Coronavirus Shutdown: The End of Globalization and Planned Obsolescence

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I get that. We weren't talking about your preference for new vs. used. You changed it over to "only buy American cars." and then your assumption that by buying American, you are somehow doing what someone buying a foreign car is not doing - which is supporting American economy.

It was a flawed presumption on your part. People who buy cars, or anything else, from companies that sell IN the USA - are supporting American economy. Even if the product is made somewhere else.
Yes, I only buy American branded cars from American dealerships. I did not disparage buying foreign cars. I wouldn’t but could not care less what others do. At the end of the day I spend my Benjamins as I wish as does everyone else. Don’t make up s*** that’s not there.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Exactly. I pick the category of "thing" I want to buy, weed out the "not going to suit my needs," and then pick from the most affordable of the bunch. If it's not made in the USA, oh well - the USA will need to do better for less, if they want my money. However, the products I buy - regardless of where they're made, I purchase in stores here in Florida, or from sellers in the USA online.
Oh not me. I hoped over to France to buy my last toaster oven. Seriously?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
The global economy depends on affordability. The reason so many vehicles are made out of the country is because those other countries use cheap labor to make them, and the less affluent Americans who need transportation can afford to buy them.

The USA makes money on import fees and taxes paid by both the exporter and the end-user.

If the USA rejected vehicles made overseas and demanded that USA car manufacturers re-opened their plants in the country - well - you'd have Ford. And I think Lincoln is still around? Olds went out of business. GM is still hanging in there. I think that's it.

The other companies are all foreign-based.

Volkswagen was one of the first TRULY affordable vehicles available for sale to the average and low-income American, when they first came out with the VW Beetle. They are German-based. The Kia Soul is another one, but it's not an American vehicle.

So unless you want to spring to pay the bill for the majority of Americans who need cars but can't afford American-made because minimum wage currently has the buying power of what HALF minimum wage had when it was implemented... we need those overseas manufacturers and imports.
There still throw away cars. And my opinion, no we don’t.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
I've only bought one "new" car. The others were all used. The new one ended up with the transmission on the pavement when I was coming up an entrance ramp to the highway. One class action suit and warranty later, I was driving a different car - and this time it was used again.

I prefer used cars. If I could afford it I'd have a pair of Jags Fully restored 1988 XJ6 vanden plas. I could drive either one while the other was in the shop (such is the way of that model). Or I'd get a fully restored VW Bus, a model from somewhere in the 1970's.
Transmission on payment? You’re kidding. You means you didn’t hear or suspect something before the transmission fell out? Jags. LOL
Old 04-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Transmission on payment? You’re kidding. You means you didn’t hear or suspect something before the transmission fell out? Jags. LOL
No, that's why there was a class action suit against the manufacturer. There was a defect in the bolts that held the transmission together. It was a pretty big deal at the time.

And yes, Jags. I've been in love with Jaguars since I was a little girl. Had one, was heartbroken when it needed a major repair, around the same time it was time for a new exhaust (as all vehicles eventually need), and I just couldn't afford both and had to trade it in for a less expensive car.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,121 Posts
Default Guess you don’t remember

Quote:
Everything made today is throw away, more electronic’s the less likely cost worthy to repair. Vehicles are no different. With VVT, DFI, and maze of wiring switches and computers will be more so. The global economy depends on throw away products, no longer are refrigerate, washer, vehicles, computers are made to last. IMO this needs to be Global wake up. GET OUT OF china.
Walking by all those made in America cars from long ago rusting away at the curb , yeh they don’t make them like that anymore 🤔🤔
Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,146 Posts

Quote:
There still throw away cars. And my opinion, no we don’t.
I don't know what you feel constitutes a throw-away car. Eventually, at some point, ALL cars are ultimately discarded. Even the antique Model Ts that have been lovingly restored, will some day cease to function and need to be scrapped. Or put in a museum, never to be driven again.

My Ford Explorer sport (assembled in the USA with a combination of American and foreign parts) I had for 11 years. My VW bus - foreign-made was around 10 years old when I got it, and it lasted another 5 years after that. My current car I bought "almost new" in 2009, made in Japan (it had less than 300 miles on it, it was what's known as a "lot car") and as long as I don't get into any accidents or neglect to maintain it, it'll last another 10 years, at least.

Current-model cars of any brand, made anywhere? I have less confidence about their lifespan.
Closed Thread

Tags
global, people, globalization, obsolescence, planned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.