Electric Vehicle nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2023, 09:37 AM
Default Electric Vehicle nightmare

My wife and I went to Vermont to enjoy the colors and cooler weather.
When we arrived the car rental company said they only had a Chevy Bolt EV. I tried to see if they had anything else and the answer was no.
We took off and when we crossed into Vermont we stopped at the welcome center and asked about charging stations and the guy laughed at us. He said he only had a list of 14 stations in the state.
We spent the the next day trying to go from charger to charger. 195 Mike range and over an hour to get to 80% charge. We lost two days watching the power display and could not focus on the scenery.
On day two we made it to Montpelier which was supposed to have 3 stations. 1st didn't work, second had unattended vehicle plugged in, and third was destroyed like someone took a hammer to it.
35 miles of charge left and 40 miles to nearest airport we took off, turned of radio and heater and pulled into car rental with 1 mile left.
Totally screwed 2 full days of vacation time. Don't fall for this EV crap. They are a joke and wasting millions of taxpayer dollars.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Sometimes you might need to use Google instead of asking people with minimal knowledge
“In the last year, the number of EVs on the road has nearly doubled, from 6,000 to 10,000, and Vermont has added 55 charging stations, for a total of 396.
Sep 20, 2023
Old 12-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmurray View Post
When we arrived the car rental company said they only had a Chevy Bolt EV. I tried to see if they had anything else and the answer was no.
We took off and when we crossed into Vermont we stopped at the welcome center and asked about charging stations and the guy laughed at us. He said he only had a list of 14 stations in the state.
We spent the the next day trying to go from charger to charger. 195 Mike range and over an hour to get to 80% charge. We lost two days watching the power display and could not focus on the scenery.
On day two we made it to Montpelier which was supposed to have 3 stations. 1st didn't work, second had unattended vehicle plugged in, and third was destroyed like someone took a hammer to it.
35 miles of charge left and 40 miles to nearest airport we took off, turned of radio and heater and pulled into car rental with 1 mile left.
Totally screwed 2 full days of vacation time. Don't fall for this EV crap. They are a joke and wasting millions of taxpayer dollars.
there are 350 charging stations in Vermont according to drive electric Vermont with more coming on line monthly , Vermont has the highest per capital rate of public charging availability in the United States according to Drive Electric Vermont . I looked this up only because all my nieces and nephews ski in Vermont and drive their EV s up there from the Boston area. A simple search and you would have found a map with easy directions to all the chargers and no I don’t have one ,but facts are facts
Old 12-03-2023, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Sometimes you might need to use Google instead of asking people with minimal knowledge
“In the last year, the number of EVs on the road has nearly doubled, from 6,000 to 10,000, and Vermont has added 55 charging stations, for a total of 396.
Sep 20, 2023
I think the post was more agenda seeking then about the difficulty in charging
Old 12-03-2023, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Can Chevy Bolts use Tesla Stations?
Old 12-03-2023, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Why would you accept a limited range car to tour with in the first place.
Surely the rental company or another location had a larger car more suitable to tour in?
You can barely get two people and purse in one of those things.
Old 12-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:

A friend of mine bought a Tesla a few years ago (admittedly, chargers were more scarce then). When he finally got rid of it, it was primarily a result of his Therapist's advice. He told me he had "range anxiety" every day he owned the thing. It was so bad, he almost couldn't function.

He was an idiot to have bought the thing in the first place, knowing he spent most of his time "on the road".

Customer Satisfaction scores for EV's are abysmal. The major automakers have inventory backing up, because most everyone who wants an EV, has already bought one. Something has to give soon, as EV's simply aren't the answer.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	JD Power.jpg
Views:	3254
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	101469  
Old 12-03-2023, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
A friend of mine bought a Tesla a few years ago (admittedly, chargers were more scarce then). When he finally got rid of it, it was primarily a result of his Therapist's advice. He told me he had "range anxiety" every day he owned the thing. It was so bad, he almost couldn't function.

He was an idiot to have bought the thing in the first place, knowing he spent most of his time "on the road".

Customer Satisfaction scores for EV's are abysmal. The major automakers have inventory backing up, because most everyone who wants an EV, has already bought one. Something has to give soon, as EV's simply aren't the answer.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare
the poster was complaining about Vermont , , a state that seems to be doing a good job of building charger stations , that’s all the post was about
Old 12-03-2023, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Sep 20, 2023

Yep, that why EV production down. They found out that most don’t want them and market drying up causing them lose even more money.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
there are 350 charging stations in Vermont according to drive electric Vermont with more coming on line monthly , Vermont has the highest per capital rate of public charging availability in the United States according to Drive Electric Vermont . I looked this up only because all my nieces and nephews ski in Vermont and drive their EV s up there from the Boston area. A simple search and you would have found a map with easy directions to all the chargers and no I don’t have one ,but facts are facts
Do your nieces & nephews drive Teslas? I wish them good luck. There is a difference between Teslas & Chevy Bolts. Additionally Vermont has steep inclines & cold weather, both of which affect EVs. I found independent complaints on Reddit about the Chevy Bolt range with others claiming 160 mile range. I also found the Chevy Bolt uses a type 2 charger & from Chargepoint, this: 'These locations typically have Level 2 stations that add about 25 miles of Range Per Hour' - which is incredibly damaging. 25 miles for an hour of charging, is that less than a half mile per minute? (This was specific to the Bolt & to Level 2 public chargers). It seems to me that the only use for a Bolt would be to charge it at home (overnight for about 10 hours) & then go pretty much nowhere. Hopefully work, shopping & doctors are all close by. It appears that there is an optional fast charger for the Bolt, but of course that option costs more money. So yes, all in all, I believe the OP was perfectly miserable.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:31 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
It seems to me that the only use for a Bolt would be to charge it at home (overnight for about 10 hours) & then go pretty much nowhere. Hopefully work, shopping & doctors are all close by.
P.S. I would like to thank you guys for making me do the research, I had no clue the Bolt was so gruesomely awful.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM

EV solves no problem I have now, and creates more. Until the range, availability/functionality of charging stations, and reduced reliance on China for battery raw materials arrives and has been solidly in place for at least 10 years, I'm not giving up my ICE. Could be interested in a hybrid, but am concerned about the complexity of two drive systems.

Not against EV. I have an EV golf cart. Works great for the Villages with no gas/exhaust smell, noise, and instant power availability. Comes home every night with at least a 50% charge left, and full charge by morning.

But for my vehicle that I want to jump in and drive halfway across the country and not think about it? ICE is the only way to go now.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

The first EV by GM was extremely popular as a commuter vehicle which it was designed for. They developed leading edge battery which they sold to Cheveron Oil and shelved.
A documentary was made “ Who killed the Electric Car”
Available on TUBI for free other streaming sources $3.59 to $3.99
GM EV1 1996-199….
Old 12-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,047 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
the poster was complaining about Vermont , , a state that seems to be doing a good job of building charger stations , that’s all the post was about
Quote:

It was?
Old 12-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

There's a reason the automakers are pushing back against Biden.
"In a public letter to President Biden, 3,882 car dealers spread across the country are asking that his administration slow down its proposed regulations mandating the production and distribution of electric vehicles."
thestreet.com

They interviewed the dealership owner who drafted the letter and he said his dealerships sold 2 EVs last month and a couple hundred non evs. The lots are clogged with cars that nobody wants and it's costing dealers millions in their floor plan interest payments.

Tags
stations, vehicle, left, days, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.