Decorating Trends

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

This is the third time I have tried to write this post.

I had been up since 5:30, reading and drinking coffee, when I decided to log on here and ask a question about antiquing kits.

Well, you know I can never just ask a simple question. I had told all of you why I wanted to know. I had talked about my loyalty to US-made furniture. I had shamelessly confessed about the wood chairs I just bought that were from nowhere near the US. I had linked you to a picture of them. I had explained that "Antique White" must have lost something in the translation because these chairs have arrived and they are beige or yellow or something like that. Therefore, I am thinking maybe they can be saved by an antiquing kit. But do such things still exist?

Then I told you about all the stuff I used an antiquing kit on in my first apartment -- long ago.

Then I waxed philosophic about the American-made Nichols and Stone kitchen chairs that I bought 5 years ago and how I love them so.

On and on I was going.

But, alas, it is big, ugly, wonderful, fluffy robe season here in Cincinnati. And the big, ugly, wonderful, fluffy sleeve of my robe caught something on the keyboard and wiped out my whole post.

So I regrouped and started over. And then the power did one of those flash on and off things. I lost it all again.

Is the universe trying to tell me something????

So anyway, does anybody know if there is still such a thing as an antiquing kit?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-30-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boom.

I haven't seen one lately, but one can get the same results by painting a base coat, in your case white and then painting a glaze and wiping it off.

Boomer, I also thought of you as we went to the Frontgate outlet in West Chester. Today and yesterday was 40% off EVERYTHING. We bought a secretary in cherry and a demilune table in antique white. Wonderful price.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-30-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee
Smile

Boomer,

Try EBAY.........or www.howstuffworks.com

I have a Nichols & Stone (who are closing up shop), trestle table, six chairs and a bench at home in NY.......it is over 30 years old and still looks like new. About 15 years ago, I had it re-done from very dark wood to its natural oak finish.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 11-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Boomer,

Try EBAY.........or www.howstuffworks.com

I have a Nichols & Stone (who are closing up shop), trestle table, six chairs and a bench at home in NY.......it is over 30 years old and still looks like new. About 15 years ago, I had it re-done from very dark wood to its natural oak finish.

Shirleevee, I think Stickley has acquired Nichols and Stone. The chairs, which I bought on sale 5 years ago, are wonderfully comfortable. The advertising at the time, I think said something to the effect of "so comfortable that your dinner guests will not want to get up from the table." They are big, sturdy ladderbacks. (the chairs not the guests)

I hope Stickley lets Nichols and Stone continues its tradition. It is getting more and more difficult to find American-made furniture.

GG, thank you for the information. I would never take a paint brush to the good stuff, but I am ready to give these other ones I was talking about a try. I will probably make a mess though, like I usually do when attempting a project like that. And I will no doubt find that I would have been better off just going to that sale.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Soaring Parsley

This is a good thread to dig up for decorating questions. We have talked about all kinds of decorating things in this thread. It has been helpful, and fun, too. I find myself coming back to it from time to time.

So here's my question. It's not the most general of questions. That's for sure. But what the heck, I'll ask anyway.

Does anybody know a good source for decorative floor register covers?

I have been searching on line for the past hour and have found what I am looking for, sort of, but not really. Anyway, I thought maybe somebody out there in TOTVland might know.

These things are to go over the openings for the registers in a tile floor. Several years ago, I bought some of these for openings in hardwood floors. I liked the ones I bought then. They had a little weight to them, a little substance, yet they did not cost a blue fortune. They were not custom made, but they were really nice -- and reasonably priced.

So far, I have looked at Restoration Hardware's site. They have a few but don't have the size I need for the room next to the room with the tile floor. That room just got a new register, too.

At Home Depot I saw some, but they did not look right. They were flimsy.

Has anyone among you bought any of these things lately, and if so, where? And do you like them?

Thanks.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Gold member
Smile

http://www.floorregisterresources.co...r-Registers-SN

You can try a search for Signature Hardware. I bought some things from them a while ago.

Good Luck

Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

There is a chain of stores called "The Tile Shop" that I have spent some time in lately. If they have a store in your area, you might want to check there. It seems to me I remember seeing some register covers there that were appropriate for tile flooring.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

. . . the power did one of those flash on and off things. I lost it all again.

Is the universe trying to tell me something????

So anyway, does anybody know if there is still such a thing as an antiquing kit?

Boomer
Boomer, YES! That's the Universe talking to you.
I think the new glazes are today's answer to yesterday's antiquing kits. You paint your chairs whatever base color you want (no more avocado or federal blue kits) and then "glaze" the furniture. At least this is what the woman at Lowe's told me, and she was old enough to know what an antiquing kit was. They have a gazillion colors of glazes.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Soaring Parsley

Shirleevee and SS and UU,

Thank you.

SS, tiling, too, huh? I have the skinniest grout lines possible in this floor. I live and learn.

UU, WHAT!!!!! NO AVOCADO!!!!!

And Shirlee, has anyone ever told you that you are a genius? You always know about the best sites.

btw, I have been spending the day cleaning out drawers and files. It's a New Year, right? I am sure I will get over this cleaning frenzy soon.

But I gotta tellya. Today, I found an old notebook where I kept track of the stuff we did to our house when we bought it. And there, in that notebook, I found the LIGHTING FORMULAS! Yep. I did.

Now, you may be thinking, "WTH is Boomer talking about?"

Well, a long time ago, in this very thread, I asked about lighting formulas. I knew I used to know what I was talking about, but I could not remember those formulas.

Here is what my notebook said...

Size of a chandelier: 1/2 the width of the table and hang it 30 inches up from the table top.

Room Wattage: To have enough lighting in a room, do the old A=LW thing and then multiply the square footage by 1.5.

Well, here I am, just being the queen of information tonight. But you know what I really think? The chandelier? That's a start, but other stuff can work, too.

And about that wattage for enough light in a room. It depends on what you want to do in that room I think. I have sconces and I will have lamps and the ceiling fan has a light and then there are some more lights.

I am always trying to light up my life I guess.

For this project, I have enough light available to be able to perform an emergency appendectomy on a dinner guest if need be. (only thing is -- I am not a doctor.)

That's the way I like it. But I also make sure there is a dimmer switch or two.

Thanks, again. And I think I have found the register covers of my dreams on that site, Shirlee. And they do not cost a blue fortune. (I must confess. I have no idea what a blue fortune is. Why is the fortune blue? I do not even know why I say that. Or where I got the expression. Oh well.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Boomer- I posted pictures of the tiling that my hubby and I are doing in our house. It is listed in the Feminine Forum under "Remodel Report". I promised that I would post pics to let you see how we are progressing. You need to post pics of your new room that you put in too. Let us see the before and after! Can't wait to see what you have been up to!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
,,,,,,,,,You can try a search for Signature Hardware. I bought some things from them a while ago.

Good Luck
Shirleevee,

I just placed an order with Signature Hardware. Their selection of register covers is impressive. I have never seen so many choices of styles and finishes.

Throughout this thread, you have consistently come up with places that I have never heard of. You sure make wonderful connections. And I just want to say thank you.

And something else -- As it turns out Signature Hardware is located in Erlanger, Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati where I live. They even have a showroom there. And also, their prices are not ridiculous.

Again, thank you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-13-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Sage
Smile Thanks

SS, you inspired me! We ordered our tile today. Glass. Here's a close-up picture of it. We have mostly earth tones in our home and many copper, other metal and stone accents. I'll post another picture when it's finished. You can't really tell from the picture, but the copper is very bright, sage green, black, tan, ivory. I love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Villages Florida
Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Gold member

Boomer,

So glad you found something useful. My dil was looking to replace registers and I found this place for her. They were very happy.

Chelsea,

ILove your colors. I have this palette in our NY home and hopefully one day here. Beautiful!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Chels,

I love your tile! Glass tile is soooo beautiful. Please let us see the pics when you are done!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.