Downtown parking garage to begin construction in january

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2023, 06:25 AM

What a waste of money. Not sure which is worse: this parking garage or the sidewalk along hwy 44 that nobody will ever use.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGraves View Post
It is a beautiful plan, but no economical analysis of the financial/commercial viability.

Consultants like that interview the decision makers and feedback what they hear rather than what makes economic sense.

The first seven years calls for redevelopment of the shopping center, which today has plenty of unused parking. And building a parking garage?

Plus a cart path connecting to the Villages...
Old 12-02-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Well they did. $6.6 million for 126 spots, $52,000 per parking spot.

Most of which likely will be used by city hall employees, not customer's. But probably enough left over for Miz Kathi's Cotillion Southern Café...
Hopefully they will put a time limit of 2-3hrs to prevent abuse by city employees
Old 12-02-2023, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
And just when I thought people ran out of things to complain about
I thought the same thing. What difference does it make to the OP? I think it's s smart plan, give the construction people a place to park.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:09 AM

Entry from the side and rear will eliminate this hazard. My wish, as a retired Architect and resident, would be that the design replicate the beautiful brickwork they demolished!
Old 12-02-2023, 09:26 AM
Default Downtown Parking Garage in Wildwood

In the pictures of the renovated Wildwood, I still see 301 running right through it. I thought 301 was going to be rerouted so it wouldn’t go right through the center of the new Wildwood.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
So this is what we are getting for our tax money for those of us that pay Wildwood City taxes.

More to come after the parking garage, only the begainning. Wildwood will be the new Disney?
Old 12-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egandi View Post
In the pictures of the renovated Wildwood, I still see 301 running right through it. I thought 301 was going to be rerouted so it wouldn’t go right through the center of the new Wildwood.
You know what happen when bypass done. 99.0% bypass. This happen in my hometown. Was major route north till interstate highway system re-routed traffic. When from thriving community with 4 gas stations, 3 grocery stores, movie theater, car dealership, to two gas station and one grocery store. Otherwise, dying ghost town if wasn’t for farming community.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 12-02-2023 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Goats to ghost
Old 12-02-2023, 10:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egandi View Post
301 is being rerouted to bypass Coleman.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Where are you proposing these surface parking lots be located along 301? There is no space next to these businesses that isn't already a parking area. Definitely no way to park in front of them either.

I do see some problems with ingress and egress from the proposed parking garage, 301 can get pretty heavy with traffic.
Any idea what/which businesses will benefit from this parking garage?
Old 12-02-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Any idea what/which businesses will benefit from this parking garage?
It certainly will NOT benefit any villages businesses.
Even though most Wildwood tax revenue comes from the villages.

If they are trying to attract shoppers from the villages, I think it's a safe bet that nearly all would never walk very far from their car to get to a store. So only businesses within 1 block maximum.
If that's 25 small stores, $12mm cost divided by 25 = $480,000 per store. Such a marvelous use of taxes.

Instead of a parking ramp.... Buy various properties along 301. Demolish and put in a paved parking lot for 30 cars. Cost estimated $300k each.
For $12mm they can make 40 of those. Or 1,200 parking spots. Scattered where businesses need them.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Where else would they start a downtown "renovation" project by building a parking garage?

DOWNTOWN PARKING GARAGE TO BEGIN
CONSTRUCTION IN JANUARY

Construction of Wildwood's new parking garage at the corner of US 301/Main St. and Oxford St. is scheduled to begin in early January. The surface lot on
that site will close as soon as Jan. 2, 2024.

A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Jan. 8 at 11:00 a.m. and is open to the public. All are invited. The multistory structure will house approximately 125 vehicle spaces, providing much-needed parking for existing and future downtown businesses.

Current construction schedules estimate a Fall 2024 opening, subject to change based on supply chain, weather,
and other potential delays.
The first significant construction project of the city's downtown master plan, adopted in November 2021, the parking garage is one component of a public- private partnership between the City of Wildwood and G3 Development.

That partnership also includes construction of approximately 8,000 square feet of new, leasable commercial space expected to be filled by one or more dining and entertainment businesses. The commercial building, which will be built, owned, and operated by G3 Development, is expected to begin construction in mid-2024 and open in early 2025.

The downtown master planning process involved participation and input from both residents and local businesses through surveys, interviews, a workshop, virtual open house, and presentations. During that process, participants were asked to identify and prioritize community needs and wants. Downtown redevelopment and revitalization quickly emerged as the top issue community members wanted the city to address. "Nothing happens quickly in government" said City Manager Jason McHugh. "There are checks and balances built into every step of the process to ensure fair and judicial use of taxpayer resources, which is vital but takes time." "Then the pandemic threw a big wrench into the mix," he added. "But we are now firmly on our way to implementing the vision laid out by our community, and Wildwood's future is brighter than it has ever been."
It's called infrastructure. Should always come first.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huge-pigeons View Post
What a waste of money. Not sure which is worse: this parking garage or the sidewalk along hwy 44 that nobody will ever use.
The sidewalk along 44 was paid for with State money, not County money...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-02-2023, 09:41 PM
Default Parking Garage

… and do you really think you will park for free???
Parking garages are costly to maintain.

…been in the parking industry for over 30 years. I know 😉
Old 12-03-2023, 05:48 AM
Default Wasted Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The sidewalk along 44 was paid for with State money, not County money...
We saw that sidewalk. Yes, the parking garage is just like it, a waste of resources. Thankfully we don’t pay Wildwood taxes. $52,380.95 per parking space seems a little pricey to me. You could build homes for the poor and destitute for less?

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA

Last edited by DrMack; 12-03-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
construction, parking, downtown, garage, begin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.