Come On, Cheer up Villagers!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts
Default Come On, Cheer up Villagers!!!

Happiness Among Retirees Is Declining, No Matter If You’re Rich or Poor
Money By Denver Nicks
April 26, 2016 1:42 PM

Fewer are "very satisfied" with retirement.

The golden years, it turns out, aren’t as golden as they used to be, according to data released Tuesday by the Employee Benefit Research Institute reflecting declining life satisfaction among retirees.

Between 1998 and 2012, according to the study—which used data from the University of Michigan’s Health and Retirement study—the number of retirees who said they were “very satisfied’ fell markedly, while those who said they were only “moderately satisfied” or “not at all satisfied” rose. In 1998, for instance, 60.5% of respondents said their retirement was “very satisfying.” By 2012, just 48.6% reported the same.

“The drop in ‘very satisfied’ retirees is not limited to any particular economic group. This is clearly a more general trend,” says study author Sudipto Banerjee. “What’s not yet clear is exactly why this is happening.”

It gets worse. According to the EBRI, these study results contradict those from earlier studies indicating that as people get older they stay as satisfied or become more satisfied. In other words, as awful as it sounds, according to the study the older you get the worse you feel.

Calculate:

The study notes that while higher life satisfaction remains unsurprisingly correlated to better health and higher net worth, the declining happiness trend held true for both men and women all economic groups, including those with pensions and without.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Perhaps a part of the problem is that people are happiest when they are achieving? Working on the golf game is not as rewarding an endeavor as accomplishing business objectives and goals for some people.

Perhaps a part of the reason is that along the way the best laid plans didn't work out the way a person hoped?

Perhaps a part of the problem is that retirement removes that last barrier to the end of days ?

Cést la vie
Old 04-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Health problems arise and get worse as one ages. These rarely make anyone any happier.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.†Thomas Paine
Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM

I love retirement! Yes, I am getting older, my health is not like when I was in my 20s, but I am having a hell of a good time.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Gold member

YUP - Must agree!

I am VERY annoyed with getting up whatever time I want; only playing golf 4 - 5 times a week (sometimes more); going to the squares; going to some shows; eating out at various restaurants; having a new house in a beautiful community; visiting with friends/neighbors etc. etc.

Yes siree, I am ticked off and DON'T try to make me feel good -

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

As strange as it may sound, part of this 'unhappiness' may be from people actually living longer than they thought they would.

DO NOT count me in that group.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

Maybe just maybe with all the things we see on tv, the things we see on social media, most think everyone's life is better than theirs. Also as a society we have grown away from our dependence on God, we don't know what is in store for our future or after we die.

For the record...I am so happy to live in The Villages, while my life is far from perfect... I am so very blessed..hence my name on this forum.

Oh lastly, I know where I am going after I die...to live in heaven with my Heavenly Father! Hope to ya'll there...well most of you
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

"Old Age: A Beginners Guide" by Michael Kinsley has an interesting and somewhat gloomy outlook on this issue of aging

I believe another aspect of this issue is the sadness we feel for those who went before us. wouldn't most of us want just one more meal and conversation with our parents, etc. I certainly would

but we adjust and we adapt and we fill in our time as best we can because there is no other alternative forward always forward.....now if only I could train my golf balls to follow that rule
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Another Beautiful Day in the Villages.

Old Age Brings Happiness: Why Sixty is the New Twenty | Big Think

Google some more.

I sure like my life in the Villages since June 2005 a lot more than my nine years in Palm Harbor (1996-2005) At least, no Public Library General Counsel has threatened to sue me yet like with the Cease and Desist Letter I received copied into Gene Coppola, the Palm Harbor Library Director dated 3-2-2004. I was fighting to get links to the Florida Victim Services Directory in as many public and law libraries as I could which I believe I started in 1999 or 2000. Part of my 224 613 Project to empower survivors/victims of crimes through access to practical information. Victim Services Directory

Gary Corsair-- a former Villages Daily Sun reporter did a short article on my efforts that appeared on Memorial Day of 2007. Google Taltarzac725 for it and other important documents.

It has usually been a beautiful day in the Villages since June 2005. Getting away from a local bully helps a lot as well as having a little more control over my 224 613 Project which I have been interested in as something that needed to be done since February 28, 1976.

This is a hobby something I love to do and maybe if more Villagers would set goals in their hobbies of theirs-- like golf scores, new meals cooked, trails biked, etc.-- they would be more content.

If you are looking for something meaningful to do contact the libraries in your home towns and see what kind of practical materials they have for survivors/victims of crimes like the Florida Victim Services Directory as well as materials like a link to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and its support groups.
https://www.nami.org/

I have been trying to get people to work on this Project --in their own interest-- since 1991. I have not used these numbers 224 613 (which you can see in some of these Taltarzac725 documents) since mid 1993 while living in Rohnert Park. CA. With a few months in late 1994 working from my Aunt Gert's house in Itasca, IL near Chicago.

Retired social workers, police, nurses, doctors, attorneys, etc. may also know much better than me what is really needed for survivors/victims of various to have ready access to for their recovery and mental health. I have been trying to get celebrities-- actors, directors, comedians, musicians, dancers-- involved in this since 1991 but non-celebrities could also be of a great benefit to this Project's continued success. Google Taltarzac725. It should give you some good ideas. 25 years of fighting a good fight as a hobby. You will notice that my work is also international in scope.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-28-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
I love retirement! Yes, I am getting older, my health is not like when I was in my 20s, but I am having a hell of a good time.

Retirement life, the good, the bad and the worst of it, is all what we choose to make of it.

Attitude is the great equalizer.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Sage
Default Come On, Cheer up Villagers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Health problems arise and get worse as one ages. These rarely make anyone any happier.
And the more one dwells on them the less happy one becomes.As BTK noted, attitude makes all the difference.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Money By Denver Nicks
April 26, 2016 1:42 PM

Fewer are "very satisfied" with retirement.

The golden years, it turns out, aren’t as golden as they used to be, according to data released Tuesday by the Employee Benefit Research Institute reflecting declining life satisfaction among retirees.

Between 1998 and 2012, according to the study—which used data from the University of Michigan’s Health and Retirement study—the number of retirees who said they were “very satisfied’ fell markedly, while those who said they were only “moderately satisfied” or “not at all satisfied” rose. In 1998, for instance, 60.5% of respondents said their retirement was “very satisfying.” By 2012, just 48.6% reported the same.

“The drop in ‘very satisfied’ retirees is not limited to any particular economic group. This is clearly a more general trend,” says study author Sudipto Banerjee. “What’s not yet clear is exactly why this is happening.”

It gets worse. According to the EBRI, these study results contradict those from earlier studies indicating that as people get older they stay as satisfied or become more satisfied. In other words, as awful as it sounds, according to the study the older you get the worse you feel.

Calculate:

The study notes that while higher life satisfaction remains unsurprisingly correlated to better health and higher net worth, the declining happiness trend held true for both men and women all economic groups, including those with pensions and without.
I assume this survey was taken across the nation so the result may be accurate, in general. I tend the be the doubter of such sweeping generalization, by some scientific research.

I would like to see if this survey applies, to TV community.

I think if one still has good health and is active, one tends to be happier in retirement. I know there are some people who need to strive and feel vital as they were, while still working.

For me, retirement is a blessing. One has to make peace with what they have accomplished in life and look to their final days, in finding fulfillment in being nice to other people and by enjoying themselves. A goal worth striving for.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Old Age Brings Happiness: Why Sixty is the New Twenty | Big Think

Google some more.

I sure like my life in the Villages since June 2005 a lot more than my nine years in Palm Harbor (1996-2005) At least, no Public Library General Counsel has threatened to sue me yet like with the Cease and Desist Letter I received copied into Gene Coppola, the Palm Harbor Library Director dated 3-2-2004. I was fighting to get links to the Florida Victim Services Directory in as many public and law libraries as I could which I believe I started in 1999 or 2000. Part of my 224 613 Project to empower survivors/victims of crimes through access to practical information. Victim Services Directory

Gary Corsair-- a former Villages Daily Sun reporter did a short article on my efforts that appeared on Memorial Day of 2007. Google Taltarzac725 for it and other important documents.

It has usually been a beautiful day in the Villages since June 2005. Getting away from a local bully helps a lot as well as having a little more control over my 224 613 Project which I have been interested in as something that needed to be done since February 28, 1976.

This is a hobby something I love to do and maybe if more Villagers would set goals in their hobbies of theirs-- like golf scores, new meals cooked, trails biked, etc.-- they would be more content.

If you are looking for something meaningful to do contact the libraries in your home towns and see what kind of practical materials they have for survivors/victims of crimes like the Florida Victim Services Directory as well as materials like a link to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and its support groups.
https://www.nami.org/

I have been trying to get people to work on this Project --in their own interest-- since 1991. I have not used these numbers 224 613 (which you can see in some of these Taltarzac725 documents) since mid 1993 while living in Rohnert Park. CA. With a few months in late 1994 working from my Aunt Gert's house in Itasca, IL near Chicago.

Retired social workers, police, nurses, doctors, attorneys, etc. may also know much better than me what is really needed for survivors/victims of various to have ready access to for their recovery and mental health. I have been trying to get celebrities-- actors, directors, comedians, musicians, dancers-- involved in this since 1991 but non-celebrities could also be of a great benefit to this Project's continued success. Google Taltarzac725. It should give you some good ideas. 25 years of fighting a good fight as a hobby. You will notice that my work is also international in scope.
Well done Tal, such a productive use of time and energy
Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

In thinking this topic through a bit more I suspect that a person's point of view would have been influenced by their pre-retirement lifestyle
Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Sage

Retired Person's Perspective

1. I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

2. I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now.

3. You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably very unhappy.

4. You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone you've just met? That's common sense leaving your body.

5. I don't like making plans for the day. Because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

6. I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes 1,500 days in a row.

7. I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

8. Dear paranoid people who check behind shower curtains for murderers: If you find one, what's your plan?

9. Everyone has a right to be stupid. Politicians just abuse the privilege.

Old age is not as bad as I thought. It's a good feeling when you just don't give a hoot anymore and you feel happy just to wake up in the morning.

::

Tags
retirees, study, declining, satisfied, retirement, happiness, worse, data, health, “very, satisfied’, satisfied”, older, satisfaction, life, higher, matter, you’re, rich, poor, economic, golden, results, clear, happening.”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.