Cost to Mail an Election Ballot

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2020, 06:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

This is a slippery sloop our country is on. How quickly life changes.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
This is a slippery sloop our country is on. How quickly life changes.

we're on a sailing ship that has a slippery deck???
Old 08-31-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I see no reason to vote in person....well maybe the tootsie roll at the end could be an incentive. I have no guarantee that my ballot is counted either way, just need to have faith but the mail in ballot does provide an incentive to vote. Primaries had a 25% turnout in the State, maybe an alternative to in person could increase that number. I suspect when the figure out how to do online voting the percentage will also go up but that will take another generation or two for them to make it happen.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-31-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Voting in person costs nothing.
Time is money, as businesspeople tend to say. If the polls end up being especially busy this year, you could see yourself waiting in line outside to get INTO the polling place for a couple of hours.

I doubt that will happen in the Villages, there aren't enough people and there are plenty of polling places.

But in some communities outside the bubble, in other states especially, the polling places have been closed down, eliminated, forcing people who live in one district to vote in a different district. That means they have to GET from point A to point B, which might be many miles away. Some of these people might only be able to get there via public transport, which might not be available in their own community. Or they might have to take a bus to one location, then transfer to a different bus - thus resulting in an entire day spent just to exercise their right to vote.

Again, this is not a thing in the Villages. But just because you don't see it happening here, doesn't mean it's not happening at all. It happens more often than some people might want to believe it happens. But that's what it means to live in a "bubble." It means being oblivious to the world outside your own community. Also known as only seeing as far as the end of your nose.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

So, how they going to know if you mailed in vote and voted in person. Does you requested mail in vote cancel you’re walking vote?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, how they going to know if you mailed in vote and voted in person. Does you requested mail in vote cancel you’re walking vote?
Yes, It shows when they look you up if a mail-in was received.
My wife works the elections and was surprised how many tried to vote twice, then apologized saying "oh I forgot I mailed it in".
This is for Florida.
You can also go online and check if your ballot was recieved.
You can still request a mail-in, but decide later to vote in person or drop the mail-in off at a polling station.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Thanks for the input. Just for public knowledge, did they require a mask, and if so, did they offer one. I am not suggesting they should but would be interested.

Also, a lot of folks suggest that it would be hard to find workers due to COVID. Did that appear to be a problem?

Thanks
I am a poll worker here in Sumter Co, yes we offered masks to anyone who did not have one. We had plenty of workers. You can drop off your mail in ballot at any early voting location in the county.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 09-01-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I work the polls, If you have been issued a mail in ballot we will know it, if you have mailed it in we will know it. If you were issued a mail in and did not use it and you vote at the polls and then try to mail it in, it will not count they will know that you have already voted. You can always check the status of a mailed in ballot by going to the election site on line, it will tell you when your vote was received.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
postage, local, cost, mail, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.