Cost of Tesla ownership, real time experience

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad-tv View Post
The Tesla Model3 Dual Motor Long Range 2020 is rated at 315miles full charge. So it’s way more than just running around town and you can drive a significant distance without recharging the batteries. So for 98% of your normal daily/ annual driving no concerns about looking for a charger just plug in when you get home and a full charge every day.
For the occasional road trip more that 250 miles away you may have to do a little more planning on where to plug in and get lunch. If that’s a problem then stick with your your ICE vehicle .
The 2021 Model3 LR goes 353 miles full charge and I expect this number is going to rise every year.
The Model S Plaid 390 mile range 0-60 in 2 seconds top speed 200 mph is the fastest production car ever made nothing can touch it.

The LR Model 3 does 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and performance in 3.7 seconds. This will beat most cars in the 1/4 mile even Ferraris have been left in the dust.
Electric Vehicles aren’t for everyone
I don’t care how fast they go, it’s about how far they go, what terrain they are capable of handling, how much weight they can tow, and what other utility features they offer.

We drove back and forth between our Villages home and our home in the Berkshires 5 times in the last year. That’s a 2,750 mile round trip. When driving that far I find it annoying to have to stop for 5 minutes to fill up the gas tank. Having to find a charging station, hopefully one that is not being used, and then waiting for a charge is simply not an option. Can a Tesla handle dirt roads during mud season where my 4WD truck, with aggressive all terrain tires and generous ground clearance sometimes struggles. Can I let the tire pressure on a Tesla down to 12 PSI and drive it on the soft sandy beaches of outer Cape Cod? Can I tow my camper through the hilly terrain of northern New England while barley noticing a performance decline of the tow vehicle like I can with my truck. Oh, and can I attach a snow plow to the front of a Tesla and easily plow a foot of heavy wet snow? And exactly where in the Tesla can I transport a downed 8 point buck so I can get it to the butcher?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You can't compare the current Tesla offerings (sedans and crossovers) with a truck. Now, when the Tesla truck (the Cybertruck) is available later this year or early next year then you can make comparisons. For example, the Cybertruck will be able to tow 14,000 pounds, will have a maximum payload of 3500 pounds, 16" of ground clearance, and a range of 500 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I don’t care how fast they go, it’s about how far they go, what terrain they are capable of handling, how much weight they can tow, and what other utility features they offer.

We drove back and forth between our Villages home and our home in the Berkshires 5 times in the last year. That’s a 2,750 mile round trip. When driving that far I find it annoying to have to stop for 5 minutes to fill up the gas tank. Having to find a charging station, hopefully one that is not being used, and then waiting for a charge is simply not an option. Can a Tesla handle dirt roads during mud season where my 4WD truck, with aggressive all terrain tires and generous ground clearance sometimes struggles. Can I let the tire pressure on a Tesla down to 12 PSI and drive it on the soft sandy beaches of outer Cape Cod? Can I tow my camper through the hilly terrain of northern New England while barley noticing a performance decline of the tow vehicle like I can with my truck. Oh, and can I attach a snow plow to the front of a Tesla and easily plow a foot of heavy wet snow? And exactly where in the Tesla can I transport a downed 8 point buck so I can get it to the butcher?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

NEWS>>>
Everything You Need To Know About Tesla Model 2
Tesla may just land an affordable vehicle on the streets, the Model 2, quite soon, and here is everything we know about it.

A more affordable car than the Tesla Model 3 could very well be on its way. It isn't speculation but a promise by none other than Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk himself. The Tesla Model 2 may be one of the most exciting cars of the decade. Not only shall it bring electric mobility to the masses with its affordable price, but it could also revolutionize the way EVs are perceived and manufactured.

Musk hasn't yet commented on the time it would take for the new Model to see the light of the day, and neither has there been any official statement by the company. However, several speculations suggest that the new car will be called the 'Model 2'. Though we're yet to see any design updates on the car, it would be safe to assume it shall be jaw-dropping, considering Tesla's reputation.

From me>>>
THEN THEY HAD TO RUIN IT.... by stating>>>>

According to Musk, Model 2 will likely be manufactured in China for the global audience.

Reports have also suggested that Tesla would be building this new car entirely in China.

NO THANK YOU!!!!

https://www.hotcars.com/everything-y...tesla-model-2/
Old 06-01-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post

Electric cars aren’t for everyone

F-150 is coming but your still at about 300 miles.
And the cyber truck in a year or 3 with over a million pre orders with deposits. Cyber truck is going to have a 500 mile range

Electric cars and trucks aren’t for everyone

I’m only buying electric from now on but that’s what I like
Old 06-01-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
The amount of additional electricity that will be needed is an easy calculation and has already been done. If all gas cars were replaced today with electric vehicles, the amount of electricity consumed would increase by approximately 25%. This doesn't include trucks. I suspect diesel trucks will be around longer than gas cars. Since the transition from overwhelmingly gas cars to mostly electric cars (at least for new car manufacturing) will likely take 15, or more, years, the required increase in power generation can be planned for.
The Tesla Semi is in testing now ( with pre orders) plus the hydrogen fuel cell is ramping up on Semis. The drivers who are testing the love them no shifting gears anymore and charging stations are being installed in major hubs right now. All exciting stuff!!
Old 06-01-2021, 05:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
The amount of additional electricity that will be needed is an easy calculation and has already been done. If all gas cars were replaced today with electric vehicles, the amount of electricity consumed would increase by approximately 25%. This doesn't include trucks. I suspect diesel trucks will be around longer than gas cars. Since the transition from overwhelmingly gas cars to mostly electric cars (at least for new car manufacturing) will likely take 15, or more, years, the required increase in power generation can be planned for.
For a long time now the electric grid system has been severely strained to meet demand during peak usage times. There are rolling brown outs due to the strain on a weak system and I haven't heard of any efforts being made to correct the problem. The powers that be won't do anything until the grid completely fails and then it will cost huge amounts of money and time to fix the problem. Politicians don't act, they only react so don't expect any efforts to expand electric generation.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Most power outages are due to weather events. I guess you can say the the power grids need to be "hardened" against the weather. Texas and California are the prime examples of weather issues. Power generation in the US has been flat for about a decade at about 4 trillion kWhs. The fuel sources have changed quite a bit with coal down and natural gas up. Apparently this is currently sufficient but I would expect this to increase somewhat over the next decade or so to accommodate electric cars. However, keep in mind that most recharging will probably be done at night when demand is low so peak loads might not be impacted that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
For a long time now the electric grid system has been severely strained to meet demand during peak usage times. There are rolling brown outs due to the strain on a weak system and I haven't heard of any efforts being made to correct the problem. The powers that be won't do anything until the grid completely fails and then it will cost huge amounts of money and time to fix the problem. Politicians don't act, they only react so don't expect any efforts to expand electric generation.

Last edited by tuccillo; 06-01-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
If there is a problem with the electrical grid or even just a power failure then you are still SOL with a gas car since you can't pump gas without power.
But my Honda can go over 550 miles on tank so I can just drive pass the power failure
Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
There is a difference in letting a business write off actual business expenses (which is what they are calling "subsidies for the gas/oil companies") and getting a tax break for buying a product.

You are actually taxed more when buying gasoline...
The government makes more on gallon of gas than company producing it, THAT’s why they get tax breaks/subsidies.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Depends on where the power failure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
But my Honda can go over 550 miles on tank so I can just drive pass the power failure
Old 06-02-2021, 06:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The government makes more on gallon of gas than company producing it, THAT’s why they get tax breaks/subsidies.
Don't forget the states also get their money (tax) on every gallon. Virginia is getting ready to add more TAX for all to build a rail system leading to dc.

Years ago all gas pumps had how much tax was collected by the feds and states, but that isn't allowed anymore. I wonder why???
Old 06-02-2021, 07:32 AM

stop and go traffic is when the electric vehicle is way more efficient
Old 06-02-2021, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

The future is electric.

The Future Is Electric
Old 06-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Don't forget the states also get their money (tax) on every gallon. Virginia is getting ready to add more TAX for all to build a rail system leading to dc.

Years ago all gas pumps had how much tax was collected by the feds and states, but that isn't allowed anymore. I wonder why???
They do not want us to know how much we are paying in taxes per gallon.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They do not want us to know how much we are paying in taxes per gallon.
In Florida we pay 52.8 cents a gallon tax, That's 34.4 cents Florida tax and 18.4 cents, Federal tax.

Here's the 2020 list for all states.

Gas Tax by State 2020 - Current State Diesel & Motor Fuel Tax Rates

Tags
tesla, cost, days, ownership, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.