Climate change speech

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2023, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I am more interested in E-Vehicles than Paleontology.
Until they make AFFORDABLE electric vehicles that can go from here to South of the Border on a single charge, I'll stick with my gas-powered car. Right now I believe Tesla is the only company that makes long-distance e-vehicles and the Model S tops out at just under 400 miles, for $95,000. Also I'd much prefer relying on a gas golf cart, in an area like this where you can lose electricity for an hour if the wind's blowing the wrong way (I have never experienced SO many outages in my life). I can take my golf cart around 200 miles before I need more gas, and that's around 3-4 weeks.

Using 5 gallons of gas every 3-4 weeks is a reasonable use of gasoline, in my opinion. It takes me around that long to need a fill-up in my car, as well, except when I drive to my parents' house every other month. Also reasonable.

A way to REDUCE gas use is to INCREASE car-pooling options for businesses, increasing electric-powered bus service in and out of more populated areas, giving tax breaks for businesses that are located in or near populated areas and provide bicycle racks (such as supermarkets, fast food joints, and so on).

No one should feel shamed for owning a gas fueled vehicle. But we can all contribute to a more ecologically-friendly use of them.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
If the roaches start evolving larger to the size of wolves and then both wolves and humans are toast.
New dinosaur-age cockroaches discovered - Big Think

Cockroaches have been around a long time but the science of them looks to be in a jumble. Just how long have they been around? 300 million years? Longer? Shorter. Cockroach Facts: 10 Facinating Facts about Roaches

It does not look like they were ever that big.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
As you requested ...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	ev.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	96640  
Old 01-27-2023, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
As you requested ...
Manipulative, and unsubstantiated. Here's the actual article: Norwegian Shipping Company Bans Electrified Vehicles Over Fire Fears | Carscoops

It's not that the risk is too great for EVs. But rather - the company is better able to put out fires caused by gasoline, rather than EV, hydrogen, or hybrids. In addition, the ship that sank had both EVs and gas-powered vehicles on board, and the cause of the fire that sank it was not determined to be EVs, specifically.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Manipulative, and unsubstantiated. Here's the actual article: Norwegian Shipping Company Bans Electrified Vehicles Over Fire Fears | Carscoops

It's not that the risk is too great for EVs. But rather - the company is better able to put out fires caused by gasoline, rather than EV, hydrogen, or hybrids. In addition, the ship that sank had both EVs and gas-powered vehicles on board, and the cause of the fire that sank it was not determined to be EVs, specifically.
I have no problem with those who want to buy experimental cars -- I just have a problem with freedom loving people being forced to subsidize those purchases -- and making poorer people poorer.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Until they make AFFORDABLE electric vehicles that can go from here to South of the Border on a single charge, I'll stick with my gas-powered car. Right now I believe Tesla is the only company that makes long-distance e-vehicles and the Model S tops out at just under 400 miles, for $95,000. Also I'd much prefer relying on a gas golf cart, in an area like this where you can lose electricity for an hour if the wind's blowing the wrong way (I have never experienced SO many outages in my life). I can take my golf cart around 200 miles before I need more gas, and that's around 3-4 weeks.

Using 5 gallons of gas every 3-4 weeks is a reasonable use of gasoline, in my opinion. It takes me around that long to need a fill-up in my car, as well, except when I drive to my parents' house every other month. Also reasonable.

A way to REDUCE gas use is to INCREASE car-pooling options for businesses, increasing electric-powered bus service in and out of more populated areas, giving tax breaks for businesses that are located in or near populated areas and provide bicycle racks (such as supermarkets, fast food joints, and so on).

No one should feel shamed for owning a gas fueled vehicle. But we can all contribute to a more ecologically-friendly use of them.
Here are 2 things that MOST people don't know about Electrical motors in general - they turn in a circular motion - unlike gas motors that have pistons that FLAIL up and down BEFORE they can get energy turned into circular motion by an inefficient thing called a flywheel and a fluid or disc clutch
........Most vehicle gas motors use up and down pistons (VW and Porshe used to use horizontal pistons), which make their center of gravity higher than electrical motors which have a lower center of gravity and their batteries are lower and also help keep the center of gravity low. A low center of Gravity is desirable for EVERYTHING that a vehicle (car, truck, or golf cart) does - makes for better accelerating and decelerating (also helped by braking force by the motor acting as a generator) (Prius does that also). Low center allows a vehicle to corner better.
........Low center of gravity is especially important to Golf Carts.........because we ALL know how many of them roll over.......and imagine how many more roll over in hilly northern states. Farm tractors have a high center of gravity and we know how much they roll over. Riding lawnmowers would have a lower center of gravity if Electric. The E-Advantages are numerous and massive.
...........The bottom line is that E-vehicles have so MANY engineering advantages and they will come down in price with more PRODUCTION. The bottom line is that in 5 to 10 years there will NO LONGER be debate and you and I and everyone in the 1st world countries will be OWNING E-vehicles. Gas ICE will slowly phase out.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Here are 2 things that MOST people don't know about Electrical motors in general - they turn in a circular motion - unlike gas motors that have pistons that FLAIL up and down BEFORE they can get energy turned into circular motion by an inefficient thing called a flywheel and a fluid or disc clutch
........Most vehicle gas motors use up and down pistons (VW and Porshe used to use horizontal pistons), which make their center of gravity higher than electrical motors which have a lower center of gravity and their batteries are lower and also help keep the center of gravity low. A low center of Gravity is desirable for EVERYTHING that a vehicle (car, truck, or golf cart) does - makes for better accelerating and decelerating (also helped by braking force by the motor acting as a generator) (Prius does that also). Low center allows a vehicle to corner better.
........Low center of gravity is especially important to Golf Carts.........because we ALL know how many of them roll over.......and imagine how many more roll over in hilly northern states. Farm tractors have a high center of gravity and we know how much they roll over. Riding lawnmowers would have a lower center of gravity if Electric. The E-Advantages are numerous and massive.
...........The bottom line is that E-vehicles have so MANY engineering advantages and they will come down in price with more PRODUCTION. The bottom line is that in 5 to 10 years there will NO LONGER be debate and you and I and everyone in the 1st world countries will be OWNING E-vehicles. Gas ICE will slowly phase out.
The EV shadow -- ... Here's What It Takes To Recycle 1 EV Battery - YouTube
Old 01-27-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
New dinosaur-age cockroaches discovered - Big Think

Cockroaches have been around a long time but the science of them looks to be in a jumble. Just how long have they been around? 300 million years? Longer? Shorter. Cockroach Facts: 10 Facinating Facts about Roaches

It does not look like they were ever that big.
That reminds me that dolphins also seem to have sprung up suddenly in prehistoric time scales. Now I remember that back from college so, no one jump to hissy fits if that has changed .....I am just throwing it out for anyone that is interested in researching it. That is my disclaimer and I am sticking to it.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
As you requested ...
A big "F" deal because obviously battery technology is going to improve. Remember that some US cities banned automobiles because they backfired and scared horses. Life is a SERIES of progressive steps. What am I .......teaching grade schoolers?
Old 01-27-2023, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have no problem with those who want to buy experimental cars -- I just have a problem with freedom loving people being forced to subsidize those purchases -- and making poorer people poorer.
An E-bike would make poor people richer because they could commute further and thus have a greater AREA to hunt for a better job ........as opposed to being confined to walking or a standard bike.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
But if you were familiar with the latter, you wouldn't want the former.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
An E-bike would make poor people richer because they could commute further and thus have a greater AREA to hunt for a better job ........as opposed to being confined to walking or a standard bike.
This is all a diversion from the single most important question ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6rAWcjTyw
Old 01-27-2023, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
How is it that the US has more forestland than "ever" after the whole West burned down for the last 2 years? Maybe we have a lot of forestlands, but only the seeds left over from the fire are starting to grow. And last I heard plant seeds do NOT remove much CO2 from the atmosphere.
Many trees REQUIRE fire to reproduce, thus replenishing and improving the forests...

How Trees Survive and Thrive After A Fire - National Forest Foundation

-Tom Petty
Old 01-27-2023, 10:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
That reminds me that dolphins also seem to have sprung up suddenly in prehistoric time scales. Now I remember that back from college so, no one jump to hissy fits if that has changed .....I am just throwing it out for anyone that is interested in researching it. That is my disclaimer and I am sticking to it.
Evolution of Dolphins - microbewiki

Their knowledge base changes with new discoveries and the like.

Same with Global Warming except it is moving to the future with changes in the environment which need hypotheses and sound reasoning based on those facts. And the introduction over the past however years with computer data about the weather.
Closed Thread

Tags
climate, change, january, debates, society

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.