Damage to cars in transit

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2022, 08:35 AM
Default Damage to cars in transit

Out on the road yesterday and saw saw a fire that destroyed the tractor of a truck hauling cars. Couldn’t see if cars were damaged . This made me wonder if your personal car insurance covers any damage or if the firm hauling the cars covers the damage. For those who have used these services, what do you know about this? Thx

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

IMHO, all of the carriers will be slightly different, the associated insurance will be slightly different. If you are looking into shipping a car, I would call my insurance agent and ask them about coverage, then, if necessary, ask or otherwise make sure that you have coverage from the carrier (of the car). This will get much more complicated if you are dealing with a broker to transport the car.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Comprehensive car insurance coverage may cover your vehicle if it sustains any damage during transportation due to fire, wind, hail, flood, theft, vandalism, falling objects, or animals. Auto collision coverage might come into play if the transporter driving your vehicle is involved in an accident. Every insurer is different, so check with yours to understand how coverage might work for transport-related claims.

Tags
cars, damage, covers, hauling, yesterday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.