Protect Your Credit Cards

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Protect Your Credit Cards

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lLAFhTjsQHw%26sns=em
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

I had seem a similar video some time ago and when my bank issued me a new card with RFID on it I was there as fast as I could get there to get it replaced. I had worked with this gal at the bank on many other banking issues in the past and described to her just how it works. She cancelled that card and had a new one sent without RFID. She then checked her two cards and canceled both of hers and got replacements.

If done properly the replacement card will have the same number as your current card but may have a different security ID. There is no way I would ever have an RFID credit card or debit card.

When working in IT I got to play around with card readers and programmers and just like in the video we were able to duplicate all types of cards onto different cards and it was oh so easy.

VG
Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

How do you know if your new card has RFID in it???
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

View the link above. It shows what to look for to find out if yours are RFID enabled.

This is really scary, we are about to travel to Europe and passports are now RFID equipped.....Ordering shields today!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourpar View Post
View the link above. It shows what to look for to find out if yours are RFID enabled.

This is really scary, we are about to travel to Europe and passports are now RFID equipped.....Ordering shields today!
AAA in Spanish Springs has an assortment of cases that have shields built in.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM

You may need to worry about this for Debit cards but not Credit Cards. The banks have a very different view on security than we do. They do their analysis and determine the value of getting more cards in use vs the fraud potential. As long as the results are positive on the revenue side they'll run with it. The basic credit card with 16 numbers, a name and expiration date obviously isn't particularly secure. Signature was never any security. Have you noticed how you can now walk out without even signing under $50 sometimes. It's unfortunate because we all pay for the fraud, but as long as enough pay the confiscatory interest rates and the fees continue to come in, it will continue. The good news is you're never liable for more than $50, and even that's rare because they don't want any attention given to the issue.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal :-) View Post
You may need to worry about this for Debit cards but not Credit Cards. The banks have a very different view on security than we do. They do their analysis and determine the value of getting more cards in use vs the fraud potential. As long as the results are positive on the revenue side they'll run with it. The basic credit card with 16 numbers, a name and expiration date obviously isn't particularly secure. Signature was never any security. Have you noticed how you can now walk out without even signing under $50 sometimes. It's unfortunate because we all pay for the fraud, but as long as enough pay the confiscatory interest rates and the fees continue to come in, it will continue. The good news is you're never liable for more than $50, and even that's rare because they don't want any attention given to the issue.
Okay, so we can just ignore this "threat" unless it is for a Debit card. Really?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

[COLOR="Magenta"]Anmazing!! [/COLOR]
Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

My husband and I bought the Alumacard, 2 for $7.00, from Marion Flea Market, in the As Seen On TV section. It contains a pocket for each credit card and protects them from anyone. It measures about 3 by 4 inches and comes in an assortment of colors.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Amazon has a pretty extensive offering of cases, wallets or just individual card covers ranging from as low as 77 each on up to $3-4 depending on what one's preferences. I ordered the ones from the company that also makes them for the government that cover that passports with the chip in.

btk
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Amazon has a pretty extensive offering of cases, wallets or just individual card covers ranging from as low as 77 each on up to $3-4 depending on what one's preferences. I ordered the ones from the company that also makes them for the government that cover that passports with the chip in.

btk
Me too. Can't imagine the potential problems if passport info is compromised.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage
Smile

We were victims of debit card fraud very recently. The culprit made a copy and was using it in Georgia for about $900 until the bank spotted it. It happened right after we traveled by air from Detroit to Orlando airports. I think everyone should watch this video to be aware of what could really happen and how tricky the thieves are getting. I ordered 8 protectors for my cards on Amazon for $8.00 just to be safe.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.