Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Compost is the Future!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
We have millions of Americans that practice the humanist way of living. You cannot be a devout Christian and practice humanism. The Bible, God’s word and Jesus Christ clearly and firmly tell us this fact. Don’t allow evil to change your mind on this topic if you are a serious Christian.
THIS is another of the links provided in the OP which I think may be in opposition to your views...

"At its core, being a Christian today means exactly the same thing for us as it meant to his first disciples: consciously choosing to be an advocate of Jesus and his teachings. It involves what the medieval theologian Thomas A Kempis called Imitatio Christi, the imitation of Christ. It means to live as Jesus lived and to teach as he taught, to honor truth and show compassion, to stand with the victims of this world against their oppressors, to stand with the weak and the powerless against the abusers and the comfortably powerful, and to maintain one’s integrity no matter the cost. In short being a follower of Jesus meant then and now to be faithful to the spirit of Jesus and his teachings. That is both the meaning and the cost of Christian discipleship.

It is that timeless challenge that continues to captivate and motivate us. It is the challenge accepted by the Peace Corps volunteer, the builder of homes for Habitat for Humanity, the volunteer in the homeless shelters and prisons, the helper in the food kitchens and the driver for Meals on Wheels, those who bring joy and healing to a young child, and the Mother Theresas of the world. There is nothing in that challenge of commitment to the service of humanity that requires us to believe in any particular notion of a divine being or any religious dogma.

Christianity Without Religion - The Christian Humanist: Politics Religion Ethics

I am so often accused of being "preachy" or other words beginning with P because I believe entirely in TRUTH and MORALS. That translates to ethics and tolerance and if that does not satisfy your qualifications, then so be it.....I will take my chances on those qualities.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Language, semantics, words, labels, anything used to hurt is a weapon.

It doesn't take a great linguist to sense the feelings behind words.

We are all wired differently and have different abilities. Some of us understand better with our ears than our eyes. Some are very literal and do not catch nuances and subtle changes in others. Some are entertained by a play on words that aggravates another. Some people are witty and that is lost on other people who are very literal, but they are both smart and logical. It is not so much what we say but how it is heard and received by another.

And some people, no matter how smart they are cannot forgive, or compromise or bend or wait or try to see the views of other people. We have got to try harder not to push buttons. All of us.

I am guilty.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
THIS is another of the links provided in the OP which I think may be in opposition to your views...

"At its core, being a Christian today means exactly the same thing for us as it meant to his first disciples: consciously choosing to be an advocate of Jesus and his teachings. It involves what the medieval theologian Thomas A Kempis called Imitatio Christi, the imitation of Christ. It means to live as Jesus lived and to teach as he taught, to honor truth and show compassion, to stand with the victims of this world against their oppressors, to stand with the weak and the powerless against the abusers and the comfortably powerful, and to maintain one’s integrity no matter the cost. In short being a follower of Jesus meant then and now to be faithful to the spirit of Jesus and his teachings. That is both the meaning and the cost of Christian discipleship.

It is that timeless challenge that continues to captivate and motivate us. It is the challenge accepted by the Peace Corps volunteer, the builder of homes for Habitat for Humanity, the volunteer in the homeless shelters and prisons, the helper in the food kitchens and the driver for Meals on Wheels, those who bring joy and healing to a young child, and the Mother Theresas of the world. There is nothing in that challenge of commitment to the service of humanity that requires us to believe in any particular notion of a divine being or any religious dogma.

Christianity Without Religion - The Christian Humanist: Politics Religion Ethics

I am so often accused of being "preachy" or other words beginning with P because I believe entirely in TRUTH and MORALS. That translates to ethics and tolerance and if that does not satisfy your qualifications, then so be it.....I will take my chances on those qualities.
Sine we differ let’s agree to disagree. I’m a christian so I stand by my beilief.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Snip>...individually we may agree, but we wilt when faced with a group and those who propose hate as a basis keep on winning, because we refuse to speak out what we really feel...<Snip
You are absolutely correct, in that some folks just don't have the courage to take criticism and have a deep need to be 'popular'...instead of standing up for others and what's right.

I personally have no problem going against "the crowd" and/or popular local sentiment...particularly when it's impetus is rooted in hate, fear, intolerance and discrimination.

And I even have the correspondence...to prove it.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Language, semantics, words, labels, anything used to hurt is a weapon.

It doesn't take a great linguist to sense the feelings behind words.

We are all wired differently and have different abilities. Some of us understand better with our ears than our eyes. Some are very literal and do not catch nuances and subtle changes in others. Some are entertained by a play on words that aggravates another. Some people are witty and that is lost on other people who are very literal, but they are both smart and logical. It is not so much what we say but how it is heard and received by another.

And some people, no matter how smart they are cannot forgive, or compromise or bend or wait or try to see the views of other people. We have got to try harder not to push buttons. All of us.

I am guilty.
From MY PERSONAL perspective, I don't completely agree.

My belief in TRUTH and MORALS should not hurt anyone, but I have been accused of being a lot of things just because I stand for them, which always leaves me with a better understanding of those who endorse the opposite.

Abilities, I never discuss as I don't know anyone in here. ALL I have are words people type, assuming that comes from their heart, and reflects their ethics and morals
Old 03-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

John 3:16 NIV - For God so loved the world that he gave - Bible Gateway

One of my favorite passages of The Bible . And my late younger brother used to like to point out that no matter how bad a life someone has led there is always salvation if you believe in Jesus Christ. It would seem to have to be a sincere belief though.

My younger late brother had a lot of problems with alcoholism which sometimes took over his life over everything else-- work, kids, and even life.

I have always had problems with why God allows evil to thrive. Christian humanism can counter that as there are often many more good people than rotten ones. Oskar Schnidler, for instance, rescuing Jews under the noses of the true believers of the Third Reich many of whom considered themselves Christians.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-11-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
John 3:16 NIV - For God so loved the world that he gave - Bible Gateway

One of my favorite passages of The Bible . And my late younger brother used to like to point out that no matter how bad a life someone has led there is always salvation if you believe in Jesus Christ. It would seem to have to be a sincere belief though.

My younger late brother had a lot of problems with alcoholism which sometimes took over his life over everything else-- work, kids, and even life.

I have always had problems with why God allows evil to thrive. Christian humanism can counter that as there are often many more good people than rotten ones. Oskar Schnidler, for instance, rescuing Jews under the noses of the true believers of the Third Reich many of whom considered themselves Christians.
You are correct about many members of the third Reich...they considered they were doing Gods work actually, and that even has modern day parallel.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You are correct about many members of the third Reich...they considered they were doing Gods work actually, and that even has modern day parallel.
Careful.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely correct.

History is rife with groups who have convinced themselves, that they are doing abhorrent/immoral acts...because of a 'higher purpose.'
Old 03-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Careful.
Your threat aside, I was simply referring to a couple public quotes and did not supply a link.

Note to moderator. I have been straight on thread subject, and the post I replied to was the very first move into forbidden territory. I responded and am d, except to ask the motivation and/or reason for this post I am responding to. Unnecessary post and threat.

Last edited by Bucco; 03-12-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Right
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage

Christian humanism, religious humanism, and secular humanism | Center for Inquiry

This is a good discussion of Christian Humanism.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Sage

Machiavelli — Christopher S. Celenza | Harvard University Press

If you really want to challenge stereotypes take a look at this book.

Quote:
Machiavelli’s hometown was the epicenter of the Italian Renaissance in the fifteenth century, a place of unparalleled artistic and intellectual attainments. But Florence was also riven by extraordinary violence. War and public executions were commonplace—Machiavelli himself was imprisoned and brutally tortured at the behest of his own government. These experiences left a deep impression on this keen observer of power politics, whose two masterpieces—The Prince and The Discourses—draw everywhere on the hard-won wisdom gained from navigating a treacherous world. But like many of Machiavelli’s fellow Florentines, he also immersed himself in the Latin language and wisdom of authors from the classical past. And for all of Machiavelli’s indifference to religion, vestiges of Christianity remained in his thought, especially the hope for a redeemer—a prince who would provide the stability so rare in Machiavelli’s worldly experience.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
It works both ways. I was the one who provided the link to the humanist church and commented against labeling. You paint with a wide brush.
Sorry....I missed your link to a humanist church.....can you repost that link or send me to the correct post number ?

I am not that bright and need direction
Closed Thread

Tags
christian, writers, humanist, humanists, point

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.