Comcast phone service in Illinois

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Sage
Default Comcast phone service in Illinois

I know this is not related at all to life in TV, but today I just made an appointment to have Comcast digital phone service activated at my house on Aug. 9. I already have Comcast for cable television and internet service here in Illinois. I know Comcast customer service and billing usually takes a beating on TOTV, but just wanted to know what people think about Comcast phone service -- specifically reliability both from those who have it in TV and also outside of TV.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Sage

I have Comcast phone service and have only one complaint....if the cable is down, phone service could be down, also. Has only happened twice in as long as we've had the service and each time it was quickly fixed. One of the times happened when a lightning strike hit a utility box near our friends' house on our street. The boom was unbelievable. Of course it was a Century Link box and those customers were really out of luck. Took almost a week for some to get phone service back up and running....lots and lots of underground wire had to be replaced.

Other than that, had no real issues with the service.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I know this is not related at all to life in TV, but today I just made an appointment to have Comcast digital phone service activated at my house on Aug. 9. I already have Comcast for cable television and internet service here in Illinois. I know Comcast customer service and billing usually takes a beating on TOTV, but just wanted to know what people think about Comcast phone service -- specifically reliability both from those who have it in TV and also outside of TV.
We have had no problems with their phone service in Illinois. We also have their cable and internet and like when we are away we can check our voice mails right on the computer.

George
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Sage
Default Thanks Pooh and FMF Doc

Thanks Pooh and FMF Doc for posting feedback. The one person I know of who has Comcast phone service near me here in suburban Chicago had no complaints about their phone service, but always good to get other opinions. Fortunately in the 9 years I've had Comcast for television and internet I've only had a few cable outages, so I'm not too worried about losing phone service. I also have a cell phone for backup. Both of my sisters have ditched their landline phones and only have cell phones at home, but I still like having a landline phone (or is Comcast phone considered a landline phone?).

If I'm calculating correctly, I should be saving about $25 per month by dropping AT&T for my home phone and going with the Comcast phone-cable-internet bundle. We will see what happens once Aug. 9 rolls around after the Comcast tech. hooks up my phones at home.

And Pooh, Happy Birthday! 21 and holding .
Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Thanks Pooh and FMF Doc for posting feedback. The one person I know of who has Comcast phone service near me here in suburban Chicago had no complaints about their phone service, but always good to get other opinions. Fortunately in the 9 years I've had Comcast for television and internet I've only had a few cable outages, so I'm not too worried about losing phone service. I also have a cell phone for backup. Both of my sisters have ditched their landline phones and only have cell phones at home, but I still like having a landline phone (or is Comcast phone considered a landline phone?).

If I'm calculating correctly, I should be saving about $25 per month by dropping AT&T for my home phone and going with the Comcast phone-cable-internet bundle. We will see what happens once Aug. 9 rolls around after the Comcast tech. hooks up my phones at home.

And Pooh, Happy Birthday! 21 and holding .

Yup, 21 and holding... Thank you for your kind wishes!

Pat
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Default Comcast in Illinois

We also had internet and cable through Comcast and then added the phone service a few years later. We have not had a problem. What is nice is that when your phone rings, and you are watching TV, the name and the phone number show up on the TV screen. However, they told me I would be saving money by adding the home phone service on - can't say we did. My bill runs about $200 a month for all three services.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Yup, 21 and holding... Thank you for your kind wishes!

Pat
Good. When I return to TV in October, you can buy alcohol for me .
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukiChu View Post
We also had internet and cable through Comcast and then added the phone service a few years later. We have not had a problem. What is nice is that when your phone rings, and you are watching TV, the name and the phone number show up on the TV screen. However, they told me I would be saving money by adding the home phone service on - can't say we did. My bill runs about $200 a month for all three services.
SukiChu, Thanks for the info. I am also eligible for Universal Caller ID where the name and phone number of an incoming phone caller shows up on the TV screen and my laptop. The Comcast installer will be at my house on Aug. 9 to install the phone service so we will see what happens.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.