Dumbest car feature ever designed

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I did all the investigation that you did. It appears that jumping that switch or putting a plug in the trailer hitch disabled the on/off problem but for me, I don't like either fix. That is terrible. The switch is a backyard mechanic trick and the trailer plug makes you give up your backup camera in 2017? This is not 1817, Ford should be ashamed of themselves. I wonder if the can reprogram the computer at the dealer or if Advanced Auto Parts can disable something for you. I even found your Owners Manual and it didn't give the answer you want. Just terrible. Wish I could do more. I had a 2015 Flex and 2015 Escape with no problems seems to be confined to 2017.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If I bought the car new and found this out as I was leaving the Dealership they would be getting the car back without a doubt. Please let us know how you make out if you go the dealership route. Sorry I couldn't help you more.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
As far as I know, there is no program fix, but please let me know if there is one.
Generally to reprogram the ECU requires going into it via the diagnostic socket. Even with one of these tools there typically isn't any straightforward to to do anything.

Using one of these tools might void warranty. Also, maybe more important, if you don't do the hacking just right you can actually break something in the car. Engine tuners use these kinds of tools to increase engine horse power without making mechanical changes to the engine. Prices are all over the place but here is one:

Automotive Reprogramming & Diagnostic Scan Tool for All Makes and Models.

Here is a reasonably easy hardware fix for Fords.

Autostop Eliminator - The only no-compromise solution.

Auto Start Stop Sucks! Fixing the Annoying feature EVERY Ford F150 Owner HATES!! - YouTube
Old 03-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
If I bought the car new and found this out as I was leaving the Dealership they would be getting the car back without a doubt.
When you buy your next new car it will almost certainly have this feature so why not save yourself a trip and stick to your current car

Seriously though it will be on the next new car you buy. For sure the dealer will not have a "standard" way to turn it off but some dealers may be willing to hack it off for you and others won't. Check to see of your dealer is willing to do this for you as part of the sale. In any case secondary market products are coming out of the woodwork to to undo this feature.

Also the time for the restart is barely noticeable but it makes no real difference in how long it takes to get rolling off from a light unless maybe you're are drag racing...

Some say it will wear out your starter sooner than it should. I'm not so sure that is true. This feature has been available on some trucks for at least ten years and I don't think there is any evidence it actually degrades starters.

Last edited by Dan9871; 03-18-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Electric cars coming soon. Problem solved. But in the meantime I still forget to turn the feature off when I start the car. Four months now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
I have a 2017 Ford Escape. Whenever I start the vehicle, I need to remember to push a button on the dashboard that turns off the automatic engine shutdown feature. When I forget to push the button, the engine will shut off every time I stop the vehicle at a red light or stop sign. I guess this is supposed to save gas, but I hate the feature and will never buy another car that has it. Does anyone else have this feature and do you like it? Is there any plan to eliminate it on future vehicles?
That is why I didn't buy a Volvo suv several years ago. Each time you started the car you had to reprogram start/stop not to come on. Some cars just have too much control.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I used to have a car that conked out every time it stopped. I just used the hand break to stop, dipped clutch, revved the engine like mad, and that I found solved the problem!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I always thought that starting a car took more energy than idling it for 2 minutes. If you have to start it up every time you're at a stop light or even a stop sign, it seems to me you'd be burning a LOT more gas than if you just idled til it was time to go again.
And manufacturing and disposing of batteries does more harm to the environment than do gas vehicles. But facts never got in the way of politicians trying to please constituents or backers
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM

I'm just glad that my heart doesn't quit each time I stop moving.. that would be... uh... not good...
Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Like I said, I have had 3 cars with the feature. My question is "What is wrong with having the engine stop when you're stopped?" As soon as you let up pressure on the brake it starts. By the time your foot gets to the gas pedal, it's ready to go. So what is the problem? On my cars if it's real hot out and the air is working real hard, the vehicle starts itself much sooner.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Like I said, I have had 3 cars with the feature. My question is "What is wrong with having the engine stop when you're stopped?" As soon as you let up pressure on the brake it starts. By the time your foot gets to the gas pedal, it's ready to go. So what is the problem? On my cars if it's real hot out and the air is working real hard, the vehicle starts itself much sooner.
Well, I hate the hesitation that I feel when I step on the gas, so I have gotten into the habit of turning off the feature every time I start the car. I'm not the only one who hates this feature. Just google it and you will find many complaints from others.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I don't have any problem with it either. But lots and lots of people just hate it... big time.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I have a 2017 Ford Escape. Whenever I start the vehicle, I need to remember to push a button on the dashboard that turns off the automatic engine shutdown feature. When I forget to push the button, the engine will shut off every time I stop the vehicle at a red light or stop sign. I guess this is supposed to save gas, but I hate the feature and will never buy another car that has it. Does anyone else have this feature and do you like it? Is there any plan to eliminate it on future vehicles?
And as we try and reduce the use of fossil fuels we will have more devices like this and higher costs that go with them.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
And as we try and reduce the use of fossil fuels we will have more devices like this and higher costs that go with them.
I agree, but I think this particular feature is doomed, especially as a mandatory feature on cars.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

As I understand what I read the feature adds only about 4 - 5% to estimated mileage. If the feature is nonlatching so that if it is switched off it will automatically turn on again after the engine is manually shut down and later restarted, the EPA rates the vehicle's mileage as if the autostop is always used which results in higher estimated mileage than if the device is latching as the EPA rates those systems as only being used part of the time. The manufacturers may benefit from higher mileage ratings by installing nonlatching devices.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
feature, button, push, stop, engine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.