Effect of reopening other countries - what can we learn?

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2020, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Effect of reopening other countries - what can we learn?

China, South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan have all reopened after a lockdown. I can't find much information about how that's working out. I would think we'd be focusing like a laser beam on their experience as it could be instructive for our country's outcome, but there's little information out there that I've been able to find on the internet. Maybe you guys found something.

I heard some ramblings a couple of weeks ago that the Wuhan area of China (only Wuhan) is seeing a resurgence, but nothing since then. In mid-March there were some reports that numbers were increasing again slightly in those other countries, but no alarms have sounded in any of those places, leading one to believe that their reopenings are sustainable.

Granted China and South Korea's self-isolation rules were very strict, much stricter than ours. That means they probably achieved their peak quicker than we will, but doesn't say much about the success or failure of reopening their economies, as far as I can tell. The consensus is to reopen after sustained decreases in new cases, whenever that is achieved.

If anyone has any insight about how those countries are doing and can post a source, it would be most appreciated.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Veteran member

"South Korea on Tuesday <4/21/20> reported nine new infections of the coronavirus and one more death, bringing its totals to 10,683 cases and 237 deaths." South Korea's population is 51.2 million.

On April 2, South Korea reported 101 new cases, down from a high of 909 infections in a single day in late February, according to the Al Arabiya News Agency.

If this model holds for the US, and let's hope it does, perhaps the risk of a second wave is being overstated after the lifting of restrictions.

South Korean baseball preseason underway in empty stadiums
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Open or not it’s not going to affect my habits. Yes. I would like for it to be back to normal, but that’s not going happen for long time if ever. When this present virus is contained there will be another and another. World is over populated just matter of time.
Closed Thread

Tags
china, countries, achieved, reopening, information

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.