Charging the Golf Cart

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Default Charging the Golf Cart

I was shocked to read a "Letter to the Editor" in the Daily Sun about the danger of charging an electric cart in a closed garage ., because of the Carbon Monoxide level becoming dangerously high. This is really scary to me but the book that came with my cart (Tomberlin) says it should be charged even after very short trips. I have been automatically doing this for a year. What do you all think? Is every cart different ? I always have the garage door closed unless I'm working in there.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage
Default Re: Charging the Golf Cart

CV,

I didn't see the letter, but, assume (and, yes, that can be dangerous) that there was some discussion of a Carbon Monoxide detector alarm going off. Never heard of this myself....just did some google'ing and found several references that indicated that hydrogen is given off (at non dangerous levels) and this can trigger a CO detector...a false alarm, so to speak.

Here's a quote from one of the postings:

The batteries in those systems are not emitting carbon monoxide when charging. The sensors in the alarms used in the complex and by the fire department are cross sensitive to hydrogen. It should be an eye opener that the fire department does not recognize nor know about the types of sensors in these Co alarms and test instruments they use. CO comes from combustion. The inexpensive alarms are cross sensitive to other gases and are not hydrogen compensated.
Bob Dwyer, Director of Training
COSA (Carbon Monoxide Safety Association)

Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 PM

I just read the letter last nite and will try to find it. In the letter the people had the carbon monoxide detector very low on the wall and evidently could read the amount of CO. It was so high they called the gas co. and after a search found a reading of 400 next to the golf cart. My Detector is up near the ceiling and I can't relate to that part of it but my concern is charging the battery. With gas powered
ac and

hot water.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Dear Vo7, Guess I ran out of room on my reply. Thanks for the Info . I've never had gas appliances before and am easily intimidated!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:18 PM

When you charge the battery, hydrogen is produced. This can build up (in an enclosed area ) over a period of time and can be ignited by a spark. Therefore, you should raise the seat that covers the batteries when charging.

You can not create enough hydrogen in the garage to cause any problems.

JM
(CM) Boston, Ma.
(JM)(CM)Boca Raton, FL.
(CM/JM)TV-Largo(CM/JM)
Old 06-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Sage

As a new golf cart owner, thanks for the tips. :bigthumbsup:
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Thank you all so much. I feel incredibly better. While I'm here, please give some input on the frequency one should be charged and why does my Tomberlin instructions say constantly, after each small drive? Even the dealer I bo't from didn't agree with that. (Countryside Golf Carts in Webster)
Old 06-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Gold member

The fellow who services our cart says unequivocally that the charger should be unplugged from the cart when the charger shows that the battery is fully charged. He even goes so far as to say that when we're away for an extended period of time, we should unplug the charger itself from the wall. This is one serviceman's opinion; I have no reason to do otherwise, but I would like to hear other views on this. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Veteran member

Would it make sense to put the charger on a timer?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Thank you all and I would think a timer never hurts!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:50 PM

But, then, one could never know how long to set the timer for because the time to reach a full charge would vary, depending on the amount it was depleted in the first place. I've just received this info and I'm trying to sound like an expert!!!!!Help, experienced ones!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Lanier
The fellow who services our cart says unequivocally that the charger should be unplugged from the cart when the charger shows that the battery is fully charged. He even goes so far as to say that when we're away for an extended period of time, we should unplug the charger itself from the wall. This is one serviceman's opinion; I have no reason to do otherwise, but I would like to hear other views on this. Thanks!
I agree with the serviceman. When it's fully charged unplug and when you go away for extended periods unplug everything sensitive to power surges due to storms. People with concerns about the welfare or their cart should hire a "home checker" to stop by and get it ready for your return.
Handie :joke:
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM
Veteran member

The better (most) automatic chargers reduce the charging rate as the batteries reach full charge and turn themselves down to an occasional trickle charge when the batteries are fully charged.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 06-11-2008, 02:34 AM
Eternal Member

I was told by Club Car and Spano's to leave the battery charger plugged in. The battery charger will occasionally check the batteries and if necessary do a charge. If all is okay, it just sits there. When you unplug the charger, the batteries could discharge to a degree.

If a storm hits, you might want to unplug the charger from the wall just in case.

When I get home from anything, I plug the charger into the cart and leave it.

Never had a problem in 7 years

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a Club Car always charge cart every night if it had any use during the day, the on board computer senses the amount of charge needed and adjusts the length of the charge accordingly. When we are gone for the summer we unplug the cart and the neighbor goes in once a month and plugs the cart in and then unplugs again when charger shut off.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.