Electic Vehicles poor performance in the cold weather

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2024, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,936 Posts
Default Electic Vehicles poor performance in the cold weather

Electric vehicles are losing their charge in the cold weather. They also have diminished performance in hot weather. Watching the news, these EVs look abysmal for cold weather climates.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Electric vehicles are losing their charge in the cold weather. They also have diminished performance in hot weather. Watching the news, these EVs look abysmal for cold weather climates.
I've seen the recent articles and they sound bad. But I noticed there seems to be only two articles that get reprinted over and over. Lazy reporting or not as much of a story as the press is making it out to be?

The three top users of EVs in Europe are Norway, Iceland, and Sweden - not particularly temperate climates. Maybe we, either individual owners or the country as a whole, are doing it wrong.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Not only losing their charge but not able to be charged because even the esteemed Tesla charging network couldn't get power.

Perhaps they need an ad like ASPA showing all the freezing animals that need only $19/month to save more freezing animals. Those poor freezing Teslas crowded around their defunct charging stations.

Looks like we need more global warming so the animals can live and EVs can survive.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts

Personally, I'm not planning on buying a solar powered snowcat
anytime soon.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Three kids all have one EV

one in St Paul, heated garage, because it’s ST Paul, EV no issues winter or summer, second car is a Benz.

One in MI heated garage, EV lives among the 4 Rovers, no issues winter or summer

One in Louisville, EV and a Beemer, share AC garage No issues using Ev winter or summer, but AC could extend batteries.

All drive less than 10 miles to work, but may return multiple times in 24 hour. EV traded in before batteries need replacement. But they are diehard EV users, and will replace with same.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Three kids all have one EV

one in St Paul, heated garage, because it’s ST Paul, EV no issues winter or summer, second car is a Benz.

One in MI heated garage, EV lives among the 4 Rovers, no issues winter or summer

One in Louisville, EV and a Beemer, share AC garage No issues using Ev winter or summer, but AC could extend batteries.

All drive less than 10 miles to work, but may return multiple times in 24 hour. EV traded in before batteries need replacement. But they are diehard EV users, and will replace with same.
Good news! Thanx!
Old 01-17-2024, 08:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,614 Times in 946 Posts

Not interested in supporting the slave labor Cobalt mining industry in the Congo to reduce carbon dioxide which is 0.04% of the earth’s atmosphere.

Soruce: Department of Energy
Carbon Dioxide 101 | netl.doe.gov
Old 01-17-2024, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,092 Times in 2,750 Posts

During cold weather the cars heater chews up the battery charge rapidly. Not a problem for those leaving their garage fully charged for a short commute, but major issues otherwise. Remembering all the EV’s that got stranded on I 95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond three winters ago when snow/ice shut down the highway overnight and keeping warm depleted the batteries.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
During cold weather the cars heater chews up the battery charge rapidly. Not a problem for those leaving their garage fully charged for a short commute, but major issues otherwise. Remembering all the EV’s that got stranded on I 95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond three winters ago when snow/ice shut down the highway overnight and keeping warm depleted the batteries.
Is there a source for that? The first four articles I found talked about the rumor about stranded EVs with depleted batteries but the reality that it had not happened. I still have not found an article that confirms the rumor.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-17-2024, 09:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,614 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Is there a source for that? The first four articles I found talked about the rumor about stranded EVs with depleted batteries but the reality that it had not happened. I still have not found an article that confirms the rumor.
Really, couldn’t find an article?

Tesla Drivers in Chicago Confront a Harsh Foe: Cold Weather - The New York Times

Why Teslas and other electric vehicles have problems in cold weather — and how EV owners can prevent issues - CBS News

Why EVs don’t go as far in the freezing cold | CNN Business

Your browser is not supported | usatoday.com
Old 01-17-2024, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
three kids all have one ev

one in st paul, heated garage, because it’s st paul, ev no issues winter or summer, second car is a benz.

One in mi heated garage, ev lives among the 4 rovers, no issues winter or summer

one in louisville, ev and a beemer, share ac garage no issues using ev winter or summer, but ac could extend batteries.

All drive less than 10 miles to work, but may return multiple times in 24 hour. Ev traded in before batteries need replacement. But they are diehard ev users, and will replace with same.
yawn
Old 01-17-2024, 09:41 PM
Sage

Which of those mention the EVs stranded on I95 after the Jan 2022 storm?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-17-2024, 10:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Which of those mention the EVs stranded on I95 after the Jan 2022 storm?
Why the need for ancient history data challenge? You certainly know that it happens just by reading the current news.

ie https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ns/ar-AA1n5nRs

It does happen and owners just have to be alert. Otherwise, you get to experience problems like those in Chicago.

Just like internal combustion engines, all have some limitations that users must consider. Fuel supply, availability, reliability. That goes for ICE or EV autos. The availability issue is more acute for EVs at this time due to limited availability sources. The problem is enhanced for EVs in frigid weather or power outages. You just have to allow for it, and consider alternatives.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:59 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

My permanent home is located squarely in the Lake Erie snowbelt. Our neighbor has two Teslas and never has a problem with cold weather AND both his EV's are parked & charged outside in their driveway, unprotected from the cold & snow right in the open. All you people who for whatever reason hate EV's & especially Tesla need to find something that is actually important to comment on. No one is being forced to buy an EV. You are still free to buy a gas or diesel powered vehicle.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,092 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
My source is my very reliable and trustworthy neighbor who was stuck in the middle of the whole fiasco and witnessed it first hand. That’s more than good enough for me, and way better than trusting the national media’s biased reporting (or lack there of).
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, cold, performance, vehicles, electic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.