Electic Vehicles poor performance in the cold weather

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,517 Posts

EV haters??? Is that anything like calling someone a "racist" because they don't agree with you?
EVs predate the 1900's and have yet to compete with ICE vehicles. I say, yet. Great concept, but so far they are not quite ready for competition with ICE vehicles. Great novelty, though.
So far, almost everyone posting FOR EVs on here, has made excuses for the negatives still attached to the EVs. I think that the most significant negative related to owning an EV is fueling it. Compare that with fueling ICE vehicles. If you run out of fuel on the road with an ICE vehicle, a can of gas will likely get you to a gas station which will take five minutes to fill it up. An EV runs out of charge on the road, what do they do? When they do get to a charging station, how long must you sit in freezing or sweltering heat while it charges? If someone is at the charging station before you, how long does that delay your journey? How much does an EV cost vs. an ICE vehicle? How much does it cost to change out depleted batteries vs. the cost of changing out a worn out ICE motor?
EVs are fine for short commuting, and that is why small countries can brag about how great they are. Small countries also have a better mass transit system than the U.S. We are a large country and we have to think on a larger scale than most European countries. EV's have been around since the 1800's and still have a way to go before actually a viable option to replace the ICE.
But EV's are a really neat novelty. It's nice that the wealthy can afford the luxury. Proponents of the EV keep repeating the mantra that "no one is forcing you to purchase an EV." Maybe not now, but some states (as well as some folks in D.C.) are attempting to cut out production of ICE vehicles. Kind of like saying "no one is going to take away your guns" all while restrictions are put on gun ammo and banning lead projectiles in ammo. Before pushing ICE out and bringing EV's to prime time, someone needs to consider EV compatible infrastructure. Kind of like laying RR tracks down before selling tickets to travel by train.
Not an EV hater, just being pragmatic.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Agree. I really don't get this obsession with dissing EV's. It's like these people feel sooo threatened. Maybe it's because it represents change, something different than what they grew up with and they hate change of any kind? Or is it because the gasoline industry pays for PR to stigmatize alternate energy sources and people choose to believe these pundits - unreliable sources that basically spew garbage? Or is it because some people somehow equate EV's with climate change, and again, disregarding science, they are climate change deniers? Whatever the reason, these people are haters and have an agenda. Good luck with that, EV's are here to stay, which shouldn't be a problem. You can still have your gasoline powered car, there is no reason the two can't co-exist. Enough already.

Probably, at this point, because EV's cause more problems than they solve. People, with all different dynamics and situations in their lives, need a fully vetted EV plan to fully embrace the EV philosophy. No one has time or money for more missteps in this country.

Norway was lauded in an earlier post with it's number of EV's but that is not what it seems, apparently. Do an online search on why Norway, poster child for EV's is having second thoughts about EV's. It's not as simple as everyone running out and buying an EV.

I believe that in the long run it will be determined that EV's and what they require did far more harm to the environment than the combustion engine.

Fusion energy may be the answer with 2050 as the goal for automobile use. Seems like a long time away but 25 years pass quickly, ask any old person.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
The two claims were the large number of recent reports of EV problems in Chicago and "Remembering all the EV’s that got stranded on I 95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond three winters ago when snow/ice shut down the highway overnight and keeping warm depleted the batteries. "

- I noted that while there were a large number of reports, including the link you provided, they all appear to be based on two unique reports. Rather than going out and finding the problem for themselves, most (all?) of the stories today are just regurgitating those two reports. So, as I asked in post #2: Lazy reporting or not as much of a story as the press is making it out to be?

- As for "all the EV's that got stranded," I still cannot find one article to support that assertion. There likely were EV's stuck in the traffic jam, right next to the ICE vehicles. There may have been EV's that ran out of charge, right next to the ICE vehicles that ran out of gas. There may have been abandoned EV's that needed to be towed, just as there were ICE vehicles that needed to be towed. But what I cannot find is any confirmation of "all the EV's that got stranded" due to "depleted batteries."

Do EVs get less mileage out of a charge in the cold weather? Yes. Do ICE vehicles run as well in the cold weather as they do in the warm weather? No, their gas mileage goes down too. Are EVs more impacted than ICE vehicles? Possibly, but I haven't seen any data to show one way or another.

Are there stories of EVs having problems getting a spot to charge in Chicago in the cold weather this month? Absolutely. Is it better to have an ICE vehicle in Chicago this month? It sort of looks that way based on only those two articles. But does anyone remember trying to get gas during the early part of COVID, during the pipeline issue in spring 2021, or during the last two hurricanes forecast for Florida? During those times it would have been much better to have an EV.
Sure it better if only have go 10 or 15 miles with heater on and you don’t get hung up in traffic.

Guess what wind farm wind turbines do in sub zero weather? They don’t turn.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Probably, at this point, because EV's cause more problems than they solve. People, with all different dynamics and situations in their lives, need a fully vetted EV plan to fully embrace the EV philosophy. No one has time or money for more missteps in this country.

Norway was lauded in an earlier post with it's number of EV's but that is not what it seems, apparently. Do an online search on why Norway, poster child for EV's is having second thoughts about EV's. It's not as simple as everyone running out and buying an EV.

I believe that in the long run it will be determined that EV's and what they require did far more harm to the environment than the combustion engine.

Fusion energy may be the answer with 2050 as the goal for automobile use. Seems like a long time away but 25 years pass quickly, ask any old person.

EVs are still in model T phase hasn’t improved since 1900 just made more fancy. Now in 50 years they may have something? But, hydrogen will probably be the next break through and make ICE and EVs obsolete.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgreen3 View Post
No more new gas small engine sales in California 2024, no more new gas cars in California, and New York 2035. So you can see there is mandates that are eliminating our choices and making it harder for people to co-exist.
I wonder why people are moving out of Cala?
Old 01-18-2024, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,404 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Sure it better if only have go 10 or 15 miles with heater on and you don’t get hung up in traffic.
But many drive more than 10 or 15 miles and have the heater on and handle the traffic quite well. Two articles out of Chicago are worth paying attention to but there would be many more articles if the situation was truly that bad.

Quote:
Guess what wind farm wind turbines do in sub zero weather? They don’t turn.
Below are three articles saying there was no problem with the wind turbines in TX this year and another saying that lack of winterization (poor planning) was the problem in 2021. Guess what wind farm wind turbines sub zero weather: They produce electricity.
How Texas Kept the Lights On in the Recent Deep Freeze - The New York Times
How the Texas grid held strong amid freeze and fears of blackout
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ze/ar-AA1n7e4n
Why Did Wind Turbines Freeze in Texas When They Work in the Arctic?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-18-2024, 10:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Good news for EV lovers. Bargains available from Hertz.

Hertz is selling 20,000 used EVs due to high repair costs | Ars Technica
Old 01-18-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The two claims were the large number of recent reports of EV problems in Chicago and "Remembering all the EV’s that got stranded on I 95 between Fredericksburg and Richmond three winters ago when snow/ice shut down the highway overnight and keeping warm depleted the batteries. "

- I noted that while there were a large number of reports, including the link you provided, they all appear to be based on two unique reports. Rather than going out and finding the problem for themselves, most (all?) of the stories today are just regurgitating those two reports. So, as I asked in post #2: Lazy reporting or not as much of a story as the press is making it out to be?

- As for "all the EV's that got stranded," I still cannot find one article to support that assertion. There likely were EV's stuck in the traffic jam, right next to the ICE vehicles. There may have been EV's that ran out of charge, right next to the ICE vehicles that ran out of gas. There may have been abandoned EV's that needed to be towed, just as there were ICE vehicles that needed to be towed. But what I cannot find is any confirmation of "all the EV's that got stranded" due to "depleted batteries."

Do EVs get less mileage out of a charge in the cold weather? Yes. Do ICE vehicles run as well in the cold weather as they do in the warm weather? No, their gas mileage goes down too. Are EVs more impacted than ICE vehicles? Possibly, but I haven't seen any data to show one way or another.

Are there stories of EVs having problems getting a spot to charge in Chicago in the cold weather this month? Absolutely. Is it better to have an ICE vehicle in Chicago this month? It sort of looks that way based on only those two articles. But does anyone remember trying to get gas during the early part of COVID, during the pipeline issue in spring 2021, or during the last two hurricanes forecast for Florida? During those times it would have been much better to have an EV.
Here is an article on the January 2022 I95 storm issue.

Tesla Model 3 Owner Thankful For His EV When Stuck On I-95

Here is the authors blog of the same incident.

“I'''m Grateful That I Was Driving My EV When I Got Stuck On I-95” - ZETA
Old 01-18-2024, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

During the recent "deep freeze" I heard about a probable Chicago Area survey statistic: "95% of electric cars are still on the road. The remaining 5% made it home."
Old 01-18-2024, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
During the recent "deep freeze" I heard about a probable Chicago Area survey statistic: "95% of electric cars are still on the road. The remaining 5% made it home."
>>>>>>
Old 01-18-2024, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,092 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Here is an article on the January 2022 I95 storm issue.

Tesla Model 3 Owner Thankful For His EV When Stuck On I-95
]
From a publication titled InsideEV’s. Talk about a source with an agenda.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
But many drive more than 10 or 15 miles and have the heater on and handle the traffic quite well. Two articles out of Chicago are worth paying attention to but there would be many more articles if the situation was truly that bad.

Below are three articles saying there was no problem with the wind turbines in TX this year and another saying that lack of winterization (poor planning) was the problem in 2021. Guess what wind farm wind turbines sub zero weather: They produce electricity.
How Texas Kept the Lights On in the Recent Deep Freeze - The New York Times
How the Texas grid held strong amid freeze and fears of blackout
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ze/ar-AA1n7e4n
Why Did Wind Turbines Freeze in Texas When They Work in the Arctic?

If don’t get cold in Texas like it does in Wyoming.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,404 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
From a publication titled InsideEV’s. Talk about a source with an agenda.
The source is the actual owner of the EV who was sitting in the backup. The publication is an EV publication but where did you expect to find an article about an EV, Pickleball Weekly?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-18-2024, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Good news for EV lovers. Bargains available from Hertz.

Hertz is selling 20,000 used EVs due to high repair costs | Ars Technica

Pretty bad when hertz gives up on them. Maybe cause the were sending them out not charged up and customers had enough having to look for charger after few miles wasting hours waiting to get to there destinations.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
The source is the actual owner of the EV who was sitting in the backup. The publication is an EV publication but where did you expect to find an article about an EV, Pickleball Weekly?
So what saying they only talk bout the pros and not the cons?
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, cold, performance, vehicles, electic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.