Electric Vehicle nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2023, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,417 Times in 4,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
NO!

You install an outdoor outlet at your front door and purchase the best extension cord you can find, wrap it around the "reel" you mount to the front of your house. When you get home and park at the curb, you unroll the extension cord & plug in your car. (Make sure you unplug and rewind the cord, before your wife cuts the lawn).

Ready to go in the morning, provided the neighborhood brats didn't unplug it, in the middle of the night.
That "best extension cord" would be stolen within the first week...

Not to mention the lawsuit you'll have if and when someone trips over your extension cord as it crosses the sidewalk...

I await your solution for apartments...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
And the great thing about the supercharger network is that the Tesla computer in the car tells you exactly where to stop, how many spots are open, pictures and video cameras, how much juice you will have when you get there and for the next stop, restaurants nearby and how long to charge. And you guessed it, is says to charge to approximately 60% NOT 80. But hey, what do I know, I'm not an expert. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn.
That's great, IF you live in certain areas... You know, where they actually HAVE Tesla charging stations...

Remember the Ford CEO who took a long trip in one of his own EVs and was quite dismayed by the experience?

'It was a really good reality check': Ford's CEO admits EV charging was 'challenging' during F-150 Lightning road trip — here are 3 big long-distance issues electric drivers face

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,077 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That "best extension cord" would be stolen within the first week...

Not to mention the lawsuit you'll have if and when someone trips over your extension cord as it crosses the sidewalk...

I await your solution for apartments...
Read where England has big problem with plug in stations plug in cords being stolen for copper.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Read where England has big problem with plug in stations plug in cords being stolen for copper.
Happening on this side of the pond, as well...

EV Charging Cables Become New Theft Target - Kelley Blue Book

Copper thieves have new target: electric vehicle charging stations – KIRO 7 News Seattle

Caught on camera: Thieves now targeting one pricey electric car part – NBC Los Angeles

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,077 Times in 2,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I did NOT say that EVs are NOT ready for the majority of US citizens. Rather that the majority of our citizens are NOT ready to embrace EVs - and this is because people and corporations RESIST change. If people realized the environmental NEED for cleaner air and water, they would flock to EVs and accept some small inconveniences associated with them. And I never said the next sentence about benefits of ICE versus EVs. As I explained in post # 165 ICE vehicles have zero advantages over EVs today. In 1940 when there were only 80 million people in the US and factory pollution was rampant, the additional car and truck pollution was not significant. And people smoked cigars and cigarettes so their lungs were already shot.
.........But the times changed and factories moved to China, catalytic converters were mandated, and US population became 350 million people. With that many cars, trucks, golf carts, and small gas engines producing CO2 - it drifted upwards to the upper atmosphere and began reflecting HEAT, which keeps killing off plant and animal species. 2023 so far has been THE WARMEST in recorded History. China has a much larger population than the US and they are all starting to want automobiles. The graph of world population is practically straight up in recent years. Some famous old-time philosopher said that wars and pestilence keep the earth's population under control. Well, we had Covid which killed millions and now we have wars in the middle east that have the potential to kill that many and we have the nuclear bombs to do it with.

Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HggcfnHpo

Sure sounds like it.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:59 PM
Default 290.8 Million Tesla's

Quote:
Originally Posted by melpetezrinski View Post
Tesla is profitable!

I tried to stay out of this conversation because it's pointless to try and convince people that are not ready to hear the truth but I own TESLA stock, so I had to chime in and shut down more lies. TESLA IS PROFITABLE. Also, I laughed at so many posts about hours of charging time and long lines. I guarantee NONE of you have actually driven one and have first hand knowledge. You just regurgitate what the media spews. It only takes about 13 minutes to charge a TESLA from say 5% battery life to 60% battery life, which gives you another 180 miles. And guess what, EVERY supercharger station was 50-60% full, I never had to wait. I don't own an EV but I was forced to drive one from Pennsylvania to Florida when my father in law passed. This is how I know the facts of charging, NOT second hand nonsense. As for cleaner energy, probably not when all things are considered and if you are constantly on the road, you are better served with a ICE.
Your personal experience is all well and good. That doesn't change the fact that exchanging 290.8M IC vehicles for 290.8M EV's is, at best, a fantasy, or, more properly, a delusion.

As for personal experience, I've driven I 5 in California during both Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. The traffic jams at the Tesla Supercharger stations were almost as bad as the parking lots at Costco. Frustrated Tesla drivers were close to engaging in physical violence. I didn't stay around to count the minutes, but it had to take many Tesla drivers several hours to get a charge sufficient to get them back on the road.

When California experienced an electricity shortage, Governor Hairgel asked people to forgo charging their EV's, the same vehicles he is trying to force them to buy.
Old 12-06-2023, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HggcfnHpo

Sure sounds like it.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 12-06-2023, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,779 Posts

Sounds like EVs are for young people who don’t mind hitch hiking.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:10 PM

I am very later to this post and admit I only read the first few pages. I did a quick google search on the number of gas stations in Vermont and came up with over 4,000. This is why I would never own an EV until the range is at 400 miles and the charging stations equal gas stations

Why would I want to limit myself and make travel hard.

I know EV may be he future, and thank you to the pioneers, but I'll wait until it's an even trade before I jump in.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:22 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post

Governor Hairgel
Old 12-06-2023, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Key term "FUTURE." Like I said before and you admit, it ain't ready for prime time today.
I don't see where being faster to accelerate is deal breaker when going to purchase. But, I am not young anymore and "peeling wheels" is not in my to do list.

"Zero trips to the gas stations and gas lines"??? Are you serious? Twenty mins to charge to 80%? Two cars in front of you waiting to charge means you wait an hour (waste an hour) in your trip.

"Global health and longevity"?? I'm sure folks are concerned about living past 100, right?
"..roll over"??? Been driving for over 60 years and have yet to "roll over." But, if you are worried about rolling over, definitely get a heavier car.

"no transmission"??? Great and an ICE is a ton lighter because it doesn't have to cart around a bunch of batteries. ICE cars are still on the road that were created in the 50's. Think EVs will last that long? Shoot, the batteries are good for about 10 years and cost as much to replace as the cost of an ICE vehicle. Took a little exaggerated leeway on that part, but you get the idea.

So, when did you purchase your EV? Like I said before, I might live long enough to purchase an EV when they are as good as an ICE and as inexpensive to purchase. All I am asking is that I can drive 500-600 miles per day without having to recharge during my trip, not worried about freezing to death in cold weather when the batteries run down, and not worried about it combusting in flooded conditions. Until they can compete with ICE cars, the EV is a luxury/novelty that I won't be spending money on, UNLESS I hit the power ball.
It IS zero trips to the gas station if you have an EV and you can charge it from your home - that applies to a lot of potential EV buyers. The EV's lower center of gravity allows it to stop faster as well as accelerate faster than a comparable ICE with comparable brakes. There are better health outcomes with EVs other than living longer (to 100 or more). EVs reduce the pollution in the air to promote more healthful breathing for ANY age group and I know many over 65 Villagers that would be helped by better breathing. Also, there was a roll-over accident with a gas golf cart last week. And many alcohol induced roll-overs in gas golf carts every year here in TV Land.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

The EV (green) push is a nightmare because it's a solution to a non-problem. Visit the Weather Club to hear why there is no climate change emergency, and why climate alarmist narratives are based on junk science ... The Villages Weather Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmurray View Post
My wife and I went to Vermont to enjoy the colors and cooler weather.
When we arrived the car rental company said they only had a Chevy Bolt EV. I tried to see if they had anything else and the answer was no.
We took off and when we crossed into Vermont we stopped at the welcome center and asked about charging stations and the guy laughed at us. He said he only had a list of 14 stations in the state.
We spent the the next day trying to go from charger to charger. 195 Mike range and over an hour to get to 80% charge. We lost two days watching the power display and could not focus on the scenery.
On day two we made it to Montpelier which was supposed to have 3 stations. 1st didn't work, second had unattended vehicle plugged in, and third was destroyed like someone took a hammer to it.
35 miles of charge left and 40 miles to nearest airport we took off, turned of radio and heater and pulled into car rental with 1 mile left.
Totally screwed 2 full days of vacation time. Don't fall for this EV crap. They are a joke and wasting millions of taxpayer dollars.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The EV's lower center of gravity allows it to stop faster as well as accelerate faster than a comparable ICE with comparable brakes.
I thought we were all about staying under the speed limit - or is that only golf carts.
Unless you’re on the turnpike, why do you need fast acceleration to go 30 or 35 MPH?
Old 12-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Mark View Post
I am very later to this post and admit I only read the first few pages. I did a quick google search on the number of gas stations in Vermont and came up with over 4,000. This is why I would never own an EV until the range is at 400 miles and the charging stations equal gas stations

Why would I want to limit myself and make travel hard.

I know EV may be he future, and thank you to the pioneers, but I'll wait until it's an even trade before I jump in.
After 500 miles I pull into the gas station of choice, fill up in under 5 minutes, then I'm good for another 500 miles.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
After 500 miles I pull into the gas station of choice, fill up in under 5 minutes, then I'm good for another 500 miles.
Anything that comes with government subsidies is an abuse of taxpayer monies.
Closed Thread

Tags
stations, vehicle, left, days, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.