Change your Debit/ATM PIN after travels

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Default Change your Debit/ATM PIN after travels

We were in Cancun in February, and used ATM's several times for pesos. I always tried to use ATM's in very visible/secure areas such as banks, hotel lobbies, etc .... but my account just got dinged for $500 on each of Wed, Thur, Fri and Sat. My bank's fraud operation called me Saturday night and asked if we were travelling in Mexico.

It is being corrected, the card cancelled and new card being issued. But took a trip to the local office to file a fraud report and will take about 10 days to get a new debit card. So I asked, can I set up an alert with your bank for large withdrawals so I get an e-mail if one happens. (I have that with my credit cards)... They said "no". They depend on their fraud operation to catch and then call your phone number. Now if you are travelling away from your phone number (like overseas, for example) the phone call is a weak sort of notice. I'd rather use an email for such a notice.

I did check Citizens as well and they like my local Indiana bank only have the catch and call routine available.

So I'm going to try and remember to call and change my PIN number of travelling to locations where I've had to use suspiciously located ATM's. It is easy to do and would have saved me some hassle had I thought to do it after Cancun trip.

Citizens said they would have caught it after the first withdrawal because I'd not notified them of travel to Mexico. My local bank just blew it I think.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
... So I asked, can I set up an alert with your bank for large withdrawals so I get an e-mail if one happens. (I have that with my credit cards)... ...
Don't use debit cards.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

Also, keep only small amounts in your checking account. If it's not on deposit, they cannot withdraw it.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Gold member

I leave my debit cards home when traveling to Cancun each year. I only bring the credit card I need to pay my expenses and I bring enough cash to get me home if necessary.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

I avoid this by NOT going to Mexico. They probably are in on the skimming knowing nothing can be done about it. Call it huffy tip for visiting 3rd world Corrupt country.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Platinum member

Don't go to Mexico. They kill people, rob people, etc.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Don't use debit cards.

Paid everything up front for an "All Inclusive Resort" didn't spend any money in Cancun.

Going again in December with the same group of 12 pickleball friends. Brought painters masking blue tape and turned a tennis court into a pickleball ball court with one added line 7' from the net for the NVS (aka kitchen).

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010277.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	894.5 KB
ID:	53977  
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 08-08-2015, 03:37 AM
Sage

Chase immediately sends me an email if a withdrawal is more than $100. not for bill payments or orders, just withdrawals.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
call, bank, travelling, card, local, number, fraud, atms, phone, mexico, operation, asked, citizens, notice, catch, change, trip, pin, banks, cancun, indiana, travels, february, routine, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.