Dear moderator let's debate, pleeeze

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
For those that are adamantly against a political discussion, why is it that you feel that others cannot discuss without your finding it impossible to restrain yourself from entering the discussion? Is there some reason that you feel that others should not discuss politics, just based on the idea that you feel that it is abhorrent to you? Do you not have the ability to ignore the subject matter area and move on to say, "speed bumps, bonds, dog droppings and stickers on mailboxes?" I am puzzled that if you do not like politics and do not wish to know what is going on or other folks opinion, you feel that NO one should be allowed the freedom of discussion. TOTV is a great representative of the First Amendment, even though it is privately run and totally up to them how it is operated. Either way they make their decision, they still have a great means of moving news and communications in the Villages. KUDOS!
How very well said!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The state of US politics at the moment, like our own here in UK, are so divided and partisan, the words 'reasonable debate' have been discontinued for the forseeable future.
YES

Why go there? The Villages is such a beautiful and entertaining place, it’s like a big family of friends. The rule at my family/friends gatherings is no discussions of politics or religion. Let us enjoy our retirement and keep blood pressure down, it will be healthier for everyone.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The political forum had its share of racists, bullies, and just plain mean spirited posts. A few of those in that group are still here and others probably on the sideline. There is no doubt that history would repeat itself for the third time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 PM

NO , keep politics out ..... Warm Walt
Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
For those that are adamantly against a political discussion, why is it that you feel that others cannot discuss without your finding it impossible to restrain yourself from entering the discussion? Is there some reason that you feel that others should not discuss politics, just based on the idea that you feel that it is abhorrent to you?
For me, politics aren't intrinsically abhorrent and I've never read any of the forum incarnations here. What I do believe is that antagonism and personal grudges from political opinions have seeped into the regular forums and fostered ill will and factions.

Last edited by queasy27; 10-21-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

It is so important that we keep dialog , who knows maybe we might learn a "thing or two" from each other.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
For those that are adamantly against a political discussion, why is it that you feel that others cannot discuss without your finding it impossible to restrain yourself from entering the discussion? Is there some reason that you feel that others should not discuss politics, just based on the idea that you feel that it is abhorrent to you? Do you not have the ability to ignore the subject matter area and move on to say, "speed bumps, bonds, dog droppings and stickers on mailboxes?" I am puzzled that if you do not like politics and do not wish to know what is going on or other folks opinion, you feel that NO one should be allowed the freedom of discussion. TOTV is a great representative of the First Amendment, even though it is privately run and totally up to them how it is operated. Either way they make their decision, they still have a great means of moving news and communications in the Villages. KUDOS!
Unfortunately political debate on this forum was beyond disgusting, the name calling and threatening was getting rather frightening. However, there are two excellent clubs in TV where you can debate politics, there is the older one Civil Discourse and a new group called Controversial Subjects. Both allow debate and discussion in a civilized manner with no name calling. You state your case and it goes from there. However, in both these clubs you cannot hide behind your computer, you are face to face with the world and your views are on display for all to see and discuss. Some interesting and intelligent debates.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

With the approval of The Moderators, why don't we have a test give and take and I'll pick the participants? That will settle this in two minutes.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Unfortunately political debate on this forum was beyond disgusting, the name calling and threatening was getting rather frightening. However, there are two excellent clubs in TV where you can debate politics, there is the older one Civil Discourse and a new group called Controversial Subjects. Both allow debate and discussion in a civilized manner with no name calling. You state your case and it goes from there. However, in both these clubs you cannot hide behind your computer, you are face to face with the world and your views are on display for all to see and discuss. Some interesting and intelligent debates.
I still do not understand why perceptions like the above are presented as a general description of the political forum....yes there was a minority of those who deserve to be categorized as such.....the majority of us played by the rules.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I still do not understand why perceptions like the above are presented as a general description of the political forum....yes there was a minority of those who deserve to be categorized as such.....the majority of us played by the rules.
As is often the case, the minority was louder than the majority!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
As is often the case, the minority was louder than the majority!

Hence the majority loses another one......an unfortunate growing trend in America!!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

One can feel the pent up political yearnings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Politics. HELL NO.. Too many obnoxious people
Old 10-21-2019, 08:18 PM
Wink As may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
A thousand NO's ! Talk of The Villages is a much more pleasant place these days.
Well, I agree whole-heartedly about the peaceful ambience around here. However, there are those among us who LOVE to debate things, and it does have a place among those who like it. I mean TRUE debate, NOT arguments that leave other people's hair on fire.

There is no desperate need to read EVERY blurb anyway. Thus, there is no desperate need to knock down the idea of _olitical debate in specific threads about _olitics.
. C'mon now, we are OLD enough to know when to back off. If not, perhaps we are not as old as others say we are.

* Dad used to say, "The guy in the car in front of you is an escaped village idiot. Don't get him angry."
Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 PM

Bwaaahahahaha!
Closed Thread

Tags
debate, facts, eluded, discover, important

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.