EBOLA - So, do we really have nothing to worry about?

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=tuccillo;951997]It is hard to get. It dies quickly outside the body. You need a fluid exchange. We can disagree on the definition of "hard to get" but you need direct contact with an infected person and they not contagious until symptoms develop. It could be much easier to be infected.

The virus has survived for at least 21 days outside the body
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=cologal;952517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
It is hard to get. It dies quickly outside the body. You need a fluid exchange. We can disagree on the definition of "hard to get" but you need direct contact with an infected person and they not contagious until symptoms develop. It could be much easier to be infected.

The virus has survived for at least 21 days outside the body

The newest evidence is that it can be spread by small aerosol particles. Coughs, Sneezes, spit, etc this is not a good sign.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I'm sorry but as a former Heathcare provider there is plenty to worry about. The basis of infection control is avoidance. Avoidance consists, among other things, of keeping a potentially infected population out of our country, while also making sure we are using appropriate protection in the event someone here develops symptoms. What our "leaders" and CDC are doing is practicing political correctness.

The CDC is behind the curve already and our hospitals, with a few exceptions are not prepared.

I'm recently retired but my friends still in the business suggest we could be in deep trouble.
I to am a recently retired healthcare professional and I agree as this first case has already shown. We haven't had a disease requiring this level of protective equipment. To me that is the problem.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:01 PM
Platinum member

Let's see. Aids started in Africa, Ebola started in Africa. How many millions have died of Aids. I am scared
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Let's see. Aids started in Africa, Ebola started in Africa. How many millions have died of Aids. I am scared
Patient Zero for AIDS was a Canadian Flight Attendant....
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
5 people on a plane that landed in Boston exhibiting possible symptoms of Ebola. So now what do we do with the 5 and do the other passengers have to live on the plane for the next 21 days in case they also exhibit symptoms?

Also I'm curious - if I present myself to the ER with symptoms described as Ebola and state I have just returned from Africa does everyone go run and put on a hazmat suit and do they immediately begin disinfecting the ER where I have been sitting? Oh, and did I mention I felt too ill to drive myself so I took the bus or called a cab. And yes I did cough and spit during that transportation. Too many bizarre possibilities how this
can spread so isn't a no brainer to contain it in the country it is?
False alarm... People from Middle East not West Africa.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologal View Post
I to am a recently retired healthcare professional and I agree as this first case has already shown. We haven't had a disease requiring this level of protective equipment. To me that is the problem.
This R.N. agrees with you!! What perplexes me about the entire Duncan case is that the only treatment for Ebola is supportive which includes oxygen to support the respiratory system, fluids and electrolytes to prevent dehydration, early anticoagulant therapy to prevent DIC, late procoagulant therapy to combat hemorrhage, and antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial and fungal infections. If a patient does not show early response to early treatment and then begin to deteoriate with the predictable outcome death, why on earth was Duncan invasively intubated and put on a vent, given hemodialysis, probably had an A-line, numerous IVs, a foley catheter, NG tube, etc, etc. ; more opportunities for fatally infectious body fluids to exit the body and infect another. I really wonder if these heroic measures were done to compensate for initially sending Duncan home the first go around, or were they trying to keep him alive to buy time in the hopes of getting some experimental drug or serum from Ebola survivor Dr. Brantly to adminster to him.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
This R.N. agrees with you!! What perplexes me about the entire Duncan case is that the only treatment for Ebola is supportive which includes oxygen to support the respiratory system, fluids and electrolytes to prevent dehydration, early anticoagulant therapy to prevent DIC, late procoagulant therapy to combat hemorrhage, and antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial and fungal infections. If a patient does not show early response to early treatment and then begin to deteoriate with the predictable outcome death, why on earth was Duncan invasively intubated and put on a vent, given hemodialysis, probably had an A-line, numerous IVs, a foley catheter, NG tube, etc, etc. ; more opportunities for fatally infectious body fluids to exit the body and infect another. I really wonder if these heroic measures were done to compensate for initially sending Duncan home the first go around, or were they trying to keep him alive to buy time in the hopes of getting some experimental drug or serum from Ebola survivor Dr. Brantly to adminster to him.
Before any ebola patient in Dallas, the malpractice lawyers are always readily available regardless of ability to pay for lawyering, to sue the pants off any hospital or medical provider. Facts like nobody having a grip on Ebola yet do not matter to plaintiffs looking for money and the lawyers who empower them.

And then there are the Race Hustlers, who incite non-thinking people into screaming racism on every single malady that occurs to them, because there is money to be gotten from those claims, and in the always-brewing "Reparations" we supposedly owe the present-day "victims".
"The family of Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to die of Ebola on U.S. soil, joined the Rev. Jesse Jackson at his Rainbow Push headquarters to call foul on the treatment Mr. Duncan received.

They say the treatment Duncan received was at best ‘incompetent’ and at worst ‘racially motivated.’

Duncan passed away last week, but his mom and nephew spoke out at Rainbow Push’s weekly gathering today.

The family is asking why Duncan wasn’t moved to Emory University Hospital, where Dr. Kent Brantly and Dr. Nancy Writebol received life saving treatment for Ebola.

Duncan’s nephew now wants all of his uncle’s medical records, where he will have them reviewed by independent doctors and contagious disease experts.

However, doctors at Texas Presbyterian Hospital, where Duncan was treated, say their staff was ‘well-equipped’ to handle his case.

The whole ordeal has left Duncan’s mother heartbroken.

Family members say they are considering some form of legal action against the hospital where Duncan received treatment……"
Family of Thomas Eric Duncan says his death from Ebola is ‘racially motivated’ | WGN-TV
Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=murray607;95

I can't help but think back to the SARS epidemic, when it was initially announced that health authorities were on top of things and that there was little to worry about and then it progressed and we had increasing numbers of deaths including healthcare workers.[/QUOTE]

Just looked this up. Only eight people in the US got it and none died.
Over 8,000 got it globally.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Just looked this up. Only eight people in the US got it and none died.
Over 8,000 got it globally.
Comparing a disease that ended and had 9% of infected people die, with Ebola expanding exponentially and killing around 90% of infected people, pooh-poohs the worst epidemic in modern times---the ebola virus that world epidemiology experts are predicting will infect 10,000 victims per week by December……the virus that infected a bright young critical care nurse carefully using full-body hazmat gear as trained, and how it happened is still undetermined.

(Not that the cause being undetermined would stop Washington and CDC leaders from placing the blame on the nurse--who had the guts and dedication to go into the front lines of the war zone as they are not doing.)
Old 10-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
……the virus that infected a bright young critical care nurse carefully using full-body hazmat gear as trained, and how it happened is still undetermined.

(Not that the cause being undetermined would stop Washington and CDC leaders from placing the blame on the nurse--who had the guts and dedication to go into the front lines of the war zone as they are not doing.)
Initial reports I read were that the hazmat suit was fine and the mistake occured when it was being removed. Mistake in protocol of removing the suit and it brushed against her face. Tragic but a preventible mistake.

As for Washington leaders not doing their part, what do you personally think should be done? Very possible you have an idea they in Washington have not thought of at this point.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
A seemingly minor mistake in removing the protective wear was a terrible mistake. Personally, I doubt if the healthcare workers in Africa have the highest level of protective gear to wear. They make do with what is available.

Ebola is not an airborne virus. It is bodily fluids that spread it.
I don't think anyone can say definitively it can't be spread via air. There is another strain, Ebola Zaire, that can be spread airborne
Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Before any ebola patient in Dallas, the malpractice lawyers are always readily available regardless of ability to pay for lawyering, to sue the pants off any hospital or medical provider. Facts like nobody having a grip on Ebola yet do not matter to plaintiffs looking for money and the lawyers who empower them.

And then there are the Race Hustlers, who incite non-thinking people into screaming racism on every single malady that occurs to them, because there is money to be gotten from those claims, and in the always-brewing "Reparations" we supposedly owe the present-day "victims".
"The family of Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to die of Ebola on U.S. soil, joined the Rev. Jesse Jackson at his Rainbow Push headquarters to call foul on the treatment Mr. Duncan received.

They say the treatment Duncan received was at best ‘incompetent’ and at worst ‘racially motivated.’

Duncan passed away last week, but his mom and nephew spoke out at Rainbow Push’s weekly gathering today.

The family is asking why Duncan wasn’t moved to Emory University Hospital, where Dr. Kent Brantly and Dr. Nancy Writebol received life saving treatment for Ebola.

Duncan’s nephew now wants all of his uncle’s medical records, where he will have them reviewed by independent doctors and contagious disease experts.

However, doctors at Texas Presbyterian Hospital, where Duncan was treated, say their staff was ‘well-equipped’ to handle his case.

The whole ordeal has left Duncan’s mother heartbroken.

Family members say they are considering some form of legal action against the hospital where Duncan received treatment……"
Family of Thomas Eric Duncan says his death from Ebola is ‘racially motivated’ | WGN-TV
Excellent post and spoken courageously without the PC so many others use at times
Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
As for Washington leaders not doing their part, what do you personally think should be done? Very possible you have an idea they in Washington have not thought of at this point.
Limit public travel coming into USA, from infected areas.
Like every other country is doing...
Old 10-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Limit public travel coming into USA, from infected areas.
Like every other country is doing...
Thank you nomosno - can't for the life of me understand what the hell is wrong with the current administration that doesn't see how this would easily contain the virus, protect the citizens of this country, and prevent all these crazy ideas of setting up specific ebola facilities in each state to the tune of God only knows how many billions of dollars.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.