Cost of Tesla ownership, real time experience

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

just don't try to hold onto the car too long, or all that gas savings will be gone when you need a new battery. . .

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Tesla_repair.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	90712  
Old 09-07-2021, 11:00 AM

A 2013 model S
How many miles?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-tv View Post
A 2013 model S
How many miles?
Its not me and its from the Tesla users group, where everyone should go if they want to learn first hand about tesla ownership.

Second, not sure if age or usage determines the life of these types of batteries, however, at $11K, at 20M per gallon and $3.00 per gallon, that's 73,333 miles on an ICE car.

so unless the Tesla went farther than that, you throw the car Tesla away, because it costs you more than the gas savings, over the longer term, with the higher risk of mechanical / electronic issues. . . software updates creating bricks, brake and unintended acceleration issues, etc.

just elite virtue signalling, that's all
Old 09-07-2021, 12:26 PM
Sage

I can’t tell the number of miles. It looks like a 2013 - should still be under the battery warranty (8 years, 150K miles with 70% retention ) ??? Regardless, I doubt this is a typical situation unless the battery has been abused (the equivalent in a gas car is never changing the oil). There are Model Ss out there with 300K miles on the original battery. Cherry picking to fit your narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
just don't try to hold onto the car too long, or all that gas savings will be gone when you need a new battery. . .

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:35 PM

It would be really interesting to know how many of the people on this thread who have posted negative things about Tesla, have actually driven or been in a passenger seat of a recent year model Tesla? I'd bet most haven't.

Not too long ago I was at a body shop getting some work done on my Genesis (great car by the way) and got into a conversation with the owner about cars. Somehow we got on the topic of Tesla, and he asked me "Have you ever ridden in one?" When I replied no, he asked me "Would you like to? Let's go for a drive"

He took me on a 5 minute drive, and all I can say is WOW! That was one super-cool car!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:19 PM
Sage

You can go to Orlando or Tampa for a test drive if you want to get behind the wheel. Bring some neck protection for acceleration whiplash ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
It would be really interesting to know how many of the people on this thread who have posted negative things about Tesla, have actually driven or been in a passenger seat of a recent year model Tesla? I'd bet most haven't.

Not too long ago I was at a body shop getting some work done on my Genesis (great car by the way) and got into a conversation with the owner about cars. Somehow we got on the topic of Tesla, and he asked me "Have you ever ridden in one?" When I replied no, he asked me "Would you like to? Let's go for a drive"

He took me on a 5 minute drive, and all I can say is WOW! That was one super-cool car!

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:57 PM
Sage

Consumer Reports, Reliability, again, not my opinion, just posting actual opinions from reputable sources
Tesla, dead last. Might add to the cost of ownership, dunno, just spitballing here. . . and the cost of free to repair without use of the car, is still a cost of inconvenience. .
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Consumer_Reports.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	90717  
Old 09-07-2021, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Regardless, I doubt this is a typical situation unless the battery has been abused (the equivalent in a gas car is never changing the oil). There are Model Ss out there with 300K miles on the original battery. Cherry picking to fit your narrative.
Doubting, as an opinion, just fits your narrative, doesn't make the topic false.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage

Don't give me that crap. I never said the topic was false. Don't put words in my mouth. Please present some data on the Tesla fleet to support your narrative about the Tesla batteries. You put it out there, defend it or shut up. Not just one cherry picked case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Doubting, as an opinion, just fits your narrative, doesn't make the topic false.

Last edited by biker1; 09-07-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Sage
Default And also don't drag race, the brakes aren't built to stop all the torque

And also don't drag race, the brakes aren't built to stop all the torque

https://twitter.com/i/status/1433888996216786948

Watch the last 20 seconds where the car lands up, as the driver tries to stop the car.

not that many of you here will try this I trust.
Unfortunately, the video is taken down from youtube, or the link is not working, same concept. . .
Old 09-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage

Tesla'''s Pending China Sales and Model S Plaid—with an Asterisk - by Vicki Bryan - Vicki Bryan'''s Bond Angle

independent review of the discrepancies in the advertised performance specs. . .
Old 09-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage

Another Tesla reportedly using Autopilot hits a parked police car - CNN

of course, the autopilot hones in on parked police cars like a cruise missile. . .
Old 09-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Where is the Cybertruck? It's been several days since we ordered it and NOTHING yet? Another year. I don't know if I'm gonna make it that long. I'm happier than a Clam At High Tide! Can't wait.

I ordered the one with two motors and already my kids have me thinking about getting the one with three motors. My plan of living here with a cheapo car did last for five years. I knew I wouldn't make it

till the end without getting something fun and nuts.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:21 PM

I see there’s a lot of EV haters ( especially Tesla?) but whether you like it or not it’s inevitable ICE manufacturers will all go electric .

ELECTRIC CARS ARE COMING SOON, NO MATTER WHAT THE HATERS SAY | Tesla Owners Online
Old 09-11-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage

But if there isn't enough raw materials to make safe batteries, EV won't scale. . . If you all think this will come true, you all should be investing in LIT, the lithium ETF, REMX, Rare Earth Metals, or Rare Earth Elements, and URA, or uranium which is the cleanest power production process yet, as the grid will need to have more power. Seriously, you will make lots of money, I have already, and it will continue. . . its a good 10-15% of my portfolio just for this reason.

Elon made electric vehicles sexy as a prototype, yes, whole heartedly agree, although he was not the founder of Tesla, he saw an opportunity and exploited the govt subsidies. Elon knows how to talk to make complex topics appear simple to lay people, and the lay people take it and try to reuse it to appear smart. Yes, I know first hand as he tried it in the electric utility on Linked In with a hand sketch diagram of proposed wires between houses as marketing for his roof shingles. I asked the electric transmission engineers at work, and they laughed,. . . like it was a proposal from the 1920's when electrification first began. . . also, he predicted 1,000,000 robo taxis on the road, its been over 2 years, no robo taxi, because he blew believer smoke up listeners' a$$e$

The only long term safety issue with electric cars, is the battery and fire hazard. there have been about 150 documented Tesla battery fires, and the car is still on the road. There were about 2-3 Chevy bolt battery fires and the car was pulled by a responsible car mfg.

Quality EVs will come from the ICE car mfgs because they know how to mfg cars. . . and service cars. . . they have both the mfg, sales and service infrastructure available. I am not against EVs, will try to investment money in their supply chain as a growth opportunity. I encourage all you who are EV believers as well. So conflating Elon and EVs as a single topic is the cultist belief

MY problem is Elon's perpetuation of cultism of those who no longer think critically without experience, and the reality of finance, implementation scaling, quality and politics, as he is a charlatan of major proportions, . . . If you have tons of money with nothing to do, go for it. . . . If you want quality EV, look into the competitors' EVs and you might be very pleasantly surprised.

sportsguy
Closed Thread

Tags
tesla, cost, days, ownership, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.