Considering cutting the cord from Cable TV?

Old 03-16-2024, 08:59 AM
Default Considering cutting the cord from Cable TV?

Watch this YouTube video first. It may not be a good idea. You decide…

https://youtu.be/fq_XeZyp1QY?si=L6E53fLxHksBqGer
Old 03-16-2024, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post

Interesting video. Thanks.

I'm not ready to subscribe to Comcast Cable yet but its worth paying attention to prices.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-16-2024, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

Streaming is getting is getting more competitive with tradional cable TV services. However, you must watch your cost. Just dropping Xfinity and then replacing with YouTube TV for may not save all that much money. When you add Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu, Peacock, etc, are you really saving any money. Google TV has a good interface that combines a lot of difference services into one menu. It progress and something worth looking into.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:01 AM

“Free television stations available in your TV home” in is on this vt forum

Free television stations available in your TV home.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:46 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:

Cutting the cable is a great idea. I did it years ago. I get to watch whatever I want, whenever I want, all with no commercials. It's great. What's not to like? Don't tell me you actually like having to wait for a certain time & date to watch a show you enjoy & then have it interrupted by commercials every few minutes?
Old 03-17-2024, 08:44 AM

We get 100++ channels but really only watch about 20 or so. I wish you could pick your channels al a carte and just pay for what you want.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Somebody still buys cable? Seriously?

You can get the exact same thing from Hulu Plus for half the price, but I'm on the verge of canceling that, too. Primetime live TV these days is nothing but game shows, fake news, and fake reality, and endless reruns. We watch FBI and NCIS when they occasionally make a new one, but it seems kinda dumb to pay $85/month for something you can get off the air for free and watch on your own schedule, if you've got a Tablo and an antenna in your attic.

I would happily pay $200/month again for cable if it was still 1995 and Hollyweird was still making something worth watching. But I challenge anyone to tell the difference between a "Wheel of Fortune" rerun and a new one. Why anyone pay one red cent for such garbage in prime time?
Old 03-17-2024, 01:02 PM
Default Still need some kind of internet service

I look at my Xfinity bill every month and just about every month, I search for an alternative. You still need an internet provider and descent streaming speed and Xfinity is the only one I have been able to find at my TV location - no fiber yet. If I just use Xfinity for internet and then start adding the streaming - Hulu etc. - my cost approaches Xfinity's. It also seems that I have to get several streaming services to get the channels I like to watch.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
.....Google TV has a good interface that combines a lot of difference services into one menu. It progress and something worth looking into.
I like the Comcast interface for the same reason. I find it hard to figure just what my savings would be if I switched to streaming services. I need the sports packages including NFL redzone and the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. I still have the landline too. So unless my bill gets "crazy" I'm going to keep the cord.

Nice Youtube video though. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Guy complains about all the ads. No mention of the excellent DVR and FF button on YouTube TV. Does he expect us all to rush back to cable and all the surcharges that drove us away? How much TV does he think we really want to buy anyway?

Tags
decide…, idea, good, cutting, video

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.