Electic Vehicles poor performance in the cold weather

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2024, 12:29 AM
Veteran member

If they wrote a new article every time a new model of gas powered vehicle had bad issues, the newspaper would run out of room. Hilarious/sad that some people are so obsessed about cheering for EV to fail. I don't care either way but get tired of the same people trying to make a point based on a small sample size. There's 2.5 million active EV's in the US and this story is about a handful of them in a specific place. Seems more likely the charging stations need to be recalibrated than anything else.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I've seen the recent articles and they sound bad. But I noticed there seems to be only two articles that get reprinted over and over. Lazy reporting or not as much of a story as the press is making it out to be?

The three top users of EVs in Europe are Norway, Iceland, and Sweden - not particularly temperate climates. Maybe we, either individual owners or the country as a whole, are doing it wrong.

No, it’s bad.

Just a moment...

It was on national news also.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
If they wrote a new article every time a new model of gas powered vehicle had bad issues, the newspaper would run out of room. Hilarious/sad that some people are so obsessed about cheering for EV to fail. I don't care either way but get tired of the same people trying to make a point based on a small sample size. There's 2.5 million active EV's in the US and this story is about a handful of them in a specific place. Seems more likely the charging stations need to be recalibrated than anything else.

Go ahead drive take trip way up north. Try find charging stations in sub zero temps. By time you get charge and heat car up you’re not going very far before be looking for charger.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-18-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Personally, I'm not planning on buying a solar powered snowcat
anytime soon.
Just add wind generator. Give you extra 100 watts.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Three kids all have one EV

one in St Paul, heated garage, because it’s ST Paul, EV no issues winter or summer, second car is a Benz.

One in MI heated garage, EV lives among the 4 Rovers, no issues winter or summer

One in Louisville, EV and a Beemer, share AC garage No issues using Ev winter or summer, but AC could extend batteries.

All drive less than 10 miles to work, but may return multiple times in 24 hour. EV traded in before batteries need replacement. But they are diehard EV users, and will replace with same.

Cause they are setting in heated garage.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Good news! Thanx!
Good news setting in garage.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDaly View Post
yawn
Mine has 5 MBs and 5 EVs and Lear jet. All on there 5000 acres. And have summer home with yacht. But, that’s nothing compared to…..
Old 01-18-2024, 01:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Is there a source for that? The first four articles I found talked about the rumor about stranded EVs with depleted batteries but the reality that it had not happened. I still have not found an article that confirms the rumor.
What computer a commodore 128?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 01-18-2024 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

I have no problem with EVs. I'm considering getting one in golf cart form. They have advantages here: quiet, full "tank" every morning (assuming you remembered to plug it in), no annual tune-ups just to name three. But if I do it, I will do it because it makes sense FOR ME. I don't lie to myself about the huge favor I'm doing the environment by getting an electric golf cart. Whether I am or not is incidental to me.

But EVs, like everything else in this huge country of ours, is NOT one size fits all. Sure, a EV golf cart makes sense here. You're rarely more than 1 hour from home (unless you enjoy cruising from one end of TV to the other) and a stall or breakdown severe weather might mean an uncomfortable and sweaty hour or so wait for Cart Aid to show up. But this country is vast. A breakdown in TV in January is nothing like a January breakdown or running out of power in or around, say, Minot, ND: my son texted me from there about a week ago and they were experiencing 55 below zero windchill. You run out of power down here and you're frustrated, angry and impatient because help is taking its time in arriving. You run out of power up there, especially on the vast empty swaths of country so common up there and if you're not knowledgeable about how to handle severe cold; and unless someone shows up right quick, you're dead. If anyone reading this has experienced a 55 below windchill you know exactly what I mean. Also those mileage estimates are usually best-case. Severe cold can cause a significant (often drastic) decrease in mileage, but so can things like driving in mountains, air conditioning, excessive heater use, even speed: most folks probably don't think of that but driving at excessive speeds means that the electric motor in your EV is running less efficiently, thus cutting down on range.

Again, EVs make sense. For some people. In some situations. But they are NOT a panacea, nor are they anything even close to one size fits all.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Agree. I really don't get this obsession with dissing EV's. It's like these people feel sooo threatened. Maybe it's because it represents change, something different than what they grew up with and they hate change of any kind? Or is it because the gasoline industry pays for PR to stigmatize alternate energy sources and people choose to believe these pundits - unreliable sources that basically spew garbage? Or is it because some people somehow equate EV's with climate change, and again, disregarding science, they are climate change deniers? Whatever the reason, these people are haters and have an agenda. Good luck with that, EV's are here to stay, which shouldn't be a problem. You can still have your gasoline powered car, there is no reason the two can't co-exist. Enough already.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Agree. I really don't get this obsession with dissing EV's. It's like these people feel sooo threatened. Maybe it's because it represents change, something different than what they grew up with and they hate change of any kind? Or is it because the gasoline industry pays for PR to stigmatize alternate energy sources and people choose to believe these pundits - unreliable sources that basically spew garbage? Or is it because some people somehow equate EV's with climate change, and again, disregarding science, they are climate change deniers? Whatever the reason, these people are haters and have an agenda. Good luck with that, EV's are here to stay, which shouldn't be a problem. You can still have your gasoline powered car, there is no reason the two can't co-exist. Enough already.
No more new gas small engine sales in California 2024, no more new gas cars in California, and New York 2035. So you can see there is mandates that are eliminating our choices and making it harder for people to co-exist.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
No, it’s bad.

Just a moment...

It was on national news also.
Quote:
What for for computer commodore 128?
The two claims were the large number of recent reports of EV problems in Chicago and "Remembering all the EV’s that got stranded on I 95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond three winters ago when snow/ice shut down the highway overnight and keeping warm depleted the batteries. "

- I noted that while there were a large number of reports, including the link you provided, they all appear to be based on two unique reports. Rather than going out and finding the problem for themselves, most (all?) of the stories today are just regurgitating those two reports. So, as I asked in post #2: Lazy reporting or not as much of a story as the press is making it out to be?

- As for "all the EV's that got stranded," I still cannot find one article to support that assertion. There likely were EV's stuck in the traffic jam, right next to the ICE vehicles. There may have been EV's that ran out of charge, right next to the ICE vehicles that ran out of gas. There may have been abandoned EV's that needed to be towed, just as there were ICE vehicles that needed to be towed. But what I cannot find is any confirmation of "all the EV's that got stranded" due to "depleted batteries."

Do EVs get less mileage out of a charge in the cold weather? Yes. Do ICE vehicles run as well in the cold weather as they do in the warm weather? No, their gas mileage goes down too. Are EVs more impacted than ICE vehicles? Possibly, but I haven't seen any data to show one way or another.

Are there stories of EVs having problems getting a spot to charge in Chicago in the cold weather this month? Absolutely. Is it better to have an ICE vehicle in Chicago this month? It sort of looks that way based on only those two articles. But does anyone remember trying to get gas during the early part of COVID, during the pipeline issue in spring 2021, or during the last two hurricanes forecast for Florida? During those times it would have been much better to have an EV.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-18-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Cause they are setting in heated garage.
You realize people own cars to drive them. All three drive in the same conditions, work 12-24 hour shifts, and none have changing stations. As stated they also can make multiple trips within a few hours, almost always in the crap zero and below weather. Cars live outside of cozy garage much more than in. Soooooooooooo
Old 01-18-2024, 09:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDaly View Post
yawn
Sometimes you realize you have zero knowledge or any input so a four letter word is the best you can use. Great info. Maybe next time you can find a 4 letter word and add a 3 letter to make post more interesting
Old 01-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgreen3 View Post
No more new gas small engine sales in California 2024, no more new gas cars in California, and New York 2035. So you can see there is mandates that are eliminating our choices and making it harder for people to co-exist.
You will still be able to drive gasoline cars in California and NY. The law is that all NEW vehicle sales will be zero emission vehicles.
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, cold, performance, vehicles, electic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.