Diet Coke?

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2022, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My consumption of Diet Coke was massive once I stopped drinking alcohol in the mid-'90s. I changed over to Diet Coke and drank it like a Conehead, Massive Quantities. Several years later I stopped all soda and felt much better. On occasion, I may have a Regular Coke. During a recent visit, my wife brought a case of Diet Coke to our son's house and I tried one and was astounded at how terrible it tasted. It was really bad. I'm back to Lipton Diet Green Iced Tea. It's good for you on top of it not tasting like dirt.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darield View Post
It amazes me that they even put "Supposedly a Healthy Drink" in the title. Aspartame has been known to be dangerous for many years. Before I gave up soda over 15 years ago, I had a health practitioner tell me that diet soda was more dangerous than regular soda. The National Library of Medicine says "Aspartame use has also been associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and hormone-related cancers". Aspartame—True or False? Narrative Review of Safety Analysis of General Use in Products - PMC.
It can also mimic MS. How it hasn't been banned is beyond me.

Please, you have made a wrong attribution. The National Library of Medicine [NLM] absolutely did NOT say anything of the sort. The article you link was published in a journal, Nutrients.

The NLM is a library, like the name strongly suggests. That library has the journal. The authors of the journal present some of the data on aspartame. All the authors are pharmacists in Poland.

Be very very careful when you say aspartame is "associated with" any outcome. Swimming is associated with drowning and shark bites. Going for a walk is associated with being hit by cars. Associated with means things occur together. It does not prove anything about cause and effect.

Aspartame use may or may not be causally associated with obesity. Is that because aspartame causes obesity or is it because people who are obese are trying to limit their sugar intake and loose weight? The same is true of every claim you asserted. Obese people have more diabetes, more fatty liver disease, more cardiovascular disease.

In fact the article you cite directly refutes your claim of increased risk of any cancer. From the article:

Quote:
"it is not possible to conclusively determine that aspartame is carcinogenic for humans. Indeed, most research fails to identify any such association"
The sentence you copied does not contain a link to any reference source that supports the claim. Reference 59 is the only one on hormone related cancers, specifically breast cancer, and the original article can be found at Etiology of Hormone Receptor–Defined Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review of the Literature | Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention | American Association for Cancer Research

The word aspartame does not appear anywhere in that article.

Bacon is carcinogenic. Sunshine is carcinogenic. Sunscreen is likely carcinogenic. Unless you are one of the one in fifteen thousand people with PKU, aspartame is certainly not, as you so forcefully and incorrectly, IMO and per the science I read, "known to be dangerous for many years"
Old 08-19-2022, 04:46 AM
Veteran member

Just saw my doctor yesterday after blood work and with diabetes especially she said never ever drink diet soda again. First most sodas have a lot of salt which is no good for your heart or blood pressure secondly even the fake sugar supposedly is bad for you. She suggested if I need something carbonated to just get the flavored Seltzer Waters with 5 calories only such as the Mandarin of the strawberries which have a lot less chemicals in them but still have some salt but are much better for you. I'm drinking a lot of water and not even as much unsweet iced tea as before because of the caffeine levels not being good for your heart or blood pressure.
But I still remember 30 years ago when they started complaining that barbecued foods cause cancer and I adamantly refuse to stop eating stuff off the grill.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:50 AM
Veteran member

You do know that in New York City they tried to ban Big gulp drinks? They had a result in outrage. Also those on snap which used to be cold food stamps can only buy certain things with them? So there is a certain amount how government intervention and of course we have the famous food pyramid but since all food and farm are big business there is a lot of dollars spent on the business is telling government what they should do. Growing tobacco and cigarettes are still legal in America as another example even though we've had 50 years of studies showing they cause cancer
Old 08-19-2022, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Peanuts

Just as another so I know do you know that peanuts cause a tremendous amount of deaths by allergy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
You do know that in New York City they tried to ban Big gulp drinks? They had a result in outrage. Also those on snap which used to be cold food stamps can only buy certain things with them? So there is a certain amount how government intervention and of course we have the famous food pyramid but since all food and farm are big business there is a lot of dollars spent on the business is telling government what they should do. Growing tobacco and cigarettes are still legal in America as another example even though we've had 50 years of studies showing they cause cancer
Old 08-19-2022, 07:05 AM

For those that think Diet coke is ok - carry on
I personally don't like the taste of it so no big deal in my case. Mix it with some Jack Daniels though and I can get it down.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenceanne View Post
For those that think Diet coke is ok - carry on
I personally don't like the taste of it so no big deal in my case. Mix it with some Jack Daniels though and I can get it down.
The Villages Florida

Except I like the taste of it... I find most regular sodas too sweet...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-19-2022, 08:40 AM

The key is to add about an once or two of Rum to it. Makes all the bad effects go away.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Just saw my doctor yesterday after blood work and with diabetes especially she said never ever drink diet soda again. First most sodas have a lot of salt which is no good for your heart or blood pressure secondly even the fake sugar supposedly is bad for you. ....
Diet soda does NOT cause diabetes. How would this be known. You do a very long term study of a group of people. You have them do their usual eating and living all the while keeping a food diary recording and reporting what they eat and drink. They have regular follow up medical care and blood work. You see whether there is more diabetes in the diet soda drinkers importantly after adjusting for obesity. This has been done
Associations of diet soda and non-caloric artificial sweetener use with markers of glucose and insulin homeostasis and incident diabetes: the Strong Heart Family Study | European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Diet Soda and Sugar-Sweetened Soda Consumption in Relation to Incident Diabetes in the Northern Manhattan Study | Current Developments in Nutrition | Oxford Academic

You can find studies that simply ask do diet drinkers develop diabetes more than non-diet drinkers. The answer to that question is yes, but the relationship disappears once you control for obesity. Overweight people are more likely to get diabetes. Overweight people are more likely to drink diet soda. Overweight people who do not drink diet soda are just as likely to get diabetes as those who do drink diet soda. It neither causes nor prevents diabetes.

How much sodium is in diet Coke?
In a standard size 16.9 oz bottle there are 60 mg
in the same sized bottle of Lipton diet Green tea there are 180 mg
In the same amount of fat free milk there are 260 mg

In one slice of bread there are 180 mg

No, I don't think diet coke would be accurately called high in sodium. There are zero sodium options like water or carbonated water.

Last edited by blueash; 08-19-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:16 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrice60 View Post
Coke lost me when they went "WOKE" & wanted me to apologize for being white
Another conspiracy theory on social media without facts or taken completely out of context.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:26 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
None of that is true. Hints of truth, drowned in floods of internet myth. It all boils down to this: Nothing is good for you in large quantities. Diet Coke, in moderation, won't cause any of that. And, I know more on this topic than as many as you can find to post here, all put together.
Good post and what you say makes sense.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Talk to me when the govt becomes efficient in spending our tax monies.
Just like an important basketball game - society needs referees. Government IS the referee. Without the National Government , we could have no interstate, no clean air and water. borders, MILITARY, social security, scientific and medical RESEARCH, and the list goes on. There are many things that private individuals and individual corporations can NEVER do as well as the federal government

As far as government WASTE goes........individuals waste resources, and so do private corporations. Everyone complains about government taxes, but they like the FBI when they break up a child prostitution ring, which is in the news today. Without a strong military we would soon be speaking Chinese or Russian.

For all we know the US may be the most efficient government in the free world. That would be hard to compare, but there may be a list somewhere? I believe that there are AREAS of the US Government that could be made more efficient, BUT I can not make a blanket statement that the US Federal Government is inefficient or not worth the tax money that we pay for it.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Got a question? Why do peanuts float in in a reg. Coke but not in a Diet Coke?
Sugar adds to viscosity/density of liquid, also causes better retention of CO2 which might increase buoyancy.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Isn't that where the national government should come into play to promote health and keep us from making BAD decisions. I know that some will counter with, "We NEED the freedom of speech to make our own terrible decisions".But, personally, I don't believe that because all taxpayers lose when hospital costs rise. An example of industries BAD behavior is getting YOUNG people hooked on tobacco by allowing VAPING.That may support Corporate greed, but it does NOT improve health outcomes. Diet soda drinks are similar to Vaping - bad health outcomes and good corporate greed.

Government could do a lot more to promote public health short of that dirty word "MANDATE". It could begin by NOT raising the volume of ads on TV. It could reduce TV ads for unhealthy products like DIET soda and other unhealthy products. Personally, I would NOT mind if tax payer money was used as a BRIDGE to get companies like Pepsi, Coke, and those Vaping sleaze companies to convert to bottling orange juice or some other healthy product. The tax costs would be offset by healthier lives for Americans.
Unfortunately orange juice is one if the worst things you can drink!

Last edited by DeborahK; 08-19-2022 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-2022, 02:42 PM

"As per experts, its a complete myth and as per studies those who consumed diet soda frequently over a decade had a 70 percent larger waist circumference than those who did not consume diet soda."

Sorry, but this doesn't pass the sniff test. So let's say the non-diet coke drinkers had a 33" waist. That means the diet coke drinkers had a 56" waist. Call me skeptical, but I don't believe them, or their study was flawed.
Closed Thread

Tags
diet, coke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.