email Phishing

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts
Default email Phishing

Yesterday I received an email under the Wachovia heading indicating they were in the process of updating their security protocols for all on line banking customers. My Mozzilla Firefox security system caught it immediately and flagged it as fraudulent phishing.
I have forwarded the email to Wachovia On Line Services as well as the FL Attorney General's Office.

What is a little bothersome is the fact that SOMEONE has developed a link between my name, my email address and a Wachovia connection!!!!!! I have changed all my passwords. I am hesitant to change my email address because it is such a pain to get all contacts advised....we'll see.

I send this to alert any with interest. Make sure you have a good browser (like Mozilla or other) with phishing security as well as your non browsing security systems.

BTK

PS....there was a more general one going around about a month ago under the CitiBank logo...not quite as specific as this last one.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Default Re: email Phishing

As far as I know, no reputable company would send you an email telling you that they're updating information. So ---- if you see something like this, it's a scam.

Many times there will even be spelling errors in these messages. I dont think there's any link between your email address and the Wachovia site. I get many of these emails from banks/services that I'm not affiliated with.

Thanks for posting the info.

Jan
New Jersey
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's really not a link between you and your bank. It's pretty much generic -- they do it in a sequence, a bank at a time figuring that sooner or later they'll hit the jackpot with your bank. As to your email address, don't bother changing it. The phishers have programs that pretty much come up with any combo of names and numbers and send it out that way. However, if you've checked to be on your ISP's email directory, take that off. A lot get names that way (not all, but some).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,669 Times in 597 Posts

I'd bet it was more coincidence that you are a Wachovia customer.

I've gotten emails from (alledgedly) wells fargo, citibank and the queen of england telling me to update info or how to send me the $10,000,000 they're holding for me.

I let 'em trash in the spam filter and I try not to put my email out on the web anymore than required.

Thanks for the tip! good to keep a heads up.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

The one I get the most is from "Pay pal"--this is a payment method for e-bay, etc. I have never had a pay pal acct--yet they tell me in Re: need to confirm my information"--they actually had a "purchase" of a Dell computer supposedly coming out of my non-existent pay-pal acct. Always someone "phishing" . Just need to keep on our toes.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Yes, I get lots of Paypal ones, too. Seems to be a favorite of the internet baddies.
New Jersey
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.