Does anybody know how to prevent keyless entry remote hacking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Question Does anybody know how to prevent keyless entry remote hacking?

Today, someone attempted to hack our Accord’s Keyless Entry. (We are not back in TV yet so it did not happen there.)

Anyway, we were getting out of the car in a restaurant parking lot when Mr. Boomer could not lock the car. The remote was in his pocket. He had manually pushed the driver’s side lock, which is what we usually do. When it would not lock, he pushed down all 4 locks which seemed to work, but we never found out for sure because........

This all took place in less than minute, at which point, Mr. Boomer said, “Somebody is messing with us.” And so we immediately got back in the car and left.

That was when Mr. B explained to me what was going on. I had no idea that such a possibility existed. Turns out, there are devices available cheap that make it possible for bad guys to get into your car without breaking in.

I have never liked my keyless entry, even though I finally got used to NOT checking the door handle to see if the car was locked.

Had a thief been successful in getting into our car, a couple of Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons and my raincoat would have been it, but still — this is creepy.

Does anybody out there in TOTVland know of a way to prevent a keyless entry from being hacked?
Old 11-12-2017, 05:11 PM

From what I have read, most of the hackers equipment can only read the code for the door, some of the hackers with more sofistcated equipment allows them to get the ignition code too.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I did a search on hacking car keyless entry and found these recommendations:
FobGuard(R) security pouch: Faraday Cage for Car Keyless Entry Fobs
Key Fob Guard | Key Fob Protector | RFID Key Fob - Silent Pocket

Old 11-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Onstar shut down my account while my car was at the airport due to possible illegal entry. Phone call followed from onstar that until I returned to my car remote access would be denied.

There was good and bad, good I still had a car at the airport, bad it was 8 degrees with 6 inches of snow and could not remote start my car, at 11pm. Soon as I started my car onstar called the car asked for security questions, where I had traveled from, if I got them wrong they were shutting down the car and alerting local sheriff. So it can be hacked just don’t know how they did it
Old 11-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,250 Posts

Unfortunately, most auto manufacturers have NO idea of the security issues with vehicles. There have been way too many stories about vehicles being hacked. I am sure that there is no a fuse that would disable just the car door locks, but if there was that MIGHT be an option. I am GUESSING that the way the vehicle is designed (the main computer and software), there will be no way to turn off one function. Contact the dealer, and escalate if necessary to see if you can get an answer from the manufacturer, but I doubt you will get anywhere.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

If a system is ever developed that would positively prevent stolen cars, they will most likely be stolen at gunpoint while you're in it.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Soaring Parsley

It’s a classic example of unintended consequences and I think VT is probably right that the manufacturers are not there as far as dealing with it. My guess is that their idea of a fix will be to list an old-fashioned key as an expensive option. I have never liked my keyless entry. (I think I already said that.)

Later this afternoon when I was telling someone about this, she said a woman who was walking in the park left her purse in the car and it was gone when she got back, with no evidence of break-in. She thought she had locked her car.

(I will check into those pouches njbchbum found. Thank you, nj.)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-12-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
snipped
(I will check into those pouches njbchbum found. Thank you, nj.)
You're welcome! The prices sure seem reasonable!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,775 Times in 3,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Onstar shut down my account while my car was at the airport due to possible illegal entry. Phone call followed from onstar that until I returned to my car remote access would be denied.

There was good and bad, good I still had a car at the airport, bad it was 8 degrees with 6 inches of snow and could not remote start my car, at 11pm. Soon as I started my car onstar called the car asked for security questions, where I had traveled from, if I got them wrong they were shutting down the car and alerting local sheriff. So it can be hacked just don’t know how they did it
Great Idea. Now I have to remember my code.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Down in the Orlando area, they don't bother trying to open the door, they just smash the window if they see valuables inside. NEVER leave your purse or wallet in the car! No bags or wrapped gifts either, you're asking to get robbed! I always put anything I don't want to carry in the trunk, as least they can't be seen there.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Down in the Orlando area, they don't bother trying to open the door, they just smash the window if they see valuables inside. NEVER leave your purse or wallet in the car! No bags or wrapped gifts either, you're asking to get robbed! I always put anything I don't want to carry in the trunk, as least they can't be seen there.
You have given us is a good reminder that it is always smart to put valuables in the trunk.

But with my Honda's keyless entry, when the doors are unlocked, the trunk is unlocked, too. I assume all keyless entries work that way, but I do not know for sure.

(Did I say I have never liked my keyless entry. Well, now, I really hate my keyless entry. The damned thing came with the car I bought.)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,250 Posts

OP, One thought came to mind, my car has a menu option, and in there are various selections, you might get lucky and find one to turn off keyless entry. I could see the advantage, if the location where you placed you keys at night was close enough to unlock your car.....

Also, try using Google and your car model and the question about turning off keyless entry.

Tags
car, entry, keyless, lock, boomer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.