Does this sound legit?

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2023, 04:54 PM

Yes, its definitely a scam. I went through the exact same scenario a couple of months ago. I had a car for sale and the interested party said they wanted the car for my asking price. They also said they would include the shipping cost for a mover to pick up the car and bring it to them in Ohio. He sent me a cashier's check from Deutsche Bank for two thousand dollars more than my asking price. He then instructed me to deposit the check and let him know when the check clears so that he could arrange for the movers to pick up the car. He said that when the movers arrive to pick up the car i would need to pay the movers at that time with the extra $2,000.00 he included. I told him to just grab a cheap one-way flight from Ohio to Orlando and he could pick the car up himself and drive it back. Get to know the car. He said no, his work schedule would not allow that.

He sent the cashier check via FedEx and I deposited it. The bank didn't put a hold on it. But I was getting suspicious of this whole deal. I went by the bank the next day and asked if the check had cleared yet. The lady at the bank asked why I was asking. I told her the story and she immediately called it scam. She then put me in touch with the bank fraud department and they pulled the check. I then called the scammer and said "the gig is up bubba, this whole deal is fraudulent and I gave the bank your phone number. Hope they come knocking" Then I hung up. Lesson learned on my part, I won't do that again.

I was almost out the car and an extra $2,000.00. Me being Mr. Naive thought the guy really wanted my car and didn't have time to pick it up himself. Glad my sixth sense kicked in.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:56 PM

Total scam.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
This TV land. Paranoia capital of the USA.

People are worried about getting scammed on FaceBook for $25, but justify paying $150,000 for their $60,000 pool or brag about their 30% Tips to the "hard working servers" at restaurants.
Tipping someone is getting scammed?

Equating that to thousands of $$$ on a car purchase scam is laughable...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-05-2023, 08:13 PM
Default Scam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Is there any possibility that this could be a scam?
Their response has all the markings of a scam. Don't even response to their email.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:49 PM
Default Selling car

I recently sold my car on AutoTrader and got more than I thought I would. The buyer brought sight unseen and had the car shipped to NY. I thought it screamed of scam, but the money went to Aoto Trader and only into my account when I released the car to him. Would do that again!!
Old 12-06-2023, 06:36 PM

Of course it's a scam. Ask yourself, why would someone buy a used car sight unseen and pay extra to have someone come get it. Would you have done that?
I have sold many used cars in my day and as recently as last month. If the buyer does not want to meet with me, check out the vehicle, bring cash, then I will not talk to them.

As a side note, I hate it when people respond to a listing online and their first question is, what is my bottom line. I has no interest in negotiating with someone who has not even seen the item i'm selling.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblu View Post
What year, make, model & mileage ? I know someone whose looking
I sold the car!
Old 12-07-2023, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1959 View Post
What kind of car are you selling ? And how much ? Better yet can you send me the URL from your post ? I’ve been looking for a used car for awhile now …
I'm sorry. I sold the car.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Is there any possibility that this could be a scam?
Sounds shady. IF someone gave me that offer, I would only agree to meet at their bank and have that person give me a check or cash from that bank. Bet the person will not agree to that.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:53 AM
Default Save some headaches - go to carman

Save some headaches and go to a dealer or CarMax and sell your car out right. I've used CarMax twice and been pleased with the transaction. May not be the best price but no hassle. You walk in with the car. They look it over and offer a price. If you like the price, walk out with a check. Easy!
Old 12-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbrafford View Post
Save some headaches and go to a dealer or CarMax and sell your car out right. I've used CarMax twice and been pleased with the transaction. May not be the best price but no hassle. You walk in with the car. They look it over and offer a price. If you like the price, walk out with a check. Easy!
I once sold a car to Carmax. They gave me a written quote that was good for 7 days. It was more than I expected. I would never try to sell a car to a regular new car dealership.
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, check, interested, vehicle, cash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.