COVID Breakthrough Rates

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2021, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Understood. BUT, when these officials make a statement, such as, "If you get vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask", they need to add a disclaimer. Such as "If you get vaccinated you do not need to wear a mask, according to the present information we have. If / when new information comes to light, mask requirements may change".
This is partly the cause of mistrust.
You mean sort of like: According to present information, schoolkids no longer need to practice hiding under their desks in the event of a Russian nuclear attack. If new info comes to light, you may need to "protect" yourself by once again hiding under your desk.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu69er View Post
Here's what you need to know about COVID-19 breakthrough infections | Live Science

Finally, some numbers on breakthrough rates of COVID in the new surge of cases. My takeaways: (1) Less than 10% of new COVID cases are breakthrough, (2) if fully vaccinated you have a 1 in 20,000 chance of needing to be hospitalized if you get COVID, (3) if you are fully vaccinated you have a 1 in 7 million chance of dying from COVID, and (4) if you are not vaccinated you could be an incubator for more deadly variants of COVID. Bottom line: Vaccination is the best way to stay safe from COVID and prevent it’s possible future spread.
I don't believe anything the so called experts say anymore.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:53 AM

A study from Emory University Vaccine Center

People who have recovered from COVID-19 retain broad and effective longer-term immunity to the disease, according to a new study.

In following the patients for months, researchers got a more nuanced view of how the immune system responds to COVID-19 infection. The picture that emerges indicates that the body’s defense shield not only produces an array of neutralizing antibodies but activates certain T and B cells to establish immune memory, offering more sustained defenses against reinfection.
The study suggests that patients who survived COVID-19 are likely to also possess protective immunity even against some SARS-CoV-2 variants.

“We saw that antibody responses, especially IgG antibodies, were not only durable in the vast majority of patients but decayed at a slower rate than previously estimated, which suggests that patients are generating longer-lived plasma cells that can neutralize the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.”
Old 08-18-2021, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
The CDC is updating their guidance given new circumstances. They try to give their best advice given what they know NOW as things develop. They are not stuck in the mud. It is not the CDC that changes, in my opinion, it is the circumstances now, that change.
The CDC jumps to conclusions too quickly. It’s not unusual for them to base their “opinion” on too few studies that are often too small to be considered reliable. Good science is not practiced well by many. But just use the words “study” or “science” and people easily swallow it as an undeniable fact.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I’m fully vaccinated and am on day 12 in the hospital. None of these numbers matter when it happens to you.

What are “breakout “ cases by the way.?
I have 5 vaccinated friends in TV that have Covid right now. Fortunately no hospitalizations. Hope you get well soon!
Old 08-18-2021, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsatterlee View Post
A study from Emory University Vaccine Center

People who have recovered from COVID-19 retain broad and effective longer-term immunity to the disease, according to a new study.

In following the patients for months, researchers got a more nuanced view of how the immune system responds to COVID-19 infection. The picture that emerges indicates that the body’s defense shield not only produces an array of neutralizing antibodies but activates certain T and B cells to establish immune memory, offering more sustained defenses against reinfection.
The study suggests that patients who survived COVID-19 are likely to also possess protective immunity even against some SARS-CoV-2 variants.

“We saw that antibody responses, especially IgG antibodies, were not only durable in the vast majority of patients but decayed at a slower rate than previously estimated, which suggests that patients are generating longer-lived plasma cells that can neutralize the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein.”
I’ve read similar. I’ve also read that it’s been a well known fact for decades that it’s the vaccinated that cause a virus to mutate. The mutation is an attempt to survive the change in the host.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:42 AM

I am not seeing anything about percentages of people that have not been vaccinated but had Covid, and still have very high antibodies. I get tested for antibodies every three months and they are still extremely high. Every one that I know of in my category that has been exposed to Covid has not gotten it. My doctor is advising me not to get vaccinated as long as my antibodies are still so high. A good friend had Bell’s palsy years ago and her doctor told her she absolutely cannot get vaccinated or it will trigger it back again. Again, I would like to see statistics regarding natural immunity.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
I don't believe anything the so called experts say anymore.
I think that the CDC, The Surgeon General, and the FDA are reacting to information as it becomes available to them. It is childish to expect that just because they are a group of ethical scientists whose job it is to protect us, that they will have concrete information in a fast changing situation. First, it is almost impossible to trust local and regional information with all kinds of different criteria and political issues.

I am indeed tired of people calling me fearful, for trying to avoid getting sick by being vaccinated and wearing a mask when I think that their fear makes them swallow a bunch of crap from people without any credentials at all. They believe people from their church or who vote like they do.

If you take the time and check out valid sources, you will get closer to the truth. Start with your own PCP.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1717 View Post
I am not seeing anything about percentages of people that have not been vaccinated but had Covid, and still have very high antibodies. I get tested for antibodies every three months and they are still extremely high. Every one that I know of in my category that has been exposed to Covid has not gotten it. My doctor is advising me not to get vaccinated as long as my antibodies are still so high. A good friend had Bell’s palsy years ago and her doctor told her she absolutely cannot get vaccinated or it will trigger it back again. Again, I would like to see statistics regarding natural immunity.
Everyone's case is different and the details matter but I personally know someone who had Bell's Palsy years ago and was vaccinated and has had no problems at all.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-18-2021, 08:20 AM
Default Time to CloseThis Thread

I started this thread to share some information I found regarding COVID vaccine effectiveness.

The MSM inundates us with the latest numbers of COVID infections, hospitalizations, and deaths ad nauseam. But they don’t report the percentage of unvaccinated in those numbers. If they did, we would have some real-world data about the effectiveness of the vaccines.

Only posts #18 and #22 added any useful information to the “discusssion”. All other replies were completely off-point.

Moderator, it’s time to close this post.

Last edited by msu69er; 08-18-2021 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Change post # from 21 to #22.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Apparently, someone didn’t get the memo. Everyone can carry and spread covid 19, even the vaccinated. Covid can also break through and infect the vaccinated and there is no stopping that virus at this time.

That is what the original post said.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I’m fully vaccinated and am on day 12 in the hospital. None of these numbers matter when it happens to you.

What are “breakout “ cases by the way.?

Get well soon! Please reach down deep inside and muster up all the energy and positive thoughts you possibly can and get yourself home. Stay in touch we are all thinking of you.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think that the CDC, The Surgeon General, and the FDA are reacting to information as it becomes available to them. It is childish to expect that just because they are a group of ethical scientists whose job it is to protect us, that they will have concrete information in a fast changing situation. First, it is almost impossible to trust local and regional information with all kinds of different criteria and political issues.

I am indeed tired of people calling me fearful, for trying to avoid getting sick by being vaccinated and wearing a mask when I think that their fear makes them swallow a bunch of crap from people without any credentials at all. They believe people from their church or who vote like they do.

If you take the time and check out valid sources, you will get closer to the truth. Start with your own PCP.
So many unknown unknowns with this virus it seems destined to humble everyone.

The Delta varient is a new story. Viral loads are 1,000 times higher which is why it is more infectious.

The viral loads in the throats of vaccinated persons who become infected with delta rises at identical rates as in unvaccinated persons, but only for the first few days. After five days or so, the viral loads in the vaccinated person start to quickly drop whereas those in the unvaccinated person persist. This key set of observations is important for several reasons relating to vaccinated persons serving as vectors for spread *

So those vaccinated can more easily transmit Delta asymptomaticly.

I would be especially dilligent to protect others (isolate/mask) if starting to feel that scratchy throat pre-cold state.

* What we now know about how to fight the delta variant of COVID | Column
Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1717 View Post
The CDC guidelines for people like us is to get the vaccine. Doesn't make since does it, they aren't following the science.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You mean sort of like: According to present information, schoolkids no longer need to practice hiding under their desks in the event of a Russian nuclear attack. If new info comes to light, you may need to "protect" yourself by once again hiding under your desk.
Yes, and thank you very much for proving my point. If there was a sudden nuclear attack, I would hope our teaching staff would advise all students to take whatever cover they could, however ineffective that cover may be.
Our medical community is guilty of "Failure to communicate" , or, otherwise known as , "Lying by omission".
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, breakthrough, vaccinated, chance, fully

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.