China considering banning

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2020, 10:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts
Default China considering banning

Eating dogs and cats! Welcome to 15th century!

Shenzhen could be first city in China to ban eating of dogs and cats. Goggle if you want to read the article.

Now if they get to rats, bats, and bird nests. Nothing sounds better than bird nest soup! Yum!
Old 04-10-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,182 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Eating dogs and cats! Welcome to 15th century!

Shenzhen could be first city in China to ban eating of dogs and cats. Goggle if you want to read the article.

Now if they get to rats, bats, and bird nests. Nothing sounds better than bird nest soup! Yum!
This made me wonder. Is it illegal to eat dog and/or cat in the USA? Welcome to the 21st century. It turns out it was purrfectly legal to chow down on your fur baby in much of Americur until Dec 2018 when the Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act was signed.

It might just have a little giant loophole:
Scope.—Subsection (a) shall apply only with respect to conduct—
(1) in interstate commerce or foreign commerce; or
(2) within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States

That would seem maybe to allow private consumption which is outside the purrview of interstate commerce.

So, it still is legal, unless regulated by local legislation, to feast on Fluffy. Maybe China's ahead of the curve, not stuck in the 15th century.

Thanks for helping me learn something today. I did not expect to find that when a friend asks if it is okay to bring their dog to my home for dinner that they might be offering the entrée.

[awaiting incoming from Angie and Geo]

Last edited by blueash; 04-10-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Cats in the Kettle:

Cat's in the kettle - YouTube
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
This made me wonder. Is it illegal to eat dog and/or cat in the USA? Welcome to the 21st century. It turns out it was purrfectly legal to chow down on your fur baby in much of Americur until Dec 2018 when the Dog and Cat Meat Trade Prohibition Act was signed.

It might just have a little giant loophole:
Scope.—Subsection (a) shall apply only with respect to conduct—
(1) in interstate commerce or foreign commerce; or
(2) within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States

That would seem maybe to allow private consumption which is outside the purrview of interstate commerce.

So, it still is legal, unless regulated by local legislation, to feast on Fluffy. Maybe China's ahead of the curve, not stuck in the 15th century.

Thanks for helping me learn something today. I did not expect to find that when a friend asks if it is okay to bring their dog to my home for dinner that they might be offering the entrée.

[awaiting incoming from Angie and Geo]
So, where have you seen dogs and cats gutted and hung up in open market in United States?

I wouldn’t want to be breaking law in China. You might come up missing. Like the billionaire that said something degrading about the superior leader.

I would Imagine this fine country had to enact law from ancestry traditions??? Beside’s I’ve never see dog meat for sale. But I’ve never shopped open markets in ancestral areas of few big cities.

Now if person really hungry which probably 95% here have never experienced ( and I don’t mean hungry cause I missed lunch) probably be surprised what they could eat. It’s just not China that gutting selling in open markets, eating dogs and cats.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Cats in the Kettle:

Cat's in the kettle - YouTube
If only we knew what was in the kettle!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:27 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,651 Times in 1,775 Posts

I guess they can still eat bats, rats and who knows what else in China. It might be wise to shut down their wet markets. I visited one once when I was there. Various cuts of raw mystery meat were hanging from the ceiling in the open air inside a carport-like shelter. Every piece of it was literally covered with flies.

Perhaps there were no laws against eating dog and cat meat in the US because they were not necessary as it was not happening. Then over the past few years Chinese and other resident aliens who were arriving here wanted a 'taste of back home'. I know when groups of Vietnamese first settled here family pets in their neighborhoods did disappear, perhaps to appear on their dinner plates. Squirrels disappeared from parks, too. Disclosure: Two of my physicians are Vietnamese. One of the most prolific inventors I have ever done work for is Vietnamese. I have bought duck liver from a Vietnamese market in the OC to make foie gras. Many wealthy Chinese have bought multimillion dollar properties where I used to live in Orange County, CA and I love Chinese food!

I have enjoyed horse meat, frog legs and escargot (snails) in France, Minke, a small unendangered whale, and seal meat in Norway, grasshoppers covered in chile pepper in Mexico, menudo (tripe soup), chicharrones and rattlesnake meat in New Mexico and mountain oysters at the Testicle Festival near Clinton Montana - and have the T-shirt. I also enjoy Andrew Zimmern's show where he eats just about anything. Yet somehow eating pets such as dogs and cats...no thanks!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-10-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
china, bird, cats, dogs, eating

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.