Anybody got an e-book!

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Platinum member
Default Anybody got an e-book!

Been looking at Barnes and Nobles Nook and wondering if anyone has one and how satisfied you are with it?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Been looking at Barnes and Nobles Nook and wondering if anyone has one and how satisfied you are with it?
Just bought two so far we are very pleased
Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Sage

Hi Wendy,
Here's more information on the Nook from a previous threat:

Barnes and Noble....Nook
Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Platinum member
Smile

The link is a good one. I got my Nook in Jan and don't know how I got along without it. I am always reading something. Just got back from a cruise and was sure to have a couple new books downloaded for my trip. The thing I like the best is I can make the print nice and large. On the ship I can put it in my handbag and if we go to the show a little early for good seats, I just pull it right out. Not too sociable to my husband, I guess, but he understands me.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Sage

BTW Wendy, I have the Kindle. Don't really know how it compares with the Nook since I haven't used a Nook, but I do love the Kindle. You might want to compare features, number of tltles available, price of the device, price of books, battery life, how long it takes to charge the batteries and how soon new best sellers are available on each.

It seems many of the features are the same. One feature I love on the Kindle is the built-in dictionary that lets you look up any word you come across in just a few clicks. You can also bookmark pages, highlight text and make notes. Don't know if these features are also available on Nook, but I'm betting a Nook user on this forum could tell you.

I doubt you will go wrong with either. I love mine. I Kindle daily.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Platinum member

Here is a deal I found today on my email:
Buy a Nook and get a $50 gift cert for books.

Also if you open a Barnes and Noble MasterCard you can get another gift cert for $25--and 5% off your books.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Nook does have on line dictionary.

Our deciding factor was the classes and support available at local Barnes and Noble stores. We took them to a B&N store last night to play with them. One of the employees came over and spent an hour teaching us about it (and gave us certificates for free books).
BTW show you nook at the B&N coffee bar and you get a free coffee. at $2 per cup I will be able to get a return on our investment in 100 cups
Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Platinum member

My daughter showed up for our cruise in 2009 with her Kindle, proudly told me that she had some dozen books on it, "in case I get bored."

I'm happy to report that she never opened her library the entire week!

I'm still blown away by the concept of being able to have almost any book you want at your fingertips no matter where you are!

SWR
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

I love to read on a cruise. One of my favorite things is to sit and read and watch the water--or somethings watch the people between pages. I don't read because I'm bored. It is a primary thing I love to do. If I can combine it with cruising--another favorite--so much the better.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
I love to read on a cruise. One of my favorite things is to sit and read and watch the water--or somethings watch the people between pages. I don't read because I'm bored. It is a primary thing I love to do. If I can combine it with cruising--another favorite--so much the better.
With 2 cruises scheduled in the next 9 months mine will get alot of use.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
With 2 cruises scheduled in the next 9 months mine will get alot of use.
We also have 2 cruises scheduled. One in Oct (Radiance--out of Tampa) and one in Dec ( Ryndam out of Tampa) Sounds like you like to cruise as much as we do.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-12-2010, 05:41 PM

I was all set to buy a Nook about a month ago until the folks at B&N told me that there is sometimes a lag of up to three weeks between when a new book hits the stores and when it becomes available on the Nook at a discounted price. Killed the deal for me because I buy mainly non-fiction new releases and best sellers and like to have them when they first come out.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Platinum member

That's new to me. I often preorder. The date the book will be released is listed. I don't remember having to wait for a book for my Nook.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Sage
Default You can do it with the AC on!

With everybody complaining about the heat, now would be a good time to order a Nook or Cranny, I mean Kindle.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM

I received the Sony Reader for Christmas last year and just love it. It is so nice to take on the airplane...no thick books to carry around and the little light attached is perfect for reading in dark areas. I think any brand you choose you would love!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.