Electric Vehicle nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It IS zero trips to the gas station if you have an EV and you can charge it from your home - that applies to a lot of potential EV buyers. The EV's lower center of gravity allows it to stop faster as well as accelerate faster than a comparable ICE with comparable brakes. There are better health outcomes with EVs other than living longer (to 100 or more). EVs reduce the pollution in the air to promote more healthful breathing for ANY age group and I know many over 65 Villagers that would be helped by better breathing. Also, there was a roll-over accident with a gas golf cart last week. And many alcohol induced roll-overs in gas golf carts every year here in TV Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1HggcfnHpo
Old 12-07-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
After 500 miles I pull into the gas station of choice, fill up in under 5 minutes, then I'm good for another 500 miles.

In my EV, I leave my house with a "full tank" of electricity. Saves a lot of time over going to a dirty gas station, filling with gas and getting a lung full of gas fumes.
I never have to do any maintenance like oil changes. That also saves time.

Every day driving I save hours.
On a long trip I stop every 200-300 miles, get out and use the restroom and get a snack, and spend maybe 10 minutes eating the snack, and the car's ready to go.

So I'm probably + (plus) a few hours on all my cumulative cross country trips, and - (minus) days worth of time with my everyday driving and lack of required maintenance and replacing broken ICE car parts over the life of the car.

But the beauty of an EV is way beyond just saving time over an ICE vehicle, it is the future.

Just look at the new Cybertruck. No more 12 volt architecture, all 48 volts! That's a change that's been long overdue!

Last edited by bopat; 12-07-2023 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 12-07-2023, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It IS zero trips to the gas station if you have an EV and you can charge it from your home - that applies to a lot of potential EV buyers. The EV's lower center of gravity allows it to stop faster as well as accelerate faster than a comparable ICE with comparable brakes. There are better health outcomes with EVs other than living longer (to 100 or more). EVs reduce the pollution in the air to promote more healthful breathing for ANY age group and I know many over 65 Villagers that would be helped by better breathing. Also, there was a roll-over accident with a gas golf cart last week. And many alcohol induced roll-overs in gas golf carts every year here in TV Land.
So you're saying they have better accelerartion and a lower center of gravity?

And this is important?

Oh, and charging is so easy... Except for those w/o a garage, or those living in apartment buildings and condos...

And could you refresh my memory... What type of EV do you own?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-07-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That's great, IF you live in certain areas... You know, where they actually HAVE Tesla charging stations...

Remember the Ford CEO who took a long trip in one of his own EVs and was quite dismayed by the experience?

'It was a really good reality check': Ford's CEO admits EV charging was 'challenging' during F-150 Lightning road trip — here are 3 big long-distance issues electric drivers face

Turn off the TV, research the topic in questions and then post your informed opinions. Did you even read the link that you posted? Was there any mention of Tesla superchargers?
Old 12-07-2023, 11:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
In my EV, I leave my house with a "full tank" of electricity. Saves a lot of time over going to a dirty gas station, filling with gas and getting a lung full of gas fumes.
I never have to do any maintenance like oil changes. That also saves time.

Every day driving I save hours.
On a long trip I stop every 200-300 miles, get out and use the restroom and get a snack, and spend maybe 10 minutes eating the snack, and the car's ready to go.

So I'm probably + (plus) a few hours on all my cumulative cross country trips, and - (minus) days worth of time with my everyday driving and lack of required maintenance and replacing broken ICE car parts over the life of the car.

But the beauty of an EV is way beyond just saving time over an ICE vehicle, it is the future.

Just look at the new Cybertruck. No more 12 volt architecture, all 48 volts! That's a change that's been long overdue!
The new Cybertruck is getting dismal reviews... Which is surprising...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-07-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yes, Tesla's profits have dropped by 44%...

Tesla’s Quarterly Profits Plunge 44% - The New York Times

And you're correct. Along the 95 corridor, there are plenty of charging stations. Unfortunately, that is not what is available for the rest of the country...

And you would be wrong. I have driven (and rode in) a Tesla. Cool car, but nothing that special...

OK, I'm WRONG. See how easy it is. Now, you try it without yeah butts. Tesla is profitable, you were wrong. Now, your turn.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
So you're saying they have better accelerartion and a lower center of gravity?

And this is important?

What might be important is his statement is not true. Center of gravity has nothing to do with acceleration or deceleration. (and an electric cart DOES NOT have a lower center of gravity but that was from a different post of his)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-07-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The new Cybertruck is getting dismal reviews... Which is surprising...
This guy's got around 18 million subscribers, and 16.5 million views on his review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOh12Uhg08

This guy's got around 3 million subscribers, and 4.1 million views on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg

Here's a review from Top Gear:
Tesla Cybertruck Review 2023 | Top Gear

They all seem pretty positive.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopat View Post
This guy's got around 18 million subscribers, and 16.5 million views on his review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOh12Uhg08

This guy's got around 3 million subscribers, and 4.1 million views on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg

Here's a review from Top Gear:
Tesla Cybertruck Review 2023 | Top Gear

They all seem pretty positive.
Yes... Those reviews are positive...

But what do you know! Others have different opinions!

negative cybertruck reviews - Google Search

-Tom Petty
Old 12-07-2023, 11:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Biden signed another executive order to eliminate all coal fired power plants.
Think about that. It will reduce the available power generation across the entire country. Any replacement power will need to come from natural gas, solar, or wind.
Using natural gas will drive up the cost of all oil derived energy. Building new power plants is expensive. Solar and wind are not reliable as supplying the base load needed to run the country. More EVs will create more demand - a lot of that at night - when wind and solar produces nothing.
One good think about executive’s orders, the next guy can trash them with stroke of pen.
Closed Thread

Tags
stations, vehicle, left, days, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.