Do you believe the news?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 08:01 PM
Default Npr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

NPR is an excellent source.

I have a neighbor, who talks like she is an expert on everything but, is actually oblivious/allergic to facts and the truth even when shown to her, asked when I once mentioned them..."what is a NPR?"

I like NPR because i learn a lot but it has some bias to the left. I used to like the McNeill Lehrer News Hour on PBS. Still watch some PBS news.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
All media is biased. It is so obvious. There’s always been bias but now it seems to have turned to agenda pushing in the guise of news. Sometimes i think 5 every day Americans would make better experts on these channels and shows. These people focus on the stupidest things and they think they are intellectuals. They’ ve been living in new york or Washington so long, it’s group think and the group you follow depends on your party. We need more channels outside of New York and DC.

And the great ny times and washington post are biased. I prefer the wall st journal... also has some implicit bias but a bit less.
Interesting....actually, I find the Times and Post, which I have been reading daily for many years, to be a bit "boring" due to its total objectivity....not exciting reading but exact in its detail and facts.

But, my reading does not stop there because people are human being and personal likes and dislikes can leak through, however,

To me, overt bias is obvious because if the media is reporting a story, enmasse, then there is a story and I trust the Times and Post to sort out the details.

Just an opinion ,and in this case shown to be accurate over and over.

Years ago, in working within this world, I became aware of the stringent policies that exist with editors to even get a new story printed.

Again, I speak of NEWS, not as was discussed on earlier posts, opinion folks talking loud and playing with truth and facts. I think they are an insult to all of us.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

BBC used to set the standard but not any more. I’ll have to listen to NPR. I think NYT has a strong bias. But it keeps pushing me to think about things from other view points.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
I like NPR because i learn a lot but it has some bias to the left. I used to like the McNeill Lehrer News Hour on PBS. Still watch some PBS news.
When you say "bias", I am curios exactly what you mean.

Do they report facts ? Do they omit facts ? How do you find bias, because again, I think news folks...NEWS FOLKS, in the whole do a great job. The television folks are beginning to confuse everyone as to what is news and what is opinion and maybe we re taking that to the print media as well.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I don't think there are any truly objective news outlets in the US.
I Googled the NY Times in terms of political bias. THere were a number of instances that stated the NY Times had a left-leaning/liberal bias. I couldn't find one instance where they thought the NY Times had a conservative bias. I belive people think a news source is objective because it has the same political leanings as the reader.
I wish every news outlet would report a political story that would give 2 min. to Democrats to tell their version and then let Republicans have 2 min. to tell their version. At least it would give you both sides. There is also bias in what news outlets chose to report. They are prioritizing what they think is news.
So it's not just a bias in how they report a story, it is also bias in what they chose to focus on, and what they chose to ignore.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Understanding bias - American Press Institute

Steve
Old 10-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I find it harder everyday to watch any news. I have lost my trust in most things they report. Is this just me?
I don't watch it anymore; got too ****ed off watching cop killers not getting the death penalty and cops getting vilified for doing their job.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I find it harder everyday to watch any news. I have lost my trust in most things they report. Is this just me?
Not just you. The mainstream media makes its biases known. It's not even subtle anymore.

They've totally lost their credibility .... and they lost millions of viewers. Luckily, we now have many other means of finding out what's really going on.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Smile Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Don Lemon is a journalist and a news anchor. I just Googled it.
Thanks, i needed a good laugh as this thread was starting to get serious.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:42 AM

They show you what they want you to see. That's the life. Media doesn't say truth all the time, some facts are distorted and it's normal. If you want to get news from reliable resources, just find them in the internet, that's advantage of 21st century!
Old 10-24-2019, 03:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Most peoples favorite news source, is the one that agrees with their own bias.

Some have mentioned the BBC as a news source.
Stll good coverage of events, but way (extremely) to the left these days with the reports.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:42 AM

Too many get "news" from social sites like Facebook, a huge source of fabricated stuff.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Most peoples favorite news source, is the one that agrees with their own bias.

Some have mentioned the BBC as a news source.
Stll good coverage of events, but way (extremely) to the left these days with the reports.
The bias rating sites I have looked at place BBC in the middle or having slight liberal bias and say it is minimal partisan bias. But if talking about fringe news, FOX is labeled being rated as hyper-partisan conservative. Of course, if a person doesn't like what the fact check sites say, that person would be inclined to say every one of the fact check sites is biased as well.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:01 AM
Gold member

The criminal political parasites thru their Mockingbird Media have been manipulating you your entire lives. You are only now starting to figure it out.

Google "Operation Mockingbird"...The CIA/Council on Foreign Relations own your mind and body.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
Not just you. The mainstream media makes its biases known. It's not even subtle anymore.

They've totally lost their credibility .... and they lost millions of viewers. Luckily, we now have many other means of finding out what's really going on.
Not challenging you, but would love to see n example of what you speak.

Keep hearing it, but very few if any credible examples.

Thanks, and again we are speaking of NEWS, not opinion pieces. I am assuming you are saying media sources distort facts or actual news, and perhaps I am naive, but do not see it in reupuable sources.
Closed Thread

Tags
news, things, trust, lost, report

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.