COVID Confusion

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Doctors can't seem to agree on the virus or the vaccinations. The scientists can't seem to agree on either. The CDC did not recommend the vaccination for young children but the gov is pushing the shots for school attendance none the less. There are vaccine studies showing possible serious heart damage by the vaccines, but death by CV19 is about the same percentage of chance. An adult getting the vaccine has about the same chance of dying of infection as a young school age child, yet the system is mandating masks for children in school but the adults can opt out. Latest news says the infection rate has peaked and is going down again. We have folks on here that have gotten the Moderna "booster" shot even though it has not been approved yet, for a third shot. Scientists said that Moderna has a longer (longevity) than Pfizer or J&J so a third shot is not yet needed. But that doesn't hinder the hysterical on here that have already rushed out and gotten their third Moderna shot. After all, more is better...right? Let's all double up on medicines, since more is better.
Personally, I am not even considering a third shot at this time. I got my vaccinations ONLY for my spouse and now she is considering NOT getting a booster when offered. We know almost two dozen covid survivors that only suffered cold like symptoms, so the chance of having serious side effects from the vaccine seem to be about equal with dying from covid. Just our opinion, not to be construed as a suggestion or endorsement one way or another.
Confusion seems to abound on public information. No guarantees, of course.
But, keep the conversation going because maybe some of us will be convinced to change our views.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
The original poster appeared to refer to herd immunity when they questioned whether the actual occurrence of Covid was better than getting vaccinated. My information was from a government website. Where is yours from?
A government website said that viral immunity only lasts 3-9 months?

Please cite that website, because it's simply not true...

The Polio vaccine, for example is considered to give a "lifetime immunity"...

Most others last many years to decades...

And my information came from the Infectious disease courses I took in Med School...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
A government website said that viral immunity only lasts 3-9 months?

Please cite that website, because it's simply not true...

The Polio vaccine, for example is considered to give a "lifetime immunity"...

Most others last many years to decades...

And my information came from the Infectious disease courses I took in Med School...
Some Vaccines Last a Lifetime. Here’s Why Covid-19 Shots Don’t. - WSJ

Why don’t Covid-19 vaccinations last longer?

Measles shots are good for life, chickenpox immunizations protect for 10 to 20 years, and tetanus jabs last a decade or more. But U.S. officials are weighing whether to authorize Covid-19 boosters for vaccinated adults as soon as six months after the initial inoculation.

The goal of a vaccine is to provide the protection afforded by natural infection, but without the risk of serious illness or death.

“A really good vaccine makes it so someone does not get infected even if they are exposed to the virus,” said Rustom Antia, a biology professor at Emory University who studies immune responses. “But not all vaccines are ideal.”

The three tiers of defense, he said, include full protection against infection and transmission; protection against serious illness and transmission; or protection against serious illness only.

The effectiveness depends on the magnitude of the immune response a vaccine induces, how fast the resulting antibodies decay, whether the virus or bacteria tend to mutate, and the location of the infection.

The threshold of protection is the level of immunity that’s sufficient to keep from getting sick. For every bug, it’s different, and even how it’s determined varies.

Windows of immunity for selected vaccines

Hepatitis A
Human
Papillomavirus
Tetanus
Typhoid
Influenza
Covid-19
0 year
Sources: San Francisco Department of Public Health (hepatitis A); National Institutes of Health (human papillomavirus); Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (tetanus, typhoid, influenza, Covid-19)
“Basically, it’s levels of antibodies or neutralizing antibodies per milliliter of blood,” said Mark Slifka, a professor at Oregon Health & Science University.

(T-cells also contribute to protection, but antibodies are easier to measure.)

A threshold 0.01 international units per milliliter was confirmed for tetanus in 1942 when a pair of German researchers intentionally exposed themselves to the toxin to test the findings of previous animal studies.

“One of them gave himself two lethal doses of tetanus in his thigh, and monitored how well it went,” Dr. Slifka said. “His co-author did three lethal doses.”

Neither got sick.

A threshold for measles was pinned down in 1985 after a college dorm was exposed to the disease shortly after a blood drive. Researchers checked antibody concentrations in the students’ blood donations and identified 0.02 international units per milliliter as the level needed to prevent infection.

0:00 / 6:00
Covid Vaccine Efficacy Numbers, Explained
Covid Vaccine Efficacy Numbers, Explained
Recent studies have shown that the effectiveness of Covid-19 vaccines is decreasing, though experts say the shots still work well. WSJ explains what the numbers mean and why they don’t tell the full story. Photo illustration: Jacob Reynolds/WSJ
With these diseases, the magnitudes of response to the vaccines combined with the antibodies’ rates of decay produce durable immune responses: Measles antibodies decay slowly. Tetanus antibodies decay more quickly, but the vaccine causes the body to produce far more than it needs, offsetting the decline.

“We’re fortunate with tetanus, diphtheria, measles and vaccinia,” Dr. Slifka said. “We have identified what the threshold of protection is. You track antibody decline over time, and if you know the threshold of protection, you can calculate durability of protection. With Covid, we don’t know.”

Historically, the most effective vaccines have used replicating viruses, which essentially elicit lifelong immunity.

Measles and chickenpox vaccines use replicating viruses.

Non-replicating vaccines and protein-based vaccines (such as the one for tetanus) don’t last as long, but their effectiveness can be enhanced with the addition of an adjuvant—a substance that enhances the magnitude of the response.

Tetanus and hepatitis A vaccines use an adjuvant.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7691A062-EF72-4448-9B8A-263209DA4DCC.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	91042  

Last edited by Altavia; 10-03-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
My eyes were opened today as I picked up my son at Orlando's MCO airport. We entered the airport unaware that masks are required. We were among the few that were unmasked. No one challenged us but we honestly did not know. Last time we were there in April that requirement did not exist.

We then went to Mallory country club for dinner and no one was wearing a mask.

Today I read that the Phizor Covid vaccination are quickly losing their effectiveness after 6 months Wasn't the delay in getting approval due to FDA requirements to insure that longer range effectiveness was achieved? Is this the same as Moderna and J & J?

Is the Booster shot approved by FDA? How long is it effective.

Is actual occurrence of COVID 19 providing better protection than the inoculations? If so , why does that not allow for continuance of work rather than firing for not getting inoculation?

Not a lot of clear informed instruction and communication.
Here's what I think I know.
1 - Research can be as simple as finding a trusted source(s) that turns out to be correct time after time.
2 - Masks don't work.
3 - The vaccines have a limited shelf life. Boosters forever.
4 - Vaccines aren't really vaccines but rather good therapeutics. If you get sick, it shouldn't be too bad.
5 - The vaccinated are getting sick.
6 - If you get sick, immediately seek an monoclonal antibody treatment.
7 - Natural immunity is better and longer lasting than vaccine.
8 - Just a prediction here, Merck's new drug will be eerily similar to Merck's Ivermectin. $7 vs. $0.50.

That's what I think I know.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagele View Post
8 - Just a prediction here, Merck's new drug will be eerily similar to Merck's Ivermectin. $7 vs. $0.50.

That's what I think I know.
$700 not $7 for 5 days of treatment.

It also has fewer modes of action, mainly in that Merck's new offering is only a protease inhibitor similar to IVM. The difference is that IVM competitively binds to the spike protein as well and that is probably why IVM works so well as prophylaxis. There are also about 7 lesser methods that IVM uses, like the Importin alpha and beta channels but hey, at least they aren't using Merck's new offering in horses. Merckmectin also has about half the efficacy, but at least now all the pharma shills will be touting it to the skies, so a win is a win I guess.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
My eyes were opened today as I picked up my son at Orlando's MCO airport. We entered the airport unaware that masks are required. We were among the few that were unmasked. No one challenged us but we honestly did not know. Last time we were there in April that requirement did not exist.

We then went to Mallory country club for dinner and no one was wearing a mask.

Today I read that the Phizor Covid vaccination are quickly losing their effectiveness after 6 months Wasn't the delay in getting approval due to FDA requirements to insure that longer range effectiveness was achieved? Is this the same as Moderna and J & J?

Is the Booster shot approved by FDA? How long is it effective.

Is actual occurrence of COVID 19 providing better protection than the inoculations? If so , why does that not allow for continuance of work rather than firing for not getting inoculation?

Not a lot of clear informed instruction and communication.
Plenty of informed instruction and communications available, it just may not be what you want to hear or investigate. What the airport is doing re masking has been out there and on the news for months and updated. Same with TV restaurants, although that can be solved with a phone call. All depends on how safe or unsafe you want to be and how you feel about helping keeping others safe.....personal choices.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-03-2021, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Windows of immunity for selected vaccines
"Selected" Vaccines...

And none of that disproved what I stated...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-03-2021, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
$700 not $7 for 5 days of treatment.
Yup!

-Tom Petty
Old 10-04-2021, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

I'm sorry you're not one of the few not carrying masks in your car. Where have you been the last 18 months, that people got to go out in public should be wearing masks?
Old 10-04-2021, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Yes it's a personal choice, but one with a lot of potential harm if you don't adhere to the status quo. In other words don't you wear your seatbelt in your car? I'm not wearing a mask is 10 times as bad as not wearing a seatbelt because it affects a lot of other people as well
Old 10-04-2021, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
There was just a segment on Sunday Morning on television this morning on how Facebook is spreading misinformation
about everything, especially the virus and how people believe Facebook is the bible for all information.
And here I thought ToTV was the bible for all information.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Actually much of the information has been fairly clear. Relative to your first point regarding the mask requirement at airports, this requirement has been in place for almost 6 months. It has probably been covered over 100 times on the local and world news.

Never heard of the Phizor vaccine. Is this a new vaccine?

Vaccines lose there effectiveness over a period of time thus booster shots may be required.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
And here I thought ToTV was the bible for all information.
Only if it's hairdresser confirmed.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Reading comprehension check.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C6309D4C-BED4-4196-B68B-1FCB832092E0.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	91044  
Old 10-04-2021, 06:10 AM
Default Snowbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I blame the Snowbirds!
Your attempt at humor failed. 😝
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, effectiveness, fda, today, airport

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.