Communities near West N. Carolina for Summer Living

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Default Communities near West N. Carolina for Summer Living

I have not posted much to the TOTV so I hope this is the right place in which to put this thread. If not, please let me know and I will ask for it to be moved.

My wife and I bought in TV in March, 2014. We live in TV for 7 months of the year (Oct thru April) and own a home in central Michigan where we are from and where we live for the summer months. With our thick northern blood (or is it thin?), we find the summers in FL to be oppressive and not something in which we plan to participate for the foreseeable future.

We could stay in Michigan but we are considering selling in Michigan and buying a home in the mountains near western NC. Our number one criteria is that the location must be high enough in elevation so that the summer climate is similar to that of Michigan. We don't care about the climate in the rest of the year since we will be in TV.

We are looking at the Asheville, Boone, and Hendersonville, NC areas but would consider other places such as southern WV, western VA, eastern KT, eastern TN, or even NW GA. It just has to not get as hot as central NC. We are avid motorcyclists and active outdoors so this area is ideal. Our grandchildren are in Cary, NC so it would be nice to be a bit closer to them as well.

We require a single family home (no condos or townhomes), a stick-built home (no "manufactured" homes), home price no greater than ~$300k, and would prefer a 55+ community like TV with some amenities, clubhouses, and possibly golf. We also do not want to be totally out in the "boonies" so somewhere reasonably close to restaurants, shopping, and an airport would be preferred.

Would anyone have recommendations for developments/communities or just cities to consider in these areas? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Default Waynesville NC

We spend a week or two in that area every Summer. Just back from Lake Santeetlah. But it is still hot on the Lakes. We have been to Lake Lure, Douglas lake and several others. I think you have to get in the higher elevations on the Parkway to get the cooler temps. I think somewhere like Waynesville NC is the place.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Waynesville, North Carolina

Last updated July 20, 9:00 AM

Mon 20
84°
65°
Tue 21
85°
63°
Wed 22
76°
62°
Thu 23
73°
62°
Fri 24
81°
59°
Sat 25
79°
61°
Sun 26
79°
Old 07-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Hendersonville and West to Brevard has a summer climate close to NE Ohio. Low to mid 80's daytime low to Mid 60's at night. Asheville is nice but pricier. On the North side of the mountains near Johnstown TN is the least expensive.Hendersonville NC is about 9 hours. Johnsonville Tn is about 11 hours.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:27 PM

The Waynesville, NC temperatures look great. About the same as central Michigan for the same dates.

G'day,

Vinish
Old 07-20-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,176 Times in 442 Posts
Default So many great places in NC

We lived in Morganton, NC, for 27 years.... Most seasons are mild but they do get in 90's in the summer.... If you want the mountains, we loved Linville, Grandfather CC, Boone and Blowing Rock.....btw GREAT golf courses!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
I have not posted much to the TOTV so I hope this is the right place in which to put this thread. If not, please let me know and I will ask for it to be moved.

My wife and I bought in TV in March, 2014. We live in TV for 7 months of the year (Oct thru April) and own a home in central Michigan where we are from and where we live for the summer months. With our thick northern blood (or is it thin?), we find the summers in FL to be oppressive and not something in which we plan to participate for the foreseeable future.

We could stay in Michigan but we are considering selling in Michigan and buying a home in the mountains near western NC. Our number one criteria is that the location must be high enough in elevation so that the summer climate is similar to that of Michigan. We don't care about the climate in the rest of the year since we will be in TV.

We are looking at the Asheville, Boone, and Hendersonville, NC areas but would consider other places such as southern WV, western VA, eastern KT, eastern TN, or even NW GA. It just has to not get as hot as central NC. We are avid motorcyclists and active outdoors so this area is ideal. Our grandchildren are in Cary, NC so it would be nice to be a bit closer to them as well.

We require a single family home (no condos or townhomes), a stick-built home (no "manufactured" homes), home price no greater than ~$300k, and would prefer a 55+ community like TV with some amenities, clubhouses, and possibly golf. We also do not want to be totally out in the "boonies" so somewhere reasonably close to restaurants, shopping, and an airport would be preferred.

Would anyone have recommendations for developments/communities or just cities to consider in these areas? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish

If you haven't already, you may want to try Find Your Best Place to Retire. I found that site to be very useful when researching various locales prior to settling on TV as our retirement destination. It may help you pull a short list together that you can dive into more deeply to make your decision. Good luck!! Lots of gorgeous locations in the region you are targeting.

Top Retirements Web Site
Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 PM

My grandparents were born in the Waynesville/Hazelwood area. My great aunts and uncles are still there. Over the years there has been lots of development and so many trees have been cleared from the mountains. It is no where as cool as it used to be. My aunt often comments on how hot it has gotten now in the summer. But it may be a little cooler than here.

I will say, though, that it is a beautiful place!!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 AM

We made our visit and found many interesting areas in or around Asheville. I would highly recommend to anyone interested in a summer location to look in this area. A few communities to highlight are: Kenmure - a golfing centric community near Hendersonville, the Hendersonville area in general - very nice downtown, avoid Asheville city - property taxes are double and you get nothing for the higher taxes that you don't also have access to by living outside the city, Weaverville - about 10 miles north of Asheville, Fletcher and Arden - two "suburbs" on the south side of Asheville near the airport.

House prices in the area area higher than the Villages which was already substantially higher than what I was used to in central Michigan but others coming from high property value areas would have less sticker shock.

Thanks for the advice provided. We are seriously considering moving from central Michigan to the Asheville area for the summers. We would probably choose to rent for 2-3 months first to make sure we like the area. This is what we did in the Villages and that worked out well Rented in the Villages from Jan-Mar, 2014, decided we liked it by Jan 10, 2014, found a great house by Jan 15, 2014, bought it and moved in on March 1 throwing the last month's rent away (sunk cost, can't get it back so no big deal).

G'day,

Vinish
Old 09-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

You might use one of the weather apps to check the weather for different towns in the area you are interested. I keep a dozen places on my app to look at if the temps get depressing here.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Lived in Arden for 4 years. Great weather but pricey
Old 09-22-2015, 03:41 AM

I have spent the last three summers in Snowshoe, WV. It is 4800 feet high and I think the highest temp I saw all summer was 75. It is a little isolated and does not meet all your criteria .

We are looking at Blowing Rock and Asheville for next summer. Asheville would be my choice if an airport was important.

Quest to play every golf hole in TV is 91 % complete
Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Gold member
Default Blowing Rock

would probably be our choice if we didn't love going back to Columbus in the summer. We just arrived back in TV (we are Florida residents, here about 7 months). This year, we spent 2 nights in Asheville (interesting, but don't think I'd want to live there). Then we stopped in Black Mountain, just east of Asheville, which was cute but a little small. Had lunch and walked around in Blowing Rock next, would like to go back and probably will on the way up or down next time. We also have grandkids in Cary (as well as Columbus).

Talked to a woman who owned a quilt studio (does custom quilts for people) who just bought a condo to live there year-round. She and her husband moved from a retirement community in Lake Worth, FL, decided to move while on vacation and bought a condo. So far, she loves it. Says she's heard that in winter many of the hotels have special events/pricing for locals to keep going and that is a good way to get to know the year-round residents. My husband talked to a guy who owned a dulcimer store and also lives there year-round. Many musical groups to play in during the season (summer) but also cultural stuff going on in Boone (Appalachian State U) which is only about 8-10 miles away.

2 bedroom, 2 bath condos that were walkable to town started in the $170s. To get a condo with a pool area was a little higher, but we didn't look seriously. You likely get great springs and falls, short winters with some snow and summers that can get hot during the day but cool off more evenings and mornings.

Will have to check out Waynesville too.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
You might use one of the weather apps to check the weather for different towns in the area you are interested. I keep a dozen places on my app to look at if the temps get depressing here.
I have been doing that all summer and Asheville and Hendersonville are about the same and also about the same temperature range as here in central Michigan. This confirms my previously uncertain belief that if we are to move south for the summers, it would have to be in the mountains.

G'day,

Vinish
Old 09-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Lived in Arden for 4 years. Great weather but pricey
Of course, "pricey" is in the eye of the spender We found homes inside Asheville city to be pricey. For what we wanted, prices were $350k to $1.5 mil depending on location and other details.

We found Arden to be much lower in cost than Asheville city. The Kenmure community in Hendersonville was nice, as I mentioned previously, with prices ranging from $300K (not many of these) to "sky's the limit". We would be looking at prices above the minimums in Kenmure but still on the "lower end". Certainly more expensive than a designer category home in The Villages but many come with more land, basements, and other features not normally found in homes in The Villages.

G'day,

Vinish
Closed Thread

Tags
home, michigan, summer, year, live, months, western, areas, central, eastern, climate, family, single, closer, require, condos, stick-built, ~$300k, prefer, greater, price, manufactured, homes, townhomes, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.