Which Do You Prefer: SideBySide, Freezer on Top, Freezer on Bottom

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
By the way, in another post I mentioned by old Kenmore side-by-side had the slot for the pizza. I just was at Lowe's in Leesburg and saw a Fridgidaire (spelling?) side-by-side that had the pizza slot. It is next to the ice maker. I don't know if any other brands have that feature and I don't know if the Kenmore brand does it any more or not. But if that is important to anyone there is at least one that does have that feature.

Anyone have opinions on the GE side-by-side. Have had these in the past and liked. But things change.

Had a sales guy tell me that ALL refrigerators are made to last only 3 to 5 years now. A few years back they last 10 years and he said the new ones only 3 to 5. That was scarey to know. Big purchase every half-a-decade.
Isn't that the truth! In 1972 we bought a Westinghouse 24 cubic foot fridge (freezer on top) and finally ditched it in 1990, by which time it was in the garage but still running like a champ.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Side by side from me. I prefer two small doors to one wide swinging heavy door.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Gold member

side by side, and heres why.....the freeze has shelves, easy to see what I have and get it out..

french...lower freezer reminds me of a deep freeze. food just piled up on top of each other...what do I have and where is it used to be a big issue for me.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 PM

We now have side by sides in both of our homes. I would much prefer not to have them. When we have company, and I am cooking ahead, I find I just don't have the space I once did in the refrigerator area.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Freezer on bottom. Used less often. A little harder to get food in and out as it is on top of other food. We have two pull out baskets in the freezer. Full width of ref. This helps with storing food.
French door top
Ice maker takes up a lot of room
Has water and ice dispenser built in.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Gold member

I have to vote for the side by side too with ice and water through the door. A friend of mine bought a house with the French Door style. He tried to use it for about a month, it now sits in the garage and he bought a side by side for the kitchen.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage

Don't buy a side by side. There's not width enough in the freezer for even a pie dish. I have a French door bottom freezer that I like more than any fridge I've ever owned. Yes, things get a little congested in the freezer, but it does have compartments and a slide out drawer s o you can organize stufff
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Looks like it all boils down to personal preference. Leaning toward going back to having a side-by-side, as that is what we have had the last 3 refrigerators. I have issues with bending over, so in the freezer I can put my stuff on top. With a french door I would have to bend. And in our house whatever I wanted would be on the bottom. Almost hate getting rid of our refrigerator knowing that they only make them to last 3-5 years now. Looked at a GE since we have had a couple of GE that we liked very much. We don't do party trays, so that isn't an issue for us. Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Freezer on the bottom.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Had them all, big NO for side by side, can't fit anything large in them, hated mine. This year we got a big french door with freezer on the bottom and water and ice in door and love it, will never have anything else. I love all the space I now have, never a problem fitting anything in it and shelves pull out and adjust.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Dancing Thyme

UGH!! I'm going through this dilemma right now and suffering over it. Had a SBS in Hadley house and it ran beautifully and was a good refrigerator. Had no problem with freezer side being too narrow but have always loved the french door concept with bottom freezer. However, with my newly acquired spinal stenosis, I don't think I'm going to like pulling out a heavy freezer drawer and having to bend down every time to see what's in it so I've been looking at the 2 drawer concept with french top but they are sooooo bloody expensive, can't see investing that much money only to have it last 5 years??? Think I'm leaning towards SBS again but will definitely do a study on the dimensions to make sure I don't get a more narrow freezer section than I had before. You have to be so careful and double check everything these days... Maybe its because we have toooo many options???

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Gold member

One thing that drives me nuts about side by side freezer is the number of times stuff comes tumbling out onto the floor when I am reaching for a package of meat or bag of veggies. Frozen foods just don't stack well, and sometimes I get an avalanche. That does not happen in the bins of a bottom freezer.
Closed Thread

Tags
freezer, bottom, top, sidebyside, prefer, comments, refrigerator

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.