and last names are extremely common, and so……..

The ambulance rolled in, somebody on a desk got a name, scrolled, and Voila! I guess I was in the database. (Yes. I know they are supposed to ask for more than the name, but people do not always do their jobs.)

Anyway, there was never another charge. Just that ambulance ride. I will never know what actually happened. But I do pay close attention to statements. It is easier than changing my very common name — even though there are about 76 million other Boomers.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-20-2023 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:19 AM
Default 82% of denials are reversed on appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Supplement plans do not cover drugs. I have a plan g supplement plan. They probably gave you one of the new plan g policies that are a high deductible so it might sound up front you are getting a deal until you use it, then it isn’t. Similar to comparing an advantage plan to a normal deductible plan g. Up front, the advantage plan looks great, $0 cost, drugs, eyes, on and on. But what they don’t tell you is that 99% of the time a dr recommends a medical service like an mri/catscan, or hundreds of other procedures, the advantage plan denies the service. This is a fact. This is so bad that congress is getting involved to create new laws that will eliminate or at least curtail these denial moved from advantage plans. Medicare does not require any pre-authorization of any dr work so if you use Medicare with any supplement, you will never be denied of medical work.
This just happened to me, I called my drug supplement people and they told me if I would go with the advantage plan, I would save money each year over what I paid last year with my plan g. They are correct because I went on a multiple fact finding mission to see if this was true. I found that 11 million people were denied medical service from advantage plans, that’s 1 way to save money, deny the work and both parties save. Also, most of these 11 million people did not fight the denial so they either didn’t do the service or they paid for it out of pocket.
Before going with any advantage plan, do your homework about this, or wait until Congress fixes this, but while you are waiting go with a plan g supplement
The volume of prior authorization determinations varied across Medicare Advantage insurers, ranging from 0.3 requests per Kaiser Permanente enrollee to 2.9 requests per Anthem enrollee.
Over 2 million prior authorization requests were fully or partially denied by Medicare Advantage insurers.
Just 11 percent of prior authorization denials were appealed.
The vast majority (82%) of appeals resulted in fully or partially overturning the initial prior authorization denial.
just curious why the 82 % reversal rate on denials was not included in the fact finding mission ?
The report I found that of the 2 million claims denied , could be more than one denial per person , does not come close to 11 million people getting a denial . There are approximately 35 million people currently on Medicare advantage plans . In order for your fact finding mission to be accurate, 1/3rd of all claims would have to be denied which is not the case .
Old 11-20-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage

What is important is the absolute dollar amount difference between the Plan F and Plan G premiums. For 2024, as long as the premium difference is greater than $20 per month, Plan G is lower cost. The Part B annual deductible, the only difference between Plan F and Plan G, is $240 for 2024. Your age, sex, smoking history, location, and the actual insurance provider will dictate the actual premiums but I believe you will find that $30-45, or so, difference in the premiums per month is typical. Also, Plan G may have a lower percentage premium increase than Plan F in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have not yet done my homework to see if it would be worth giving up our Plan F for Plan G.

I know people who have Plan. G and are happy with it, but they did not have Plan F available to them.

I need to find out the of the percentage of the premium that can be saved by giving up Plan F. I am hesitant to change for a couple of reasons…..

Reason 1: I am way too good at procrastinating ………..

Well……….I guess that’s pretty much it ……..

And now, here I am, this morning, on TOTV, procrastinating, while transparently trying to glom onto someone else’s research by asking what the percentage of premium savings was that they found when comparing G and F. Anybody?? Please.

Boomer

PS: Btw, even if you have a Plan F and are so used to never getting a bill, pay very close attention to your statements.

Somebody took an ambulance ride on my dime in a city that I have not been in for years. I finally got it straightened out. Took forever because, first, Medicare said to go figure it out myself??? United Healthcare was not overly helpful at first either. I asked them to at least flag it, and then I went back to my own detective work.

Then the hospital that screwed up had outsourced their claims to a winding road of trying to find who knew what to do. Finally got it done after hours of hanging on the phone and taking copious notes.

I never thought this was actually Medicare fraud. I think what happened was due to the fact that both my first and last names are extremely common, and so……..

The ambulance rolled in, somebody on a desk got a name, scrolled, and Voila! I guess I was in the database. (Yes. I know they are supposed to ask for more than the name, but people do not always do their jobs.)

Anyway, there was never another charge. Just that ambulance ride. I will never know what actually happened. But I do pay close attention to statements. It is easier than changing my very common name — even though there are about 76 million other Boomers.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
The volume of prior authorization determinations varied across Medicare Advantage insurers, ranging from 0.3 requests per Kaiser Permanente enrollee to 2.9 requests per Anthem enrollee.
Over 2 million prior authorization requests were fully or partially denied by Medicare Advantage insurers.
Just 11 percent of prior authorization denials were appealed.
The vast majority (82%) of appeals resulted in fully or partially overturning the initial prior authorization denial.
just curious why the 82 % reversal rate on denials was not included in the fact finding mission ?
The report I found that of the 2 million claims denied , could be more than one denial per person , does not come close to 11 million people getting a denial . There are approximately 35 million people currently on Medicare advantage plans . In order for your fact finding mission to be accurate, 1/3rd of all claims would have to be denied which is not the case .

Out of curiosity, what does the patient with a medical issue do while all those appeals are being filed... twiddle their thumbs? No thank you!

We know some Medicare Advantage patients who have had what we consider less than ideal treatment for issues, including time in receiving treatment and providers. It's not what we expect when receiving medical care but finances put them in the Advantage situation.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I did not look at the Plan N as G really worked well paying everything when I had open heart surgery 3 1/2 years ago. Again, I tend to stay with what I have as long as costs and coverages are working OK for me. I am happy to have basically the same coverage using the firms I am familiar with while spending less.
I’m like you, I prefer to select a provider and stay with what I have for insurance, be it health, auto, or homeowners. Unfortunately, insurers don’t seem to reward loyalty and often jack up renewal premiums, making it necessary to go through the annual (semiannual for auto) competitive price shopping exercise.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:36 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
What is important is the absolute dollar amount difference between the Plan F and Plan G premiums. For 2024, as long as the premium difference is greater than $20 per month, Plan G is lower cost. The Part B annual deductible, the only difference between Plan F and Plan G, is $240 for 2024. Your age, sex, smoking history, location, and the actual insurance provider will dictate the actual premiums but I believe you will find that $30-45, or so, difference in the premiums per month is typical. Also, Plan G may have a lower percentage premium increase than Plan F in the future.

Thank you, biker1,

We both have been on Plan F since we started on Medicare so our increases in premium are multiplied by 2.

I cringe when I add up our annual costs, and when adding in our now, ever increasing LTC premiums, it’s some serious sticker shock.

I am aware that our Plan F has seemed to grease the skids in a couple of situations because it does not work like an HMO like the Plan C does. I realize G gives that freedom, too, so every year, I think about changing, but thinking is as far as I ever get.

I retired before our contract had HSAs — which those who retired after me are very happy to have to use to pay their premiums, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-20-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:52 PM
Sage

A couple years ago I went through the exercise of changing from Plan F to Plan G. For that year Plan G would save the two of us around $400, so I decided to change. Unfortunately, one of my husband's doctors apparently didn't understand Plan G. and couldn't wait for Medicare to do its bookkeeping on deductibles. His office insisted my husband pay cash at the first visit. It was many months before we got reimbursed from that doctor after leaving him. By then I regretted having changed. The next year Plan G has worked as it should.

As far as Medicare D drug plans are concerned, the tool that Medicare.gov offers is very helpful. Drug plans are composed of two parts, monthly premium and actual drug costs at the pharmacy. You input into their program the medication and dosage for all your prescriptions and it does the calculation for you on the estimated total cost of each program you wish to compare.

Our Humana WalMart premium has increased markedly each year, so I decided to investigate a change. However, after putting in the data for one of us, found out it was still overall the cheapest, even though the premium per month is $46.00 for Humana WalMart vs. SilverScript $13.30. The difference in the estimated total drug cost for next year for 2024 for one of us including premium: at Humana WalMart, is $783.60, vs. SilverScript at $945.78.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I hate to hassle with salespeople and usually just stick with what I have. However, I do call XM radio every year to ask for a better price before they automatically enroll me for another year at a much higher price. This year, I rejected one and then listened to another person on the phone who advised me to apply for a better Medicare part D policy rate.

I was paying $78 per month for a premium part D drug plan. Per advice from the phone caller I called the firm that I use for the part D coverage to request a lesser plan as the two drugs that I take are covered under a lesser plan where I will pay $0 dollars per month. I should have adjusted/questioned my policy years ago.

As that sounded good, I decided to call my Medicare supplement firm to ask them for a better rate. I now have a new policy with G coverage, identical coverage using the same firm that I have had for 7 years. My new monthly rates will be reduced from $395 per month to paying $244 per month.

So, I will be saving $229 per month with the same coverages after spending a few hours on the phone. In the future as with XM radio rate increases, I may be proactive and ask for better rates rather than just excepting rate increases as inevitable.
Did you have Plan F prior to getting G? If so, you didn’t get a better rate. Plan G has an annual deductible of $240 for 2024. Plan F has no deductible.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
Supplement plans do not cover drugs. I have a plan g supplement plan. They probably gave you one of the new plan g policies that are a high deductible so it might sound up front you are getting a deal until you use it, then it isn’t. Similar to comparing an advantage plan to a normal deductible plan g. Up front, the advantage plan looks great, $0 cost, drugs, eyes, on and on. But what they don’t tell you is that 99% of the time a dr recommends a medical service like an mri/catscan, or hundreds of other procedures, the advantage plan denies the service. This is a fact. This is so bad that congress is getting involved to create new laws that will eliminate or at least curtail these denial moved from advantage plans. Medicare does not require any pre-authorization of any dr work so if you use Medicare with any supplement, you will never be denied of medical work.
This just happened to me, I called my drug supplement people and they told me if I would go with the advantage plan, I would save money each year over what I paid last year with my plan g. They are correct because I went on a multiple fact finding mission to see if this was true. I found that 11 million people were denied medical service from advantage plans, that’s 1 way to save money, deny the work and both parties save. Also, most of these 11 million people did not fight the denial so they either didn’t do the service or they paid for it out of pocket.
Before going with any advantage plan, do your homework about this, or wait until Congress fixes this, but while you are waiting go with a plan g supplement
Beginning in Jan 2024, Medicare Advantage plans cannot reject coverage for procedures that are covered by Traditional Medicare.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:30 PM
Sage

Read post #22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
Did you have Plan F prior to getting G? If so, you didn’t get a better rate. Plan G has an annual deductible of $240 for 2024. Plan F has no deductible.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:43 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
My prior plan ($395 per month)was also a Plan G so identical plans and coverage yet a large reduction in monthly costs (now $244) while staying with the same firm, Mutual of Omaha. In the future, I may keep asking for rate reductions instead of just accepting cost increases.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 11-20-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
month, rate, firm, coverage, medicare

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.