Does this sound legit?

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2023, 03:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts
Default Does this sound legit?

I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Is there any possibility that this could be a scam?
Old 12-03-2023, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

It is definitely a scam. The certified check will be counterfeit, but you will not know it until several weeks after you have deposited it into your bank account. Your bank will deposit the money into your account but they will remove the money when they find out that it is counterfeit. You will assume that the check has "cleared" but it has not.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
it is definitely a scam. The certified check will be counterfeit, but you will not know it until several weeks after you have deposited it into your bank account. Your bank will deposit the money into your account but they will remove the money when they find out that it is counterfeit. You will assume that the check has "cleared" but it has not.
thank you!!!
Old 12-03-2023, 03:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Yes.

Use a 3rd party Escrow company to handle the transaction if there's a lot of money involved.

Best Ways To Exchange Funds in a Car Sale - Kelley Blue Book
Old 12-03-2023, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Yes.

Use a 3rd party Escrow company to handle the transaction if there's a lot of money involved.

Best Ways To Exchange Funds in a Car Sale - Kelley Blue Book
I don't agree with the KBB section on certified checks, unless the check is issued by a local bank. As I understand it, the typical scammer uses a counterfeit certified check with an out-of-town bank, or a bank that doesn't even exist. Your bank will credit your account, but when they discover that the check is counterfeit, they will debit your account and you will lose your money.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Is there ANY possibility it is NOT a Scam?

Old 12-03-2023, 04:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Is there ANY possibility it is NOT a Scam?

Why can it not be legit?

Payment with a Certified Check is usually very easy to confirm and much different than payment with a "Bank Check". If you'll note the OP's original post, he's not using clear language for what he's been promised.

Depending on what bank issued the check, some "bank checks" are easy to confirm.

There isn't always a boogey man.

Last edited by BrianL99; 12-03-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Why can it not be legit?

Payment with a Certified Check is usually very easy to confirm and much different than payment with a "Bank Check". If you'll note the OP's original post, he's not using a clear language for what he's been promised.

Depending on what bank issued the check, some "bank checks" are easy to confirm.

I'll bet you a dollar that it is a scam.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'll bet you a dollar that it is a scam.
Agree to the buyers terms but tell him/her you will not surrender the car until the check has cleared. If it is a scam, they will move on. Not a scam? Congratulations, You sold your car! Please keep us informed of the result.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Why can it not be legit?

Payment with a Certified Check is usually very easy to confirm and much different than payment with a "Bank Check". If you'll note the OP's original post, he's not using clear language for what he's been promised.

This is a well known scam... To sweeten the pot, the scammer will then write a check for MORE than the asking price, telling you to keep some of the money and return the rest "for the inconvenience"... Once they have that money, they disappear...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-03-2023, 07:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

The old “work schedule “ scam. You can meet on the weekend, and have your buyer bring cash.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Agree to the buyers terms but tell him/her you will not surrender the car until the check has cleared. If it is a scam, they will move on. Not a scam? Congratulations, You sold your car! Please keep us informed of the result.
The key word here is "cleared". Your bank will never clear a check until they have received the money from the bank that issued the check. If the check is counterfeit, that will never happen.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
NO!!!! Do not continue correspondence with the scammer. They will go away when they realize that they did not get you to bite.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,160 Times in 2,252 Posts

OP, send a reply back that you will use Vemo, Paypal, or another service THAT YOUR BANK USES. When payment is verified, then and only then will you meet them to transfer the title in person.
I will bet you will never hear from them again.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
The key word here is "cleared". Your bank will never clear a check until they have received the money from the bank that issued the check. If the check is counterfeit, that will never happen.
Just to let everyone know, I sent a message back to the "buyer" and said "You can pick up the car when the check clears YOUR bank." I also told them I needed to check with my bank to make sure there weren't any issues.

Shocking, I have not heard back from them!

I knew it smelled like a scam, but the "certified check" comment threw me. I posted here because I knew people would give me good advice! I did plan to go to my bank tomorrow and also ask them about it.

Thanks everyone!
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, check, interested, vehicle, cash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.