Does this sound legit?

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2023, 05:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Is there any possibility that this could be a scam?
You should give the contract information to the police or Crimes against seniors
Old 12-05-2023, 05:41 AM

100% Scam.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I am trying to sell a car. I've posted on a few sites. I have an interested person who contacted me via email. They said they are interested and would like to purchase but will not be able to come and see the vehicle and pay cash due to their work schedule, They will pay with a certified bank check and have movers pick it up after the check clears my account.

Tell them you will accept a wire transfer from the bank instead.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
I would bet $1000.00 that it is a scam!!
I'm too cheap to bet that much.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:12 AM

Scam run

Quote:

Old 12-05-2023, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

The MAJOR variety of scam cancel any contact with it
Old 12-05-2023, 06:22 AM

What year, make, model & mileage ? I know someone whose looking
Old 12-05-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:

This may be off point, but I just sold my p/u truck to Carvana (shopped all the online services; they had the best offer…~$700 more; all competitive) and they gave me about $800 less than retail—$15000 for a 2017 Nissan. Didn’t take 48 hours; no hassles; no dealing with public; no listings on sites and YOU KNOW THEIR CHECK IS GOOD. Just a thought.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Yes I think it is a scam for sure. I posted an E bike for sale in classifieds a few days ago & received an extremely suspect message. First of all the person exhibited poor use of English. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that in itself.). Then the person said several times: “LOL” for no apparent reason. Seemed odd the use of that particular phrase, like trying to impress the seller with American usage of slang. Use of punctuation was way off. As we got further into the posting the person asks if I’m. “Really real”. Then immediately says : for me not to worry because he had me checked out. Anyway I became suspicious due to the myriad of mistakes & oddities so I quit replying.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:11 AM

These are scams! went thru with a transaction like this years ago because I wanted proof. I got the certified check in the mail. I called the bank/credit union which existed and asked them if it was legit. It wasn’t. I sent the check to the FBI and I told the buyer I was doing the same.
Do not go thru with this.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:16 AM
Default Why can’t it be real ? Really ?

I have been through this b.s. myself. Who buys a car from a private sale without seeing it ?
Who is just gonna send a “friend or relative “to get the car because they are too busy ?
Don’t walk away from that deal….RUN
Old 12-05-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:

DEFINATELY. Seen this several times
Old 12-05-2023, 07:34 AM
Default Safe Payment

I listen to an auto dealership podcast that made me aware of the best way to sell a vehicle safely.

If you do find a legit buyer, this is a safe way to confirm that the money is in your account before releasing it.

Sell Your Used Car Privately | PrivateAuto
Old 12-05-2023, 07:42 AM
Default Scam!

Quote:

This exact response happened to me, but in another State. I was selling something on Facebook Marketplace. Do not fall for this!
Old 12-05-2023, 07:46 AM

Chances that someone is buying the vehicle sight unseen are very very slim.
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, check, interested, vehicle, cash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.